Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   M8000 - No hook? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/m8000-no-hook-76064.html)

Bubba68CS 01-16-2011 12:16 AM

M8000 - No hook?

So, I've finished installing my Warn M8000 winch (pics to come tomorrow) - but uh...there's no hook. :confused: I've tried about every Google search I could think of and didn't find anything suggesting this to be a common issue.

So 2 questions:

1) Anyone else get shipped a winch without a hook?

2) The Basic Guide to Winching Techniques pamphlet that came with the winch shows hooking to a tree saver with a d-ring going through the cable loop end (rather than the hook) - so I'm assuming it is safe to use the thing without a hook? At the very least to stretch the rope (the main goal this weekend - last step of the install)?

One way or another, I'll get a hook, but unfortunately, I can't find anywhere local that stocks the things (unless you count the 4000 lb rated hooks Lowes/Home Depot/Menards sells) - so I'm ordering online or getting Amazon to send me the one I thought was coming in the box. :rolleyes:

YJPunisher213 01-16-2011 12:40 AM

My XRC10 came with a hook. Amazon always has good prices and the customer service is second to none. Alternatives for the hook would be places like Tractor Supply.

monkeee2002 01-16-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJPunisher213 (Post 992657)
My XRC10 came with a hook. Amazon always has good prices and the customer service is second to none. Alternatives for the hook would be places like Tractor Supply.

Most farming and tractor supply stores will have hooks, just be sure to get it rated for at least as much weight as your winch (8000). If you don't, you'll be creating a weak link in your recovery gear.

Bubba68CS 01-16-2011 12:59 AM

The weird thing is while it did not come with the hook - it did come with the solenoid mounting bracket everyone complains about them not including.

I really have no problems spending $20 on a hook...but it just seemed weird for it to not be included.

And yeah, I've been paying real close attention to the weight ratings - bought a d-ring and tree saver and did a lot of research on those ratings...I'll ensure the hook is of proper rating before purchasing.

Middleton 01-16-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJPunisher213

Hey yj how ya liking ur xrc10? I got mine on my tj for Xmas and mines been great. Any complaints on ur end or pros?
P.S. When I typed in yj, my iPhone corrected it to tj.... Hmmmm lol wonder what tht means!

Middleton 01-16-2011 01:29 AM

Oh and to stay on topic my XRC also came with a hook. I'm sure yours was just packaging error.

YJPunisher213 01-16-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Middleton (Post 992686)
Hey yj how ya liking ur xrc10? I got mine on my tj for Xmas and mines been great. Any complaints on ur end or pros?
P.S. When I typed in yj, my iPhone corrected it to tj.... Hmmmm lol wonder what tht means!

Freakin' LOVE IT!!! For the price I'd put it against any Warn or Ramsey. Had it 2 years now and its been dropped, submersed, over loaded, had a few run ins with trees........ this thing JUST WONT QUIT! :punk:

Plumber1 01-16-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba68CS (Post 992644)
So, I've finished installing my Warn M8000 winch (pics to come tomorrow) - but uh...there's no hook. :confused: I've tried about every Google search I could think of and didn't find anything suggesting this to be a common issue.

So 2 questions:

1) Anyone else get shipped a winch without a hook?

2) The Basic Guide to Winching Techniques pamphlet that came with the winch shows hooking to a tree saver with a d-ring going through the cable loop end (rather than the hook) - so I'm assuming it is safe to use the thing without a hook? At the very least to stretch the rope (the main goal this weekend - last step of the install)?

One way or another, I'll get a hook, but unfortunately, I can't find anywhere local that stocks the things (unless you count the 4000 lb rated hooks Lowes/Home Depot/Menards sells) - so I'm ordering online or getting Amazon to send me the one I thought was coming in the box. :rolleyes:

Did you try calling the guys you bought it from. I have never heard of a winch w/o a hook. :confused:

I do know that some jeepers remove the hook and install a thimble. check out this link Winch Safety Thimble