Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

03-04 vs. 05-06 Rubicon

17K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  twyant93 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Was wondering if ya'll could help me figure out the differences in the year models? I may have an opportunity to acquire a new to me jeep rubicon soon and looking around the market, there are a few available. Prices ranging from $12.5k for 03 to upwards of $17-18k for 06.

Is one more reliable than the other? I know the OPDA issue seems to only be apparent in 05-06.

The main thing I'm noticing is that the 03-04 had the 5 speed and 05-06 went to a mercedes based 6 speed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

#3 ·
Yeah I'd love an LJ but probably going to be out of my pay grade. Haven't seen many around here for sale...but def keeping my eyes open.

I guess seeing the 03 for $12.5k kinda made me wonder if the slightly newer models were worth that much more cash other than just being a newer vehicle

#5 ·
also I believe the Rubicon differential was a Tru Lock in 2003 and 2004 and was a Trac Lock in the last two years.

the 5-speed manual is just a better system than the later 6-speed system if you ask me.

all this aside, the difference in TJ Rubicons are so minor as to really not come into play once you find a good example.

#6 ·
05-06 TJs are not necessarily bad compared to the 03-04. I believe the 05-06 TJs had some power increases which is always nice, but yes the oil pumps on them do have a bad rep.

As far as the transmissions go, the 6 speed isn't a bad transmission just not quite the work horse like the 5 speed. Pretty good tranny otherwise, but avoid 05s with the 6 speed.

But honestly the 03-04 TJs are probably your best choice. Probably the best two years of the TJ as far as mechanics go

#9 ·
I must have the only decent 2005 out there....

No issues with the OPDA (yet) and when I do I will replace it with the redesigned Crown brand and then that will be a non-issue.

The 6 speed transmission isn't the smoothest shifting but no major issues yet. The only thing I would consider instead of the 6 speed would be an auto, but that is a whole different story/thread.

I do only have 143k miles though.... so everything is just getting broken in on mine.

_

#10 ·
I must have the only decent 2005 out there.... No issues with the OPDA (yet) and when I do I will replace it with the redesigned Crown brand and then that will be a non-issue. The 6 speed transmission isn't the smoothest shifting but no major issues yet. The only thing I would consider instead of the 6 speed would be an auto, but that is a whole different story/thread. I do only have 143k miles though.... so everything is just getting broken in on mine. _
Your lucky.

#12 ·
Find the options/price/mileage combo you want and be happy with your choice. People could nit pick any year and equipment combo to death. Your buying one of the most factory capable off road vehicles ever made, enjoy!

Ps, it's a Chrysler. Your going to work on it no matter what. Embrace and enjoy.

#13 ·
Honestly I have an 05 Rubicon with the 6 speed manual and the only problem I have with it is the reverse. Must have a pretty good wrangler besides that, because there are no other problems.

Don't eliminate the newer models, but if you are considering one just ask the basics. Most of the problems like the TSB on the reverse and oil pump are a one time fix and don't require constant repairs. So if the part is already been replaced, most likely you won't have to replace for a long time.

#14 ·
Thanks again fellas. I've been emailing the seller about it, but haven't had a chance to look at it in person yet as he's about 2 hours away.

Do ya'll think this is a good deal?
2003 Rubicon
133k hwy miles
5 speed
soft top
cruise control
2" coil over lift w/33x12.5 BFGs
No rust (according to him)

Asking $12,500. The mileage is a little more than I wanted, but not bad for an 03. and you all say they'll run forever. I was thinking about offering $11,500 or $12k and seeing if he bites...but even at $12,500 it doesnt seem ridiculously over priced to me. What do ya'll think?

#23 ·
Appreciate it ya'll. I'm gonna talk to the credit union and possibly go check it out saturday. I've known from the time I started looking at jeeps that I wanted a TJ. My buddy got an 07 Rubi, and it's nice. But I personally just have always liked the looks of the TJ.

#27 ·
Well I started calling banks and credit unions last week to see what kinda rates I could get. Turns out nobody wants to do a vehicle loan on an 03 model. They'll do personal loans but that jacks the rate up towards 9-12% which just seems ridiculous.

#28 ·
Several places will give you a loan... Pentegon Federal Credit Union does not care what year the car is. I got a loan on my 04 last year at .74%APR for example. They sent me a blank check, and I picked out the vehicle I wanted.

Back to the topic, my 04 had 14,000 miles on it. 23k now.

#31 ·
Bought my '06 in 2012 with 72,000 miles for $10,500 (Model X, not Rubicon). 4" lift, very clean condition, new Dunlop mud tires, Promark winch. Just have to change out the rear end and regear to 4.88 and I'm pretty much done.

Replaced the OPDA with a Dorman model at 82,000 miles as preventive maintenance. OEM had slight wear but wasn't bad.

Had to replace the PCM due to issues with the transmission control module which was integrated into the PCM in either '04, '05, or '06. Several threads on here about this issue but doesn't seem real common. Only affects auto transmissions.

I've heard the 42RLE auto transmission can last a long time or it can die a quick death (50,000 miles or less). I just hit 95,000 miles without any problems.

Very very very happy with my Jeep and I'm sure you will be whether you buy the 03/04 or 05/06.

#36 ·
other than the change in color to the fender flares, what exterior differences are there between the 03-04's and the 05-06's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.