Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Problems starting my 1991 Wrangler - HELP?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/problems-starting-my-1991-wrangler-help-76913.html)

gishawnee 01-22-2011 08:56 AM

Problems starting my 1991 Wrangler - HELP??

Hello all, I am new to this community and looking for some advice. It might be hard to get over a forum without seeing/hearing the vehicle, but I figured I'd try. My Jeep won't start.
I have a '91 Wrangler, 6 cylinder 4.0 liter, that my family has owned from the factory. For the last couple months it has been a bit sluggish turning over when I start it up. A couple days ago it wouldn't start, there was no turn over at all. I thought it was the battery, so I added alittle water to the cells and it fired up. However, after letting it run awhile and then driving it about 5 miles to a shopping center, it wouldn't start again. As luck would have it, that shopping center had a battery load checker thingy (I like to use very technical terms, lol) and new batteries. The one in the jeep was totally dead, so thinking that was the problem, I bought a new one and installed it. The jeep still wouldn't start. The new battery shows 100% charge, the buzzer in the jeep/all gauges/lights/etc work, and there is a very soft clicking sound when I turn the ignition, but no turnover at all. Also, a few times when I was trying to start it, the ingnition itself got very sluggish and the key didn't even want to turn. Am I dealing with a bad ignition, bad starter, bad alternator, something totally different, or something that is impossible to tell from the very lengthy (but still no visual/audio) description I just gave? Thanks for any ideas/help/advice!!
Shawnee

Renegade 01-23-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gishawnee (Post 1006425)
Am I dealing with a bad ignition, bad starter, bad alternator, something totally different, or something that is impossible to tell from the very lengthy (but still no visual/audio) description I just gave? Thanks for any ideas/help/advice!!
Shawnee

My guess is your starter. I also have '91 and just replaced the starter. Same thing as you, a little sluggish turning over about a month later wouldn't crank. I called AAA they checked the battery, heard the "clicking" noise and said starter battery was fine.

Good news they are very cheap $70-100, and very very easy to install, even for the non-handy man, like me google it there are step by step instructions. It's not your alternator, those don't work until after the car is on and started. Might be your ignition, I wouldn't rule that out yet, but as of right now, I'm gonna go with your starter.

wylie coyote 01-23-2011 10:29 AM

+1 on the starter.

Garyk 01-23-2011 11:08 AM

Before I invested in a new starter I would start with new cables, old ones could be and probably are corroded internally, also make sure all connections at starter and battery are clean and tight. If that fails, have the starter tested at local auto store.