Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Western Regional Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f42/)
-   -   Big Bear in SoCal with the Arizona gang.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f42/big-bear-in-socal-with-the-arizona-gang-7617.html)

tiny terror 04-25-2007 02:39 PM

Big Bear in SoCal with the Arizona gang....

Ok, so Jack proposed a gathering of sorts back in Big Bear and I think it's a great idea. Brian offered up a date in August and I'd like to hear what the rest of you all think including dates, number of days you'd be willing to wheel, and where you'd like to say ie camping or hotel. Hell, even if you couldn't make it the whole time, one day would be better than none.

I think if we worked it right, splitting up if the group got real big or even if we wanted to run different difficulties. We could probably have a great weekend or so up there and run several areas. I know Brian knows a lot of the trails and so do Kevin, Chuck, and Eric I think.

What do you guys think? Who's up for something like that?

Unlimited 04-25-2007 03:59 PM

I'm up for a weekend gathering in Big Bear. There are trails there for every level of experience and Jeep mods. Plenty of camping and hotels as well. I'd be happy to help coordinate the weekend and lead some runs.

Perhaps we could even have a commemorative coffee cup made? "WF Western Region - First Annual Mountain Run" or something like that......

tiny, If you take point on this, I'll help as much as I can.

tiny terror 04-25-2007 04:09 PM

Given enough time, I think we could set up something that would be great fun for everyone. Let's start hearing the interest and start thinking about dates first. I think August is a great time frame but we want to make sure that Jack and the guys can get away for a weekend then.

I don't know the area up there, but I'm not above taking a trip to check out places to stay, snag some maps and sending out all the info everyone needs.

And just so no one is wondering, no I won't be leading any of the runs ;)

emills 04-25-2007 05:02 PM

I am always down for wheeling and meeting new people. We would need to keep tabs on group sizes and split up accordingly. Otherwise, I'm game.

Only date in August that is bad for me so far is the weekend of the 25th (but not even 100% booked yet). I have a lot of brithdays that month, but with enough prior planning I can swing it.

Eric

RedRubiTJ 04-25-2007 05:04 PM

If you guys travel from out east, ignore the Expedia stuff and take the 38 up the hill instead of the 30. The easiest off ramp would be North on Ford st and right at the 38 but you can also head up from Beaumont or Yuciapa.

There are a large number of trails in the territory, including John Bull, a pic from Dirtopia:
http://www.dirtopia.com/w/images/f/fa/BigBear-0055.jpg

A good starting point for trail info: San Bernardino County at Dirtopia

Not much of a question.... I'll be there.

1BLKJP 04-25-2007 07:00 PM

Ah, figured it was my big mouth that got this thread started so I better jump in here and post. :D

Sorry if I somehow made it seem in your public thread that I just wanted to come out and run something hard. It's really just about gettin out and wheelin with some good people on WF. I could honestly not care what we run, but it would be fun to get out of the heat and get a little trail time in to boot. I'll be in Huntington Beach for Labor Day so that's the only weekend that's out for me in August. Everything else I'm good for. I think that Donnie mentioned something about coming and I would imagine Kyle might have his rig in shape by that time too. This is good stuff and I think it will be a hoot to sit around a camp fire and share some cold beverage's of choice with you all. Officially you are still the largest gathering of WF people in the country to have actually met each other. :D

tiny terror 04-25-2007 07:39 PM

see what happens when you mention something casually around here :D

RedRubiTJ 04-25-2007 07:45 PM

It was your big mouth :D, but I don't think you implied that in the least. All of us who have been on the trails for a while realize that's its not always about how much of a challenge the trail you are on as much as it is meeting people in person that you've encountered online, making new friends and revisiting old ones.

I look forward to meeting many more of you all in the future.

I checked the usual haunts and saw no other planned BB events for the weekend Brian suggested so I would say Aug 17-19 look good.

And yes, watch what you say around tiny, she'll run with it no matter what it is :).

emills 04-25-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRubiTJ (Post 75965)
And yes, watch what you say around tiny, she'll run with it no matter what it is :).

Actually - based on her posts, she'll run with her own thoughts regardless of what is in the post. LUckily, she doesn't hi-jack real conversations like that (at least - not too much) ;)

tiny terror 04-25-2007 08:02 PM

Much love, Eric, much love.

1BLKJP 04-26-2007 01:04 PM

Good stuff. I'd say lets run with it then and start planning something out for that weekend and whoever can run with us then great.

tiny terror 04-27-2007 06:00 PM

Ok, what's the general opinion on camping or staying in a hotel. I haven't got any camping gear, so it might be cheaper for me in the end to stay somewhere.

The date is fine for me but are we going to make it a three day excursion or two? With the guys coming from so far away, I'm willing to stay three days and go home dog ass tired.

So....... camping or not camping and how long do you think you can stay. Sound off.

RedRubiTJ 04-27-2007 09:02 PM

I'll be in the cabin for most nights although if enough are camping I may join them for at least one. If someone needs gear, I've got about everything. Also, depending on the situaution I may be able to put a few up for the night or trip. I am staying (days) until the trail runs are done with and everyone wants to go home.

Unlimited 04-27-2007 09:12 PM

I'll be camping at Hanna Flats for the weekend. I'll be going up on Friday morning and stay till Sunday afrernoon.

Perhaps we can do a get together/pot luck dinner at the campground on Friday night then sit around the campfire and swap lies, er, I mean stories....:D

We can do a big Saturday run, and then maybe a night run for anyone interested. And perhaps a Sunday morning run.

It will be easier to plan runs once we know who all is going

RedRubiTJ 04-27-2007 09:28 PM

I will be more than happy with what everyone else goes with. If Brian is going up FRI morning I will prolly go up THURS night (not to one up so much as more rest - the man is an animal). One thing I would really, really like to do while we are up there is hit up Bear Mountain Brewing for an evening.

emills 04-27-2007 10:03 PM

Mmmmmm...Beer

The wife does not really care for wheeling or camping. She will do either, but if I dare ask for both - I will get a hell no. So I will be crashing at my cabin - but hook up for wheeling.

Eric

RedRubiTJ 04-27-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emills (Post 76850)
Mmmmmm...Beer

The wife does not really care for wheeling or camping. She will do either, but if I dare ask for both - I will get a hell no. So I will be crashing at my cabin - but hook up for wheeling.

Eric

You need to pull those apron strings off for a weekend :D. You know Kenna would be happy as long as we drop the girls off at your place for the night. Or just bring her along (for dinner at BMBC).

emills 04-28-2007 09:04 AM

Oh - I'll be bringing her along to BMBC, she is used to that. But doubt it on the camping part. We shall see - we do have some time here. But I did get it written on the calendar - so we are inked.

Eric

1BLKJP 05-01-2007 05:47 PM

I'm not really worried about the drive or the distance. It's really not too far away from us out here. About 350 miles I think and probably 5 hours if I time it right leaving from PHX.

I'm game to camp if that's what everyone is wanting to do. Also I'm leaving the trails up to the experienced ones that have ran in the area. By the sounds I'm hearing with Cabins and such there are quite a few of you who probably know the area very well. This trip is going to be one that I just sit back in the driver seat and let everyone else tell me where to go. Just want to get out and meet some new people (Take advantage of it as usually I'm not game for this. :D :D :D) and have some fun.

tiny terror 05-06-2007 01:08 PM

Oh cool. Guys don't tell Jack that I have no idea..... yes, Jack, go over that. Yeah, there's a trail. No, that's not a drop off....... course not. :D

Silent 05-07-2007 12:40 AM

you know im up for it i should have my lift and tires on my explorer by then. i've got tow hooks coming next week

1BLKJP 05-07-2007 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 79466)
Oh cool. Guys don't tell Jack that I have no idea..... yes, Jack, go over that. Yeah, there's a trail. No, that's not a drop off....... course not. :D

If you'd have been on the trail Joe and I ran this weekend you would've realized your statements weren't too far off. :D :D :D Be nice Tiny or I'll make you drive my rig for awhile in August. :D

tiny terror 05-07-2007 10:11 AM

Now Jack, do you really expect me to be nice? Really? Hmmmm. That's so odd that you think that.....

We're going to have to work on this delusional thing you got going on.

No seriously Jack, that's not a painter (cougar). It's a big kitty. Hey, I think he likes you.

1BLKJP 05-07-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 79792)
Now Jack, do you really expect me to be nice? Really? Hmmmm. That's so odd that you think that.....

We're going to have to work on this delusional thing you got going on.

No seriously Jack, that's not a painter (cougar). It's a big kitty. Hey, I think he likes you.

Woooo-saaaa Tiny, Wooooo-saaaaa :D :D :D

tiny terror 05-08-2007 09:15 AM

Oh my god Jack, I didn't know you had tourettes.

RedRubiTJ 05-08-2007 09:42 AM

Boak to topic: Lets take a head count for a WF (1st Annual?) Western Regional Trail Run.

Dates: Friday, Aug 17 PM to Sunday, Aug 19 PM.

Difficulty: Easy to moderately difficult depending on attendees.

33's and good driving or a locker will get you through everything up there. In the meantime I will be running as many of the trails up there as possible and see what this season's conditions are like. If you have a request to run specific trails/times (night run?) post up here as well.

Obviously, I'm in. I will either be at the cabin or camping, I'm not certain yet. Likely to be up there Thurs PM or Fri AM.

Unlimited 05-08-2007 10:05 AM

I'm in. I'll be camping at Hanna Flats from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon.

I'd even be happy to lead a few runs....
Like:

Friday Sunset run to Butler Peak (easy)

Saturday Night run through Holcomb Creek / Larga flats (moderate - difficult)

I would like to Run John Bull on Saturday morning.(I've never done it so I won't be leading).

Anyone up for a pot luck on Friday / Saturday night at the campground?

RedRubiTJ 05-08-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited (Post 79988)
I'm in. I'll be camping at Hanna Flats from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon.

I'd even be happy to lead a few runs....
Like:

Friday Sunset run to Butler Peak (easy)

Saturday Night run through Holcomb Creek / Larga flats (moderate - difficult)

I would like to Run John Bull on Saturday morning.(I've never done it so I won't be leading).

Anyone up for a pot luck on Friday / Saturday night at the campground?

That all sounds good. I will be on John Bull this Saturday so I will let you know. For the milder rigs they could either do a ride along on John Bull or split the group up and do Jacoby and Gold Mtn.

Some other trails I might be interested in doing are Deep Creek / Dishpan Springs and Pontiac Sluice / Onyx Summit.

I almost forgot, I heard something not too long ago that Big Bear "may" be closing access to all trails due to fire danger. However if all adults (drivers and passengers) take a fire safety course up there they can be on the trails. As I learn more I will let you know.

emills 05-08-2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRubiTJ (Post 79995)
That all sounds good. I will be on John Bull this Saturday so I will let you know. For the milder rigs they could either do a ride along on John Bull or split the group up and do Jacoby and Gold Mtn.

I am in. I am not going to drag everyone down on John Bull. So I will either ride along with someone or I will lead a group through Jacoby/Gold Mountain.

I will be staying at my cabin. So I will have to see as times get closer and plans get more firm as to what night runs or campfire drinking time I will be down for.

Eric

1BLKJP 05-08-2007 06:00 PM

I'm in and am game for running anything at any time. Don't know what the lodging situaton will be yet, but I'm sure I'll just camp wherever the others are.

Any kind of pot luck, fire drinking (Or non fire drinking depending on the conditions) is fine with me.