Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Build Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/)
-   -   My 2000 TJ Thread (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/my-2000-tj-thread-76276.html)

nastyrider17 01-17-2011 03:44 PM

My 2000 TJ Thread
 
This thread is for my 2000 sport edition 4.0l 5spd. I bought it toward the end of last summer with 89k on it. so far I've put about 4500 miles on it with only minimal problems. This is where I am going to be showing off my new upgrades as I go along, and the one's that I have done in the past. All comments/criticism is wanted regardless of if they are good or bad, as I want this thing to turn out good.

Here is a picture taken a week or so after I bought it.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...background.jpg

How it sits now with a 2inch BB (Not 100% sure on this though, it came with it), 31" BFG all terrains, and trimmed fender flares.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...223101358b.jpg

I will update with new pictures later tonight after I get off from work. Thanks.

Lawngnome 01-17-2011 04:08 PM

Nice, what all do you plan to do to it?

Simplegreenvr6 01-17-2011 05:25 PM

Just out of curiosity why did you trim the fenderS?

nastyrider17 01-17-2011 05:42 PM

Hopefully in the next few weeks i can save up and get 2 12" subs to compliment my kicker mids and highs. after that im going to do a 2.5" rough country lift kit, some nicer wheels, and other little things. I have a uniden cb radio sitting in my garage waiting to be installed I just need some suggestions for a mounting place.

I trimmed my flares because I like the look better. That`s all that matters in the end to me.

nastyrider17 01-17-2011 08:02 PM

Here is my new kicker speakers in the sound bar. I also have the in-dash ones. The sound quality is really good but they definitely need subs to go with them.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...117112043a.jpg

This is my JVC head unit and custom Ipod/cell phone dock. I made it out of plexiglass in about 20 minutes. Once the weather warms up I'm going to spray paint it flat black to match the dashboard.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...117112043d.jpg

Right now the question is subs or lift. It will take me a while to save up for either of them because I make 25$ a week on average. I think I may need to look for a 2nd job.

Simplegreenvr6 01-17-2011 08:55 PM

Lift. I had those kickers in my Jetta. They were sweet when I had 2 12" in the trunk, but when the subs got stolen :banghead: the speakers lacked bass. I am looking to upgrade sound. Have heard good things about Alpine and Pioneer. What size speakers are running in your dash and sound bar? 4.5" and 5.25" respectively? I could be wrong.

nastyrider17 01-17-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplegreenvr6 (Post 996442)
Lift. I had those kickers in my Jetta. They were sweet when I had 2 12" in the trunk, but when the subs got stolen :banghead: the speakers lacked bass. I am looking to upgrade sound. Have heard good things about Alpine and Pioneer. What size speakers are running in your dash and sound bar? 4.5" and 5.25" respectively? I could be wrong.

I'll take your advice.

I just bought the factory replacement ones from Quadratec. They just plugged right in but at first I had no sound. What I did was take them all out again and reinstall them and put new butt connectors in my wiring harness to make sure there was still a good connection. All good for now.

nastyrider17 01-18-2011 08:02 PM

No school today because of a snow day so I just worked on the Jeep.:)

I got both of my pro comp fog lights on, cleaned the inside out a little bit, and started to look for places to mount my cb. Hopefully tomorrow after school I can have that done. So far I'm thinking that I'm going to take the 3 switches for the fog lights, rear defroster, and rear wiper out. Then relocate those in a different place so I could mount the cb in there. That would leave the speaker at the bottom exposed so it would be easier to hear than if it were tucked behind the dash.

Here's some pics just for fun:

Here she is with the new fog lights. I need it to warm up for a day so I can wash all of the salt off of it, I can barely see out of the rear window.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...J/DSC_0047.jpg

Close up of the passenger side light with the cover on it.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...J/DSC_0028.jpg

nastyrider17 01-28-2011 09:26 PM

This morning I got up early and went out jeep shopping for a little while. He's looking for a 4cyl TJ for under $5000. PM me if you know of any for sale that fit into those categories.

After stopping for some Dunkin Donuts to get some coffee, we decided to do a quick little trail in my Jeep. It snowed yesterday, so the snow was knee deep. There were a few snowmobile tracks going down the trail, so they pulled me off to the side and I started sliding sideways/backwards, digging myself deeper with every move I made. After 3 and a half hours of jacking it up with the high lift (which is now bent), shoveling out the bottom, and sticking trees underneath, I got it out. I was quite frustrated to say the least.

All jacked up while stuffing the tires with branches.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...0128111517.jpg

The first of about 20 spots I got stuck in.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...0128111312.jpg

EDIT: My front license plate got ripped off by the deep snow...

nastyrider17 02-01-2011 05:22 PM

I had this thread moved to the TJ forum because of some model specific questions and problems that I have.

1. Earlier today while out to get lunch, I turned on my jeep and it just died. I did this a few times then it started running fine again. I want to know what was wrong and if this will get worse because I use this as a daily driver.

2. Right now I have a NV3550 transmission with a bad 2nd gear syncro. How hard would it be to swap an ax15 tranny into it and upgrade the axles? I'm guessing a Ford 8.8 in the rear is the way to go but what about up front?

3. Where can I get some touch up paint in my color? I've checked a few different stores and websites but found nothing.

Thanks.

Phil05LJ 02-01-2011 05:33 PM

Although mine is not yellow, I found Mopar touch-up paint in a bottle with a brush on eBay from a dealer in Arizona; Avondale Dodge. As for your technical questions, I'll let an expert help you out.:)

nastyrider17 02-06-2011 12:21 PM

Bump for old questions to be answered and some new ones too. I really need help here people.

Quote:

1. Earlier today while out to get lunch, I turned on my jeep and it just died. I did this a few times then it started running fine again. I want to know what was wrong and if this will get worse because I use this as a daily driver.
This happened again while out snowboarding today. Also I keep blowing the turn signal fuse and my signals don't work. When I try to turn the hazards on it makes a "ZZZZZZZ" noise. Could this be a flasher relay that went bad? When I bought the jeep it had a bad one in it and the dealership put a new one in. Maybe they didn't install it right?

Another thing is when I turn my key to start the Jeep it will just beep so I have to take it out and turn it the other way or hold it. Could this be the chip in the key gone bad?

Quote:

2. Right now I have a NV3550 transmission with a bad 2nd gear syncro. How hard would it be to swap an ax15 tranny into it and upgrade the axles? I'm guessing a Ford 8.8 in the rear is the way to go but what about up front?
I decided I would keep the stock axles and stay on 31's until mine wear out. After that get some 33's and when I snap the stock shafts I'll get some upgraded ones.

I still want to know what I would need to swap an ax15 in though.

Oh yea, and lockers. Would the Eaton Detroit Trutracs be a good LSD for all around off roading? Also, how can I tell what gearing I have?

Usmctank84 02-06-2011 01:45 PM

Yours is the same set up as mine is and they are 3.07 gears. I've been looking to swap axles out and I'm going to do the 8.8's in the rear and the 4 cyl Cherokee front axle that have the stock 4.10 gears. I've had Aussie lockers in the past and it's def. The way to go. 33's are helacious on the 3.07 gears :(

nastyrider17 02-06-2011 07:49 PM

The biggest problem of all this is my budget. Right now I work about 4-5 hours a week making minimum wage, it just doesn't cut it.

With that said I wouldn't have enough to get a new axle, then get lockers for it. Why wouldn't you just get new gears for your current front axle?

Are 4.10 gears the way to go with 33's too? I haven't really looked into gearing that much yet.

nastyrider17 02-08-2011 07:57 AM

Bump.

White2000TJ 02-08-2011 10:12 AM

Nice looking Jeep.

nastyrider17 02-15-2011 08:03 PM

Thanks White2000TJ.

I bought some spray on rubber coating earlier today to coat the rims. I put 2 coats on a section of the rim to see if it will hold up tomorrow. I know a kid who drives a Civic and did this and came out really good. I wonder how many weird looks I'm going to get tomorrow.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...0215112021.jpg

ellman605 02-15-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyrider17 (Post 1058544)
Thanks White2000TJ.

I bought some spray on rubber coating earlier today to coat the rims. I put 2 coats on a section of the rim to see if it will hold up tomorrow. I know a kid who drives a Civic and did this and came out really good. I wonder how many weird looks I'm going to get tomorrow.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...0215112021.jpg

Hmm...lemme know how that works

nastyrider17 02-15-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellman605 (Post 1058631)
Hmm...lemme know how that works

Will do. If It holds up good tomorrow I plan on doing all 4 after school.

ellman605 02-15-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyrider17 (Post 1058678)
Will do. If It holds up good tomorrow I plan on doing all 4 after school.

I'm lookin to paint my rims black. Seems like a neat option

nastyrider17 02-15-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellman605

I'm lookin to paint my rims black. Seems like a neat option

Yep and apparently it's easy to remove if you don't like it or want to take it off for any other reason.

nastyrider17 02-21-2011 06:40 PM

Sorry for taking so long with the pictures, I have been really busy the past few days. It went on pretty good, but because I did it on a cold day and kind of rushed it, the paint ran in many spots. It makes it look like they were sprayed with line-x. Overall I would say it is totally worth it and would recommend it to anyone. It's a great look for only 32$.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...0221111854.jpg

nastyrider17 03-03-2011 11:01 PM

I got a quick question for y'all. I need a spare key so I bought a new one with a chip off of quadratec. Does the dealer have to cut it and program it or does it just need to be cut?

IndyJeepMan 03-03-2011 11:33 PM

Hey! from another 2000 Yella TJ :)

Nice fender trim, now you just gotta flatten em' ;)

Yours has a chip in the key? Mine doesn't.

You can also get your paint which is is PYH for solar yellow.

Spray Paint Accessories

$20 bucks, but its good stuff! I have a can in the garage now, they custom fill it and mix the paint its a reputable business.

Wrangler06 03-03-2011 11:36 PM

chip keys only work with vehicles that have the sercurity system for them..doubt jeeps have them..my 06 doesnt..but if you do have a security system and want the chip key programed to it a lot of places do it, not just dealers..i work at a True Value and we cut and program them..its about 60 bucks

Zetsumei 03-04-2011 08:43 AM

Hey. I have a 2001 TJ and I like a few of the things you've done. Do you have more pictures of your rims and what you did to paint them. Thanks! :)

nastyrider17 03-04-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan
Hey! from another 2000 Yella TJ :)

Nice fender trim, now you just gotta flatten em' ;)

Yours has a chip in the key? Mine doesn't.

You can also get your paint which is is PYH for solar yellow.

Spray Paint Accessories

$20 bucks, but its good stuff! I have a can in the garage now, they custom fill it and mix the paint its a reputable business.

Thanks for the link, I'll be ordering some of that soon.

I want to make my fenders into flatties like yours but it's too cold out to work on the jeep.

nastyrider17 03-04-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrangler06
chip keys only work with vehicles that have the sercurity system for them..doubt jeeps have them..my 06 doesnt..but if you do have a security system and want the chip key programed to it a lot of places do it, not just dealers..i work at a True Value and we cut and program them..its about 60 bucks

How can I tell if I have the security system? If I don't can I just have the key with the chip cut to match mine?

Zetsumei 03-04-2011 10:41 AM

I may be wrong but I think that jeeps up to like 2004 didn't have chips in the keys so yours shouldn't have a chip. What key did you have normally? The chip is either in your original key or had to be kept on your key ring.

nastyrider17 03-04-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetsumei (Post 1096384)
I may be wrong but I think that jeeps up to like 2004 didn't have chips in the keys so yours shouldn't have a chip. What key did you have normally? The chip is either in your original key or had to be kept on your key ring.

For my rims I removed them from the Jeep, wiped them off with some simple green and a rag, taped off the tires so they wouldn't get hit with overspray, and sprayed them. I used this stuff that I got at lowes called Plasti-Dip. It goes for about $8 a bottle but it's worth it. I'll try to get some better pictures up later on.

This is a picture of my key. I have no clue if it is original or not.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...0304111153.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.