Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Got my jeep stuck today...had to call a recker. whats your best piece of equipment? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/got-my-jeep-stuck-today-had-to-call-a-recker-whats-your-best-piece-of-equipment-76650.html)

dmiller369 01-19-2011 10:48 PM

Got my jeep stuck today...had to call a recker. whats your best piece of equipment?

kinda happy kinda pist...today is my first time getting my jeep stuck after four hours of trying to dig out frozen ground (that was like concrete) and watching my buddies dodge just sit there and spin I called a recker.
any ways...

whats your most valuable piece of equipment? winch? locker? jack? shovel? cell phone?

i was really set on getting a locker but after getting stuck today im not sure if it would have helped. almost thinking if should get a winch instead. but i rather have something that stops me from getting stuck rather then something that helps me get unstuck.

o yeah im bottomed out in the picture and my driver side tires are not touching the ground.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&id=1162110163

chasingdreams 01-19-2011 10:57 PM

Sometimes lockers will only bury you deeper.

First piece of equipment - ALLWAYS be improving your skillset for offroad driving.

You will get alot of different answers from the question you asked...... My opinion for "MY" needs was a winch. I live in Alaska, and its not uncommon to be wheeling over 100 miles from civilization.

XJ Knight 01-19-2011 10:58 PM

Pic no show

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...5f104641a2.gif

Lance03 01-19-2011 11:05 PM

winch

Artlugo 01-19-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasingdreams
I live in Alaska, and its not uncommon to be wheeling over 100 miles from civilization.

How wheeling in Alaska like? Must be some cool trails there.

chasingdreams 01-19-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artlugo (Post 1001895)
How wheeling in Alaska like? Must be some cool trails there.

I live in the interior of Alaska,.... ENDLESS MILES of trails,.... and the views are,.... well,... one of the main reasons I wheel,.... No words can describe the "untouched" landscape up here.

And once I'm that far out,.... hmmmm might as well fish:D,.... and mine for gold:D

Jerry Bransford 01-20-2011 12:01 AM

Whether or not I chose a winch or a locker depends on the group I wheel with. If there is a winch or two in the group I typically wheel with, I'd install the locker first. You can borrow the services of someone else's winch but you can never borrow the services of someone else's locker. I use my lockers nearly continually every time I go offroading but not so much my winch... though it sure got a workout this past weekend. :)

Mr_RPM 01-20-2011 12:06 AM

with a locker you may still need a winch, but with a winch you do not need a locker.

get the winch first locker 2nd ;)

gotpepsi 01-20-2011 12:18 AM

your best piece of equipment is having another 4x4 with you when you go wheelin.

Jerry Bransford 01-20-2011 12:34 AM

If you do tougher trails, you'd quickly learn that you'd spend way too much time winching yourself if you don't have at least one locker. I use my f/r lockers nearly continually on every trail I go on but rarely do I need my winch and then usually its for others.

And then if you did tougher trails, you'd find that you'll be asked if you have a locker before joining the group or it will be listed as a requirement. No one wants to do a tough trail with anyone without a locker since they will need to be winched nearly continually. The trails I go on are impossible without lockers and winching an unlocked Jeep through the obstacles would only prolong the misery of both you and everyone else in your group.

I just got done doing the below three trails this past Saturday and while they were very difficult, they weren't extremely difficult. Yet the requirements given for each of the three runs were very specific on requiring not one but two lockers. Yet you will notice no requirements for a winch on any of them... just the lockers.

From 13th Annual Superstition Mountain Run | San Diego 4 Wheelers and the trails Knock on Wood, Broken Arrow, and Wishbone:

Knock on Wood:
EQUIPMENT: Front AND Rear lockers required.
Hard lockers only (Detroit, Spool,
Lock Rite, etc.) No limited slips
allowed. Body damage and or
equipment damage is probable.

Broken Arrow:
EQUIPMENT: 33" or larger tires. Front AND Rear lockers required. Hard
lockers only (Detroit, Spool,
Lock Rite, etc.) No limited slips
allowed
. Body damage and or
equipment damage is probable.

Wishbone:
EQUIPMENT: 2 Hard lockers required, 33” tires min.
preferably 35” or bigger. No Small (260x)
outer joints on front axles with 35” or bigger
tires. Must have same size spare in good
shape, tools and spare parts. Body damage likely. Not suited for hardtops or full sized rigs.

What's the common theme? Lockers, but not winches required. The trail bosses checked that everyone had the mandatory lockers but didn't care if there was no winch present. So long as a winch is close by you're good... but if it's a tough trail, you better have your own locker. :)

dmiller369 01-20-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotpepsi (Post 1001951)
your best piece of equipment is having another 4x4 with you when you go wheelin.

im working on the pictue it was takin from a cell phone...but as you said, i had a dodge ram 1500 with 32 inch muds 4x4 on call. ( it was pointless) but im sure if the ground was not frozen it would have possibly been a diff story.

the recker got stuck twice trying to get out to where i was. it took me about 10 min and i got stuck. it took him over an hour.:punk:

dmiller369 01-20-2011 02:27 AM

another reason i fav the locker is b/c in indiana there are ALOT of feilds,(farmed or not) and there wont be any trees with in reach anyways. but like today, although my buddies ram could not pull me out. if he had it in park and i had him to winch to it would have been a diff story.

Such a dilemma i am in.

XJ Knight 01-20-2011 02:59 AM

u live in a snowy climate to so f/r Limited Slips might be in order for u if you.. Especially if you got the D35.. It can handle the LS better than a full locker

matthewryan11 01-20-2011 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight (Post 1001834)

I know this is completely off topic, but that has to be my favorite smiley .GIF of all time.

Bruck 01-20-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewryan11 (Post 1002008)
I know this is completely off topic, but that has to be my favorite smiley .GIF of all time.

Totally agree...That was way cool!

XJ Knight 01-20-2011 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewryan11 (Post 1002008)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruck (Post 1002015)
Totally agree...That was way cool!

Thanks.. I love that one. It's one of my favorite as well. One of those emoticons I don't use alot for better effect when I do.. It's funny and it gets the point across.. A very purposefull emoticon

cork1958 01-20-2011 07:30 AM

I thought I knew what lockers were but did a quick search to make sure. I was correct.

I don't have a winch or lockers, but when and if I ever get one of them, I think it will be a winch first.

TexasT 01-20-2011 08:40 AM

The thing you need first...above everything is experience. Join a jeep club, buy some tools, learn what your jeep is capable of the way it is now Lockers make trails easier if you know what track to take on an obstacle but if you don't know how to approach it they are useless. If you don't know what lockers are, you don't need them. A winch is very powerful and if you pull from the wrong direction or attach to a weak spot, it can do tremendous damage. The cable can litterally kill you or take fingers in with the line Whenever I see newbies wanting to know what to buy first...my advice is the same...a membership in a jeep club and some trail experience so they know...by their own experience...what they need. How do I know this...I went on a Jeep Jamboree in 2001, then joined a jeep club and saw what they could do and the equipment they had. The experienced ones could move through the trails with ease but always came back to teach others where to place their tires track and why. Doesn't take long to learn from behind the wheel. Have fun...go to school.

Bubba68CS 01-20-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmiller369 (Post 1001999)
another reason i fav the locker is b/c in indiana there are ALOT of feilds,(farmed or not) and there wont be any trees with in reach anyways. but like today, although my buddies ram could not pull me out. if he had it in park and i had him to winch to it would have been a diff story.

Such a dilemma i am in.

You can still make anchor points in the middle of a field. Some companies sell products designed to dig down into the ground...but the cheapest choice seems to be digging a hole for your spare tire. But here is a thread I found in all of 10 seconds in a google search ("winch spare tire anchor") about various options:

Winch anchor advice... - JkOwners.com - The Community for Jeep JK 4x4 Owners

I'm sure if you do a bit more searching around the net, you'd find quite a few options.

Personally I chose my first modification to be a winch because, as mentioned before: with a locker you may still need a winch, but with a winch you do not need a locker. I wanted something that would get me out of trouble. Not to mention, getting a winch was cheaper than a locker (too much snow and ice around here to be getting one of those automatic thingies...so selectable would be my only option).

But what Jerry said makes a lot of sense: if other people you wheel with have winches, you don't really need one. I don't, so there ya go ;)

InfernoGirl 01-20-2011 09:08 AM

What part of IN are you in? I'm in southern IN, on the river.... IMO the best thing to do, is use your noodle, and wheel with better equipped friends :) Hubby had to pull a buddy out of a field new years day. He was high centered in a rut and after trying for an hour to get out he called for reinforcements... :) Lockers are good, but you can get stuck with them just the same.... No amount of equipment will make up for not being smart... :)

neverfastenough1 01-20-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1001933)
though it sure got a workout this past weekend. :)

Quit wheeling with Hummers, lol.

alstjruby03 01-20-2011 10:00 AM

stuck up to my axles in a muddy rut. lockers only allowed all the tires to spin in the mud.only way out was with a winch.no driving skill would have worked.i am still cleaning mud from my skid plate.thumbs up on a winch.

shrubeck 01-20-2011 12:35 PM

Safety = winch. Off road performance = lockers. Pick your priority.

dmiller369 01-20-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasT (Post 1002249)
The thing you need first...above everything is experience. Join a jeep club, buy some tools, learn what your jeep is capable of the way it is now Lockers make trails easier if you know what track to take on an obstacle but if you don't know how to approach it they are useless. If you don't know what lockers are, you don't need them. A winch is very powerful and if you pull from the wrong direction or attach to a weak spot, it can do tremendous damage. The cable can litterally kill you or take fingers in with the line Whenever I see newbies wanting to know what to buy first...my advice is the same...a membership in a jeep club and some trail experience so they know...by their own experience...what they need. How do I know this...I went on a Jeep Jamboree in 2001, then joined a jeep club and saw what they could do and the equipment they had. The experienced ones could move through the trails with ease but always came back to teach others where to place their tires track and why. Doesn't take long to learn from behind the wheel. Have fun...go to school.

-i have been off roading for years. just never in i jeep. and sometimes it doesnt matter how much exp. you have it just dont cut it. not i have never had a winch on my old trucks but they did have locking hubs.

dmiller369 01-20-2011 12:57 PM

i guess another concernt i have with the winch is some times you need pulled out backwards ( there is just no going forwards). but with the winch on the fround how do you get out? does it make it pointless then?

Peepers 01-20-2011 01:00 PM

I belive locking hubs is not the same as a locker. you have to get out and engage them rather than vacuum or electronic ones that engage when you put it in 4wd

Jerry Bransford 01-20-2011 03:15 PM

Manual hubs only allow you to unlock the hubs. The TJ's hubs are always locked, they never unlock. They are engaged 100% of the time. And hubs have nothing to do with whether an axle has a locker or not.

Jerry Bransford 01-20-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverfastenough1 (Post 1002361)
Quit wheeling with Hummers, lol.

I think you should come out west to go wheeling with me sometime. ;)

Michael Marlin 01-20-2011 03:45 PM

Although

Although TexasT may be correct in saying "If you don't know what lockers are, you don't need them" nevertheless, I would like to know what they are and why they are important. I would also like to know the reason for the no limited slip requirement on the outings Jerry Branford listed.

Cons_Table 01-20-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1003026)
I think you should come out west to go wheeling with me sometime. ;)

You dont even run hard trails, jerry :rofl: