Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Is this Wrangler worth it??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/is-this-wrangler-worth-it-76692.html)

Firescooby 01-20-2011 01:52 PM

Is this Wrangler worth it???
 
3 Attachment(s)
Looking at buying a used Wrangler and would like some opinions.

Details:
1992 Wrangler S
4 cyl, 5 speed
203,000 miles
Unknown maintenance history (used car trade in)
White with black top
Haven't looked at it yet, but may tomorrow
Have been told that the only issues are that the horn button on steering wheel is missing, no radio, and the top is is not torn...but is worn.

I can get it for $2750 out the door.

This won't be a primary vehicle, only for riding through the mtns and taking the kids on some top down summer trips.

Opinions appreciated.

My plans for it over time would be:
Black steel wheels
M/T tires
Good bumper with winch
Good solid rear bumper
Sliders

Ibuildembig 01-20-2011 02:11 PM

It all depends on where your located actually....doesnt' sound bad to me cept the 4 cylinder

Lawngnome 01-20-2011 02:18 PM

That seems a little much to me, I would not buy it.

4Jeepn 01-20-2011 02:18 PM

Price will vary. One thing I would be concerned about is the ax-5. 5th gear tends go so south with higher miles. so check how it shifts check fluids etc. I also would not buy a 4cly unless it was a smoking deal. If you can hold out for a 6cly.

Firescooby 01-20-2011 02:19 PM

I've been looking for weeks!!! I found a few in this price range but are gone in 1-2 days MAX. I'm searching a 250 range on Craigslist.

This isn't on CL, just recently added to autotrader. I don't think many people look at autotrader anymore...but they hover on CL.

Going to look and drive tomorrow if it's still there. Will really depend on how that goes.

Basically...I was asking assuming everything works and is legit.

Ibuildembig 01-20-2011 02:25 PM

If the tub isn't rusty I could get 1200-1500 out of it alone, its worth it

Firescooby 01-20-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawngnome (Post 1002886)
That seems a little much to me, I would not buy it.

Must be a regional thing. I have checked CL MULTIPLE times/ days and every one I find in that range is GONE.

This one also has ZERO rust, has been in GA it's whole life. I've found some that linger...but they have fist size holes on the body, shock towers rusted, etc.

Familiar with the 5th gear issue, and will make sure it's not effected.

GoldenSahara00 01-20-2011 02:39 PM

Its not too bad, and especially if you take care of it, its worth it. just get rid of those wheels sometime :P also looks like youll wana put a spacer in the front to level, the front end looks low, and those must be 31s its already on.

Ibuildembig 01-20-2011 02:39 PM

Its not that man, its the same ole no matter where you go. People think you should be able to buy everything for nothing. I have people try to low ball me on parts all the time, I just tell um nope and go on :)

Lawngnome 01-20-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firescooby (Post 1002930)
Must be a regional thing. I have checked CL MULTIPLE times/ days and every one I find in that range is GONE.

This one also has ZERO rust, has been in GA it's whole life. I've found some that linger...but they have fist size holes on the body, shock towers rusted, etc.

Familiar with the 5th gear issue, and will make sure it's not effected.

True, I was in the Michigan mindset. Anything with that many miles on it up here will have rust for sure.

Firescooby 01-20-2011 04:57 PM

Thanks. I'll know more tomorrow.

Around here, they go QUICK!!!

Like I said, if I get it...gonna ditch those wheels/ tires (maybe sell for a few bucks) and put some black rock crawlers on it with M/T tires.

Firescooby 01-21-2011 12:46 PM

Well, search is still on.

Drove 2 hours and was only there for 10 minutes. The engine ran pretty rough, but it's been sitting for a few days and has 200k miles.

The front end though...it was ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! Couldn't go over 40-45mph. Didnt even bother looking underneath. Just took the keys back and left.

Svjackson 01-21-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firescooby
Well, search is still on.

Drove 2 hours and was only there for 10 minutes. The engine ran pretty rough, but it's been sitting for a few days and has 200k miles.

The front end though...it was ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! Couldn't go over 40-45mph. Didnt even bother looking underneath. Just took the keys back and left.

You did the right thing. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.