Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Flame Suit on...20's ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/flame-suit-on-20s-76922.html)

deepbluerubi 01-22-2011 10:17 AM

Flame Suit on...20's ?

Looking at quadratech site and the deep blue rubi with 20's and 35" 12.5 tires looks pretty appealing. "yes a did get past her oversized dual supplemental air bags and other highly desirable options" Has anyone done this mod? It will need a lift I assume, but what about gearing? "i have 410's with an auto" it's a 2010 rubi 2 dr. The wheels mon the site are 9 inch and not sure about the backspacing. How good are these wheels quality wise/weight or am I better off finding four OEM 20X9 wheels off a srt8 jeep. Don't think I need or can use the 20X10. And yes it's mainly a mall crawler or as my employees call it a "SPAGHETTI CRAWLER" thank you Fiat! How about the brakes and the rest of the suspension are they up to this? I searched first so I get a bit of a pass there right? Thanks in advance.:)

Redjeepmormon 01-22-2011 10:20 AM

It's a jeep. It doesn't need 20" wheels. JMO. Sorry I can't help with your other questions. Good luck!

Jp90Talon 01-22-2011 10:28 AM

IMO not only are 20" rims ugly, but they are less functional off road and the tires are much much more expensive to replace. Also I am guessing that your options for tires also decreases.

Blstravler 01-22-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepbluerubi (Post 1006545)
And yes it's mainly a mall crawler or as my employees call it a "SPAGHETTI CRAWLER" thank you Fiat!

As much as we poke fun, without the mall crawlers, we would have no wrangler. Those that use the wrangler for true off road fun do not represent a large enough number or percentage of sales to keep the wrangler in the line up. So you should salute your mall crawler bretherand as with out them we would have zero. :doh:

Johnny HotFoot 01-22-2011 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Looking at quadratech site and the deep blue rubi with 20's and 35" 12.5 tires looks pretty appealing. It will need a lift I assume,:)

that is a sweet look... what sized lift (if any) is needed??? I'm thinking, just a 2"

Bubba68CS 01-22-2011 10:46 AM

No flaming...we're always glad to help out. To answer your question, you wanted to check out the HUMMER dealership...they're very experienced with these things :rofl:

Johnny HotFoot 01-22-2011 10:49 AM

the more threads I read on this forum the more negative or unhelpfull posts I see....real nice

Bubba68CS 01-22-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny HotFoot (Post 1006583)
the more threads I read on this forum the more negative or unhelpfull posts I see....real nice

Personally, I wouldn't go on a Corvette forum asking how to fit 35" tires on the thing and expect any helpful answers...even if it were a legit question.

swingtail82 01-22-2011 11:04 AM

a 255/60r20 should be pretty close to exactly what your Rubi came equipped with from the factory.....just find a tire size calculator and punch numbers till you find something close and you won't need a lift. you'll lose a lot of sidewall, so you'll be more likely to scuff your wheels in the event that you do actually decide to go offroad.

daggo66 01-22-2011 11:15 AM

It might be a good idea to get on the phone with Quadratec and ask them about the build.

deepbluerubi 01-22-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swingtail82 (Post 1006606)
a 255/60r20 should be pretty close to exactly what your Rubi came equipped with from the factory.....just find a tire size calculator and punch numbers till you find something close and you won't need a lift. you'll lose a lot of sidewall, so you'll be more likely to scuff your wheels in the event that you do actually decide to go offroad.

Good advise I did the calculator prior and the 60 series wouldn't match up to a tire, but a 255 55 20 was real close. I would keep the original set of rubi rims and tires, but from what i can tell i need a better compromise street/off road tire than the stock rubi tires. I defintely don't want the "dub" look and I'm a competent driver so I know I can handle the altered ride characteristics. If I did more off road some steel wheels with more side wall would be my choice. Thanks again. Keep the opinions/advise coming.

4Jeepn 01-22-2011 11:18 AM

play nice kids.

As for the larger rims,the bigger you go the more strain it is on the drivetrain. Just like larger tires, add them both and expect more wear on brake and joints etc.

Johnny HotFoot 01-22-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba68CS (Post 1006593)
Personally, I wouldn't go on a Corvette forum asking how to fit 35" tires on the thing and expect any helpful answers...even if it were a legit question.

I know what you are saying but I'm still thinking this:

The 20 inch wheels in question are right from Quadratech, not some 24" chrome Dubb's, so not that much of a stretch to see the redeaming qualities of them... they have decent tires on them too, not low profile kidney busters

Forums are all different, some are full of helpfull members, others nothing but smarta**es...

I wasn't referring to you in particular, just saying the more I read here in other threads the more I see stupid posts.... there's the anti-JK sh**, the go big or go home crew, etc...

I see motorcycles and Jeeps as outlets for personal expression, it's their $, let 'em do what they like....

If a guy wants to jack his vette up with a lift and throw a 4x4 kit under it, I say go for it....:blunt:

daggo66 01-22-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepbluerubi (Post 1006628)
Good advise I did the calculator prior and the 60 series wouldn't match up to a tire, but a 255 55 20 was real close. I would keep the original set of rubi rims and tires, but from what i can tell i need a better compromise street/off road tire than the stock rubi tires. I defintely don't want the "dub" look and I'm a competent driver so I know I can handle the altered ride characteristics. If I did more off road some steel wheels with more side wall would be my choice. Thanks again. Keep the opinions/advise coming.

If a better street tire is what you're looking for swap with someone who has the Goodyear SRA's. They are an excellent street tire and are fair off road. A better compromise tire would be the Goodyear Silent Armor. They are available in the stock 255 75 17 size.

Blstravler 01-22-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

And yes it's mainly a mall crawler or as my employees call it a "SPAGHETTI CRAWLER" thank you Fiat!

As much as we poke fun, without the mall crawlers, we would have no wrangler. Those that use the wrangler for true off road fun do not represent a large enough number or percentage of sales to keep the wrangler in the line up. So you should salute your mall crawler bretherand as with out them we would have zero. :doh:

AgtSunshine 01-22-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba68CS (Post 1006576)
No flaming...we're always glad to help out. To answer your question, you wanted to check out the HUMMER dealership...they're very experienced with these things :rofl:

2 words: Lambo doors :rofl:

Jp90Talon 01-22-2011 11:42 AM

I would like to add, just because Quadratec sell it......doesnt mean it belongs on a Jeep

jkaufman_95 01-22-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon
I would like to add, just because Quadratec sell it......doesnt mean it belongs on a Jeep

I would agree.

deepbluerubi 01-22-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny HotFoot (Post 1006639)
I know what you are saying but I'm still thinking this:

The 20 inch wheels in question are right from Quadratech, not some 24" chrome Dubb's, so not that much of a stretch to see the redeaming qualities of them... they have decent tires on them too, not low profile kidney busters

Forums are all different, some are full of helpfull members, others nothing but smarta**es...

I wasn't referring to you in particular, just saying the more I read here in other threads the more I see stupid posts.... there's the anti-JK sh**, the go big or go home crew, etc...

I see motorcycles and Jeeps as outlets for personal expression, it's their $, let 'em do what they like....

If a guy wants to jack his vette up with a lift and throw a 4x4 kit under it, I say go for it....:blunt:

No sweat guys I'm a regular on five forums, one of them and for the longest is the corvette forum. The classics though, my newest is a 67. I love anything with an engine and this is my fifth jeep. It was bought after much thought. I bought what i feel/felt was the best jeep and vehicle for me. I use her every day and she needs to do service as my DD. Can't take her to the off road extreme "yet" plus the wife loves to drive it too. Hey, between the corvette wave and the jeep wave I feel like I have a lot of friends on and off the road.. I've been meaning to call Quadratec, will have to make a time block for that. I try to never piss anyone off though by nature. Thanks again I actually though initially for a moment the Hummer quote was usefull help....ha ha All good guys/gals.

Bubba68CS 01-22-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepbluerubi (Post 1006685)
No sweat guys I'm a regular on five forums, one of them and for the longest is the corvette forum. The classics though, my newest is a 67. I love anything with an engine and this is my fifth jeep. It was bought after much thought. I bought what i feel/felt was the best jeep and vehicle for me. I use her every day and she needs to do service as my DD. Can't take her to the off road extreme "yet" plus the wife loves to drive it too. Hey, between the corvette wave and the jeep wave I feel like I have a lot of friends on and off the road.. I've been meaning to call Quadratec, will have to make a time block for that. I try to never piss anyone off though by nature. Thanks again I actually though initially for a moment the Hummer quote was usefull help....ha ha All good guys/gals.

Well...it kinda was. :rofl: It was also a little shot at the Hummer crowd, but with as many of them as we see around with bigger wheels, they'll surely have answers as to how well different wheel manufacturers hold up, ride quality, driveability, etc.

deepbluerubi 01-22-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba68CS (Post 1006693)
Well...it kinda was. :rofl: It was also a little shot at the Hummer crowd, but with as many of them as we see around with bigger wheels, they'll surely have answers as to how well different wheel manufacturers hold up, ride quality, driveability, etc.

Thanks I'm concerned that wheels for $190 might be of questionable quality where the stock "oem" srt8 wheels are $750 or better on the market. I try to always buy the correct quality/type for the given application. I don't want to jeopardize anyone's safety or cause colleteral damage with cheap quality wheels/parts. I'll research the pertinent stats on them, I'm sure they are imported form C land, but who was the manufacturer and who oversaw the quality control etc etc. I value your references and input or I wouldn't have bothered to answer the questions. I agree there are some different type of rigs out there that don't fit my taste and you can really screw up a vehicle in appearance and ride with the wrong wheels. That Q Rubi just caught my eye, or maybe it was all in the presentation..............:) Take care.

deepbluerubi 01-22-2011 12:45 PM

[

If a guy wants to jack his vette up with a lift and throw a 4x4 kit under it, I say go for it....:blunt:[/QUOTE]

It's definetly OK, I know someone who brought two midyear vettes back from 4X4 conversions and sold them at a profit. One even had a plow on the front...............:doh:If you guys want to see some real crazy wheel packages look up "donk" on google images........Not for me "I almost wanted to put my eyes out at first", but hey someone is making a living selling that stuff................

Blstravler 01-22-2011 01:50 PM

Ok, the "Donk" was funny as hell, how do you even find wheels that big!

bwyman74 01-22-2011 01:53 PM

I think it looks goofy as hell, but each to his own!

Johnny HotFoot 01-22-2011 03:40 PM

I wanna see the vette with the plow. I need a good laugh.

Rogerg 01-22-2011 03:49 PM

Ive seen a Jeep the other day rolling on 20s and it just look silly.

Maybe because im into hard core type wheeling or something but i do appreciate a nice 20" rims blinged out like i do on my Yukon.

XJ Knight 01-22-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny HotFoot (Post 1006575)
that is a sweet look... what sized lift (if any) is needed??? I'm thinking, just a 2"

Do they come with the girl? If so I do up 20in rims all day long.. If not then anything bigger than a 17in rim on a jeep, I'll pass IMO

carnut08 01-22-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepbluerubi (Post 1006685)

Wow as I read that I thought it could have been written by me! Except my 'Vette is a C6. Even the part about not being able to do extreme off road stuff because the wife loves it and drives it as her DD. Even the wave bit fits. The only issue is things like yesterday when we were in the Jeep and the wife says, "How come you didn't wave at that C4? Was it because it was dirty and had bad paint?" I said, "No it's because we're in the Jeep!"

Oh yeah, I like the look of those wheels....especially on the blue Jeep. :cool:

JEEP-RI 01-22-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight

Do they come with the girl? If so I do up 20in rims all day long.. If not then anything bigger than a 17in rim on a jeep, I'll pass IMO

I run factory 18 's with Destination M/T s which make a perfect urban combination. Why all the hate on larger wheels? I out fit my jeep the way "I" want. Why hate on some ones mods?

XJ Knight 01-22-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEP-RI (Post 1007148)
I run factory 18 's with Destination M/T s which make a perfect urban combination. Why all the hate on larger wheels? I out fit my jeep the way "I" want. Why hate on some ones mods?

My Bad.. I thought the largest wheel from the factory was 17in.. 18in is fine then..

The way I look I understand it, Is with the bigger wheels you loose sidewall on the tire.. Personally the more sidewall the better I think