Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   adventures with wildlife (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/adventures-with-wildlife-7640.html)

skeeter 04-26-2007 09:24 AM

adventures with wildlife

So there I was boogy'n down the super slab and chugg'n coffee when all of a sudden the coffee did what coffee does and I had to find a place to stop real quick, I whipped off at an exit I knew had room to park my semi and proceeded to jump out of the cab in a cloud of dust while doing the trucker version of the potti dance.
So I'm standing there writing my name in the dust and I'm just about to cross the T when I hear a huffling n snuffling behind me and I instantly run out of ink so to speak. the area of Montana I travel is serious bear country and not the puffy pants funny hat wearing kinda bears, these are big, furry and have lots of teeth and it sounds like he's close enough to give me a reach around.
Well, I stand there trying to figure out what to do, do I try and jump over the frame rails to get to the driver door? nah, I'm not much of a jumper and I'd probably get tangled up in the air lines.
Do I try and run down the off ramp and wave somebody down for help since bears can't run as fast down hill?, nah nobody would stop for a bald guy running down the highway in the middle of the night with pee running down his leg.
I figure I better just turn around and face it like a man... ok ok, face it like scared rabbit with pee running down his leg.
Anyway, I slowly turn my head to look over my shoulder, I can't make out whats there in the dark but I can definitely see something by the tree line and it doesn't look like a bear so I turn on my headlight (I wear an LED light that clips to the brim of my hat) and not 20 feet from where i was standing is a herd of about 15 elk, I couldn't make out any bulls in the herd but I wasn't gonna wait around to find out, I swear they were laughing their buts off as I drove away.:D

So, since JEEPS are all about getting out and communing with nature, any of you have funny, scary or interesting wildlife stories?
I've got a bunch more but I want to hear others.

stainless 04-26-2007 09:29 AM

Skeeter, that might be the funniest story I've heard all week.

amerijeep 04-26-2007 09:47 PM

Always nice to have a coffee story.

skeeter 04-26-2007 10:30 PM

I thought it was funny...

amerijeep 04-26-2007 10:54 PM

It is. I would've paid to have seen you.

bluvikng 04-26-2007 11:02 PM

Yeah, me too...........:D

rebelBullDawg325 04-26-2007 11:05 PM

i ran over an armadiilo once....

bluvikng 04-26-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelBullDawg325 (Post 76461)
i ran over an armadiilo once....

That's not very scarry...........:D

tiny terror 04-26-2007 11:10 PM

it was to the armadilo.

04moneypit 04-26-2007 11:15 PM

Tiny, I laughed my arse off. Good one.

bluvikng 04-26-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 76466)
it was to the armadilo.

You definitely see beyond the norm. I mean that with the utmost respect. Your ability to see things in a different light, is awesome. You are a keeper............:D

Chickdey 04-26-2007 11:30 PM

Man this is great stuff....ya'll are funny :)

tiny terror 04-26-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluvikng (Post 76474)
You definitely see beyond the norm. I mean that with the utmost respect. Your ability to see things in a different light, is awesome. You are a keeper............:D

And I thought I was the height of normallity.....

Bet he screamed "At least it was a Jeep" as the tires connected with his armor plating, in a high pitched oh shite kinda way.

bluvikng 04-26-2007 11:39 PM

Ya got me to chuckle..........darn..........:D

RedRubiTJ 04-26-2007 11:47 PM

Not as funny but here's another:

A few years back camping in the Tioga Pass on Lee Vining Creek. Fishing and drinking all day decided to take an evening nap. A few hours later, after nightfall the rest of the camp goes to bed and I'm wide awake so I am in the tent reading a book. Time goes by and from outside the tent, I hear my ice chest open (distinct creaking noise). I figure it's one of the kids from the neighboring campsites. I give a holler and listen - nothing in return. I exit the tent, close the ice chest and sit at the picnic table and proceed to do some more reading with a lantern. After some time, one of the bushes starts to move. There is a big ass bear sitting there, shes now moving in on the ice chest again and has been sitting there five feet away from me for probably close to an hour now. I wake up the camp, have my uncle and father in their van turn on the lights and honk the horn. Bear scampers off...

Dare2BSquare 04-26-2007 11:51 PM

No jeep in this story, but it's still good.

My brother-in-law goes deer hunting in West Virginia. Gets back to camp and can't find his wallet. He thinks, "Aw, it's probably in the truck." Looks for the wallet for two days with no luck. Goes to Pennsylvania and hunts for a couple of days, then decides to go back to WV to finish out his hunt.
He shoots a nice buck in the area he was hunting the first day. Goes over to get his deer and beside it lays his wallet.

jjseel 04-27-2007 12:02 AM

Way back in the olden days...
we used to go to Colorado every year, and when I was about 14 I got a new back pack and tent, etc. We went to this spot way out in the boonies (take the two lane 20 miles to the gravel road go about 10 miles to the dirt road, etc) parked the camper and hiked about 2 miles up the mountain to a large beaver pond. All the way, my Dad was showing me tracks of animals, and bear claw scratches way up in the trees...I pitched my tent and made a nice campsite by the pond, then went back to the camper for dinner. Well, we ate and told stories until bedtime, I got my stuff together and strapped on my knife and Dad's big bowie, and set out. All the way up the trail the bush shadows were jumping up at me. I finally got to camp, made sure all the food was hanging away from the tent, and went to sleep. All of the sudden I woke up to hear heavy footsteps around my tent, and all the stories I had heard were going through my mind. I lay there listening, not making a move or a sound, just waiting to be killed horribly, till I went to sleep.

The next morning, my family came up the mountain and hollared at me to get up. I opened the tent flap and there was a HUGE pile of beaver crap right outside my tent door! I could barely move from being so still all night. My Dad could barely move from laughing at me after telling the story.

kljip 04-27-2007 12:51 AM

I was expecting something amuzing at the end...:( :rolleyes:

mmasuperman12 04-27-2007 01:18 AM

as i clicked this thread i heard a rustling outside and a damned raccoon was trying to get into the trash, im gonna get the lil bastid, although they are kinda cute

OdhinnsChick 04-27-2007 07:32 AM

This isn't a jeep story but a bronco 2 story :D
When I was a kid, I went hunting with my dad and uncle. They bagged this huge buck and made me sit in the back with it. I was only around 5 or 6 and that thing scared the crap outta me. His big black eyes staring at me was quite a freaky experience. I thought for sure he was going to start moving around.

Odhinn 04-27-2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdhinnsChick (Post 76547)
This isn't a jeep story but a bronco 2 story :D
When I was a kid, I went hunting with my dad and uncle. They bagged this huge buck and made me sit in the back with it. I was only around 5 or 6 and that thing scared the crap outta me. His big black eyes staring at me was quite a freaky experience. I thought for sure he was going to start moving around.

SO that why I wake up with you staring at me with that strange look. I thought you were just a bit crazy:D

skeeter 04-27-2007 08:21 AM

Now this is more like it :D
I knew you guys could come up with some good forest critter stories.

BTW, they don't have to be funny or include JEEPS, any encounter with wildlife is interesting.

When I was 16 I had this old topless Baja bug I built from spare parts out of my dads "the pile" this thing was a serious death trap but was loads of fun out on the farm roads.:D
My buddy Billy and I were headed home from a party late one night going the back way because, now don't tell anybody but we were slightly inebriated :eek: anyway, we were going down this old gravel road and see a man standing on the side of the road, this is out in the middle of nowhere but it's also the middle of farm country, you stop and help people without a second thought out there, so I ease to a stop and suddenly Billy is practically laying in my lap screaming GO GO GO at the top of his lungs, I look over trying to figure out what's got his undies all up in a bunch and realize the "guy" standing on the side of the road is actually a black bear standing on it's hind legs...
I don't think that Volkswagen ever went faster, I was grabbing gears and standing on the throttle trying to squeeze every ounce of speed I could out of her and she was doing good until we went sliding around the next corner and Thump thump thump thump, we hit a porcupine and blew out the right front tire :eek:
We decided that getting home to change our shorts was more important than changing the tire so by the time we got there we were running on the rim. and quite sober :D

Adventurous 04-27-2007 12:02 PM

Your stories crack me up...I can't stop laughing!!!

daddyjeep 04-27-2007 12:42 PM

You have to be pretty drunk to confuse a bear for a man. Hey, look at that guy with really short legs in the fur coat, lets give him a ride:D buuuuurp

emills 04-27-2007 12:59 PM

OK - that last comment there got me laughing out loud at my desk! :D

Eric

OdhinnsChick 04-27-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 76628)
You have to be pretty drunk to confuse a bear for a man. Hey, look at that guy with really short legs in the fur coat, lets give him a ride:D buuuuurp

lol yeah, I want whatever he was drinkin! :D

Adventurous 04-27-2007 02:15 PM

Not really a funny story but it scared the crap out of me. I got laid off from my job in 2004 and decided to take the summer off. I've been working on hiking all of the 4,000 foot mountains in the northeast and decided to take a solo backpacking trip in the Adirondacks to bag a few of the remote peaks. I hiked out to a site at Lake Colden and set up my tent. I chose this spot because I knew there was a good chance that other hikers would be around (there ended up being 2 other groups). It was raining lightly all day so I hung out in the tent after I hiked Marshall. Before it got dark, I made sure that I went pee (I don't like to pee in the dark especially when I'm alone). As darkness set in, I was feeling that urge to pee again and debated leaving the tent. As I was thinking about taking another pee break, I started hearing a stomping, snuffling, and snorting noise. It got progressively louder until the sound was right outside the door of my little solo backpacking tent. Turns out it was a pack of three bears...I know this because they wandered over to where the bear bags were hung and stole someone's food. There was a group of guys staying in a lean-to watching the whole thing. I spent the rest of the night trying to figure out what I could use to pee in if I couldn't hold it anymore. I didn't sleep at all. I woke up the next morning to find all kinds of prints inches from my tent. I decided to pack up and head home. It was the first and last time that I backpacked alone.

Dare2BSquare 04-27-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventurous (Post 76646)
It was the first and last time that I backpacked alone.

That's not a good idea, even without the bears!!!

Adventurous 04-27-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 76652)
That's not a good idea, even without the bears!!!

I do a lot of things solo because I can't get people to go with me. I do make it a point to go to places where others will be. I've hiked solo more times than I've hiked with people. I just won't do it backpacking again.

Dare2BSquare 04-27-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventurous (Post 76658)
I do a lot of things solo because I can't get people to go with me. I do make it a point to go to places where others will be. I've hiked solo more times than I've hiked with people. I just won't do it backpacking again.

Maybe you should try bathing?!:eek: :eek: :eek: