Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Stock Tire Carrier Debate: Any Proof? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-tire-carrier-debate-any-proof-76425.html)

CorpJeep 01-18-2011 02:32 PM

Stock Tire Carrier Debate: Any Proof?
 
Guys, I've done a lot of research on this forum and there's a lot of people saying the stock tire carrier and/or tailgate hinges will eventually breakdown if using an oversized tire (35"). Others seem to have been using this setup for years and have had no problems. I wanted to find out if anyone ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED problems where their tailgate/hinges actually did come apart from using this setup. I know the Jeep wasn't designed for such a heavier load, but just wanted to see if people were actually affected!

Droelle 01-18-2011 02:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorpJeep
Guys, I've done a lot of research on this forum and there's a lot of people saying the stock tire carrier and/or tailgate hinges will eventually breakdown if using an oversized tire (35"). Others seem to have been using this setup for years and have had no problems. I wanted to find out if anyone ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED problems where their tailgate/hinges actually did come apart from using this setup. I know the Jeep wasn't designed for such a heavier load, but just wanted to see if people were actually affected!

Been running mine 6 months now no problem. I cut off the tall brake light because you couldn't see it over the 35. I put a small led light in the middle of the tire.

Sent from my thread killing droid!

ESP 01-18-2011 03:01 PM

Ugh...I have nothing to add to this thread but I want some KM2s.

Mike_3303 01-18-2011 03:22 PM

I have 33's for a few years not without any problems, smaller than the 35's but still bigger than stock. I've done light offroading with it without anyproblems, but i dont think i would trust it with anything more rough than what i do. If you notice when you shut the tailgate how much the tire shakes, just emagine the kind of strain on the factory mount when you're bouncing around offroad. I rather spend the money on a bumper and tire carrier than have the mount rip off the tailgate. I know quadratec and other sites have a stronger stock mount for a lot less money than a whole new bumper. Just depends on what you're doing with your jeep, and how often.

daggo66 01-18-2011 03:53 PM

I have read of many issues with broken carriers and cracked swing gates on another forum. You may get by for a while, but it will cost you much more in the long run.

clear lake jeepn 01-18-2011 03:59 PM

I think he was looking for some actual proof. Surely with all the debate on this topic, there is someone out there that has some pics and can attest to any actual damage. 35 on mine for over 40K....no problems to speak of yet. And NO...I dont flog it to death on the trails..but we see our fair share of time off road. It handles the curbs at the mall really well too!!!

clear lake jeepn 01-18-2011 04:01 PM

Daggo....can u get us some links to those other forums so we can take a look??

Droelle 01-18-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123
Ugh...I have nothing to add to this thread but I want some KM2s.

Lmao! They are awsome. Before this on my Chevy 1500 I ran 39.5x15x15 super swampers tsl's and let me tell you these thing do just a much damage to the mudd as the tsl's.

Sent from my thread killing droid!

Droelle 01-18-2011 04:15 PM

I work with all kinds of metal all day long. Stainless, aluminum, brass, hardox, N20's, NN30's, A36, EH36, high nickels its endless. That tire carrier is what 1/8 thick cast or machined aluminum held on by 8 bolts. Unless you just beat the crap out it it will probably last you a good while. But my personal opinion I don't plan keeping for a long time. Because im pretty rough on it lol! I just can't afford a rear bumper and a swing gated tire carrier. But if it dise brake then damn I gotta tell the wifie that I need a new one and I mine as well upgrade because its just gonna happen again. Wink wink!

Sent from my thread killing droid!

Dean Gaucher 01-18-2011 04:18 PM

I have the re-enforcement kit and extention from Quadratec,cost me a total of 80 bucks....have 35's on mine...no problems as of yet.i check it every 2-3 days to make sure everything is still snug,etc. i personally dont understand why a rear bumper and tire carrier have to be so expensive.

Turbaru 01-18-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Gaucher (Post 998137)
I have the re-enforcement kit and extention from Quadratec,cost me a total of 80 bucks....have 35's on mine...no problems as of yet.i check it every 2-3 days to make sure everything is still snug,etc. i personally dont understand why a rear bumper and tire carrier have to be so expensive.


I have looked a couple times for this re-enforcement kit, but can't find it. Do you have a part number or link?

CorpJeep 01-18-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Gaucher (Post 998137)
I have the re-enforcement kit and extention from Quadratec,cost me a total of 80 bucks....have 35's on mine...no problems as of yet.i check it every 2-3 days to make sure everything is still snug,etc. i personally dont understand why a rear bumper and tire carrier have to be so expensive.

Dean, was it difficult to install the re-enforcement kit? I actually did purchase the reinforcement kit and extension from Quadratec too, but the instructions indicated that I had to break off 8 welded nuts from the tailgate, which made me a little nervous. Do you recommend this setup? Do you think it in fact is provided much better support for the tire?

JIMBOX 01-18-2011 04:53 PM

:D Checkitout-

You'll see spare tire support-

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/i-m...ere-75616.html

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Turbaru 01-18-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 998248)
:D Checkitout-

You'll see spare tire support-

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/i-m...ere-75616.html

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO


I do like your set-up, but my stock rear bumper has an angle cut-out for the tire to clear, not a flat cut-out... My bumper also does not extend to under the tire. I would go this route if it did. I did install the longer bump stops to dampen the vibration/wiggle.

JIMBOX 01-18-2011 05:17 PM

:D GOOD move on the bumpstops, sorry the other little gem won't work !!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbaru (Post 998287)
I do like your set-up, but my stock rear bumper has an angle cut-out for the tire to clear, not a flat cut-out... My bumper also does not extend to under the tire. I would go this route if it did. I did install the longer bump stops to dampen the vibration/wiggle.

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Turbaru 01-18-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 998302)
:D GOOD move on the bumpstops, sorry the other little gem won't work !!




:rofl::rofl: JIMBO


Maybe I will just put the spare up in the passenger front seat and hang the lil lady out on the tire carrier! (glad she doesn't read these forums...)

Wolf1 01-18-2011 05:22 PM

I recently got tapped in the rear in an accident and the stock carrier cracked like it was made out of wicker or something. I have 265/70R16 General AT2 Grabbers on Pro comp rims. They're not huge, but bigger than the stock tires. The accident could have been comparable to backing into a tree or rock on a trail, so (when I got the insurance check) I ordered a HighRock Carrier by Bestop through Quadratec last night. Cost the same as the stock carrier but much heavier duty - up to 37" tires & 200lbs. Might as well upgrade with someone else's money...

CorpJeep 01-18-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbaru (Post 998144)
I have looked a couple times for this re-enforcement kit, but can't find it. Do you have a part number or link?

Here are the links:

Off Camber Fabrications 130718 - Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Relocate Bracket for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Off Camber Fabrications 130903 - Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Turbaru 01-18-2011 05:52 PM


Thank you very much!

From the feedback, it seems the weak link is the gate hinges, and this does not re-enforce that area at all.

seadog 01-18-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf1 (Post 998320)
Might as well upgrade with someone else's money...

That's how I paid for my rear bumper. :)

Droelle 01-18-2011 11:15 PM

Another thing you have to consider is warrenty. If it brakes they replace it fo free my friend lol!

Sent from my thread killing droid!

CorpJeep 01-18-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droelle
Another thing you have to consider is warrenty. If it brakes they replace it fo free my friend lol!

Sent from my thread killing droid!

I doubt they would replace it if you had a 35" tire on the stock carrier... But worth the try anyway!

joe002 01-18-2011 11:41 PM

I have just over 12K miles with my 35” spare on the tailgate (my tire/wheel is only 20 lbs heaver than stock). Mopar sells a bicycle rack that connects to the spare and has a shipping weight of 37 pounds, plus the weight of the bike… I did add a new bump stop to the bottom and extended the bump stops so they all pushed against the tire.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/IMG_5162.jpg

I have seen threads where other have broken their tailgate. The welds break. Here's one that shows what it looks like when the welds go (the spot welds around the top and on the side, ignore the damage to the grate on the bottom):
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/DSCF0023.jpg

Capjac04 01-19-2011 12:28 AM

i use a bike rack for my spare tire, it has the option for 3 available bikes, i hav eonly put one on the rack, and the holder is fine but the rim of the spare tire has 3 dents in it bc if you hit some descent bumps on the road, it spring up the slightest bit and falls back and has a couple of dents in it, no big deal though, other than that no problemos

daggo66 01-19-2011 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clear lake jeepn (Post 998082)
Daggo....can u get us some links to those other forums so we can take a look??

35 tires ..Stock Spare tire carrier

35s on stock spare tire?

GY Duratrac 315/70R17 (34.4") on stock tire carrier?

Spare tire carrier help...

fit 37 inch on stock rear tire carrier?

Peepers 01-19-2011 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbaru (Post 998422)
From the feedback, it seems the weak link is the gate hinges, and this does not re-enforce that area at all.

x2

I'm not sure how the JK hinges are held on, but there are 4 bolts with threaded backing plates that hold the tailgate to my TJ... and another 4 holding the tailgate to the hinge. That sounds like the weakest ling to me...

daggo66 01-19-2011 06:46 AM

According to everything I have read, the weld points go first.

Droelle 01-19-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorpJeep

I doubt they would replace it if you had a 35" tire on the stock carrier... But worth the try anyway!

The only reason I would assume so was because when I called the warrenty company and ask about the Max lift and Max tires. They said "Max lift you can go is 4" and the Max size tire is what ever you can fit on a 4" lift." So I took as they would replace the tire carrier. I don't no that its a fact so you could be right. But also like I said before to if it brakes....dang......gotta spend more money on my Jeep! Lol!

Sent from my thread killing droid!

daggo66 01-19-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droelle (Post 999838)
The only reason I would assume so was because when I called the warrenty company and ask about the Max lift and Max tires. They said "Max lift you can go is 4" and the Max size tire is what ever you can fit on a 4" lift." So I took as they would replace the tire carrier. I don't no that its a fact so you could be right. But also like I said before to if it brakes....dang......gotta spend more money on my Jeep! Lol!

Sent from my thread killing droid!

I have to think they would defer to the warning in the owner's manual regarding the weight limit on the swing gate.

OsageJeep 02-26-2011 10:56 AM

When I bought my Jeep it had a 35 on the stock tire carrier and the tailgate is so hard to open that I sometimes would put my key in just to make sure it was unlocked. I took off my spare and it helped a little bit but the door is still messed up. Occasionally I have to go over the backseat to get what I was after. It's hard to show any of this in pics but I wouldnt put the 35 on my stock tire carrier again


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.