Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Nighmare Gulch Last Weekend in Jan (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/nighmare-gulch-last-weekend-in-jan-76494.html)

BeantownR6 01-18-2011 10:08 PM

Nighmare Gulch Last Weekend in Jan

So since going to Last Chance Canyon last weekend and planning on doing Nighmare Gulch, the sign posted said it was closed from the 1st to 15th each month. It will be closed from Feb-July so we decided to come back the last weekend in January.

Either Saturday or Sunday works for me. whos in?

JRickW 01-18-2011 10:39 PM

Good to go! Saturday or Sunday works for me.

Cons_Table 01-18-2011 11:21 PM

Id be in again, but I will be in Vegas for my birthday. Hope you guys have a good run.

yomondo 01-19-2011 01:49 AM

I'm still waiting to find out what my son wants to do for his birthday. FYI, a group from JK-Forum is planning on running Nightmare Gulch on that Saturday. Not that it matters any, just an FYI.

BeantownR6 01-19-2011 11:29 AM

I saw that just after i posted this. anyone interested in camping, doing last chance one day and NG the next with them?

JRickW 01-19-2011 03:54 PM

I saw the JK-Forum trip too. I may not be able to camp but that doesn't mean I can't wheel! Either way is good for me.

yomondo 01-23-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 999629)
I'm still waiting to find out what my son wants to do for his birthday. FYI, a group from JK-Forum is planning on running Nightmare Gulch on that Saturday. Not that it matters any, just an FYI.

I'm available on Saturday 1/29. Since the JKF group is doing Opal Canyon and Nightmare Gulch on that day, I'm just gonna join in on their run. Beantown and Rick, you guys want to join their run too? Anyone else here on WF who wants to come along on the JKF run, I'm sure nobody would mind. I know most of the people going.

JRickW 01-23-2011 02:42 AM

Yeah, I'll hook up with them too. I think I saw they are running NG on Sat. I may just meet up on Sat AM and not camp. Although if I can swing it, camping would be fun too.

sixbillions 01-23-2011 06:33 PM

Is this a trail that a stock 2011 Sahara could do? Sorry if I'm asking the obvious just a newb here.

Cheers

JRickW 01-23-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixbillions
Is this a trail that a stock 2011 Sahara could do? Sorry if I'm asking the obvious just a newb here.

Cheers

Last Chance Canyon can be run with a stock jeep. The first time I ran it I had a stock Sport 2dr with 32" tires. I have not done NG yet.

Rebuilt 01-23-2011 08:17 PM

I might be in for this I'll get back to you guys though

yomondo 01-23-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRickW (Post 1008020)
I think I saw they are running NG on Sat.

Yah, they posted up that they're doing Nightmare Gulch on Saturday, but the meeting spot is the trailhead for Opal Canyon, so they'll be doing Opal Canyon then Nightmare Gulch on Saturday, which is a nice run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixbillions (Post 1009036)

Not an obvious question, but a good one to ask. It's always good know what you're getting yourself into. Nightmare Gulch is just a little more challenging than Last Chance Canyon that Rick spoke of. Any stock JK can get through Nightmare Gulch. It's possible you might need a tug at some point and that's not a big deal, but do know that are some tight passes, and there's a small chance your Sahara running boards may take a few minor scrapes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebuilt (Post 1009298)
I might be in for this I'll get back to you guys though

Hope you can make it.

BeantownR6 01-23-2011 10:49 PM

saturday sounds good

sixbillions 01-24-2011 12:47 AM

Save any unforeseen change in plans, I'm game for next Saturday - what are the logistics/plans? I tried to find the thread in the JKF site but no luck if the plan is to tag along, if that's the case can somebody paste the link to the thread?

Thanks

Rebuilt 01-24-2011 03:32 AM

So where are we meeting? What time? And is the camping going to be saturday night?

JRickW 01-24-2011 09:07 AM

Check out the thread "Nightmare Gulch / Last Chance Canyon" in the CENCAL section of the JKF.

yomondo 01-24-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixbillions (Post 1010000)
I tried to find the thread in the JKF site but no luck if the plan is to tag along

If you're a member over at JKF, then you wouldn't necessarily be "tagging along", but joining in on the run. Just post up on their thread. Like Rick said, it's in the "CenCal" section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebuilt (Post 1010168)
So where are we meeting? What time? And is the camping going to be saturday night?

Camping is Friday and Saturday nights at Jaw Bone Station.

Saturday meeting spot is at the Opal Canyon trailhead at 35.413843,-117.980075 at 10:00am.

I've seen other non-JK'ers join JKF and come out on trail runs. If you want to, you could join JKF even though you don't have a JK, and post up on the thread for their run. Or "tag along", but I'm only going for the day on Saturday, not camping.

yomondo 01-31-2011 06:02 PM

Only BeantownR6 and I from here showed up, but there were a bunch from JKF.

Here are my pictures

And my GPS track