Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   How TALL is your Jeep? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/how-tall-is-your-jeep-76949.html)

andreafahy01 01-22-2011 01:52 PM

How TALL is your Jeep?

We're in the process of having a house built and originally required 15' height under our house (on pilings) to allow for parking, Jeep mods, storage of hard top, etc, etc. They talked us down to 12' and are have now driven the pilings into the ground leaving only 11' out!

Anyway... how tall is your Jeep at its TALLEST? As in if you are folding your top up/down, if it's flopping in a messy, disagreeable way - how much height are you looking at? Especially those of you with big lifts and poss. a 4 door JK.

I just have a YJ, no lift, hard top; but husband's JK has a soft top and looking at a decent lift in the future. Right now, with the height of his JK and the top folding up in the process, we have to have 10' clearance. I'm pretty pissed with the situation at hand at this moment bearing in mind we wanted 15' in the first place.

Jp90Talon 01-22-2011 02:21 PM

Not sure of the actual height but I can no longer pull into most average garages and I can not put my soft top down while parked under my car port. I think the carport it something like 10' and its not even close to being enough room to put it down on my LJ.

andreafahy01 01-22-2011 02:23 PM

Bummer man, it's totally worth the great Jeep but frustrating when it comes to parking. We had covered parking for the first time at the last condo we rented which was sweet when rainy weather hit, but to put the top back up you had to pull out, it was maybe 9' thanks for chiming in.

ilmjumper 01-22-2011 02:31 PM

I can just barely squeeze in my garage and can only jack it up if the door is down...think it's a 12 ft door? and there's a maybe 2-3 inch difference between garage floor and the driveway. I've a 4" lift and 33s. Is your house on stilts like a beach house? Any space to put a larger carport-ish structure?

andreafahy01 01-22-2011 02:37 PM

Yeah, on stilts like a beach house. The primary point of going up on pilings was for protection and functionality of our jeeps. Simultaneously, we'll have protection if the property ever floods (in a flood zone, no history of flooding that we know of) and a better view of the river. And the point was that we are on less than 1/2 acre and the way our property is laid out (no neighbors and completely exposed) we want everything neat and tidy and only one structure on the property.

I think someone's just going to have to fix their mistake! My husband spoke with the contractor but I don't know the outcome of it yet. Just pisses me off b/c we were very, very clear in communicating our requirements. Thankfully, we did catch (day before pilings started going in the ground) that they forgot to allow for the WIDTH of a drive-entrance. We have some architectural knowledge and figured it out and had to have a new piling plan engineered, there goes another grand... otherwise Greg would have had about 2" clearance (inch on either side) to squeeze his jeep in, that's ridiculous. If short term, that's one thing but when you're spending the money on a new, potentially forever house, wtf?

good to know that 12' is a tough one for you, I see no reason we should have to give in to their mistake, we'd be the ones paying for the mistake day after day, year after year.. not the workers.

andreafahy01 01-22-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 1006958)
Not sure of the actual height but I can no longer pull into most average garages and I can not put my soft top down while parked under my car port. I think the carport it something like 10' and its not even close to being enough room to put it down on my LJ.

What sort of lift and tire size are you running?

c.m.martin1009 01-22-2011 06:12 PM

I'm 6'4 I have 4 inch suspension and 33s, the top of my jeep is a smidge taller than me

Sent from my iPhone using WF Access

MOPWR2U 01-22-2011 07:01 PM

You may be worrying for nothing. My 4 door JK has 37" tires, and the highest part of the roof is 6'-5" high. If you have 11' of clearance that gives you 4 1/2 feet above the roof of the Jeep.

daggo66 01-22-2011 09:01 PM

Yes, but she also wants to be able to flip up the soft top and wants the extra room.

Andrea, have you consider spacers on top of the pilings? :rofl:

rketr 01-23-2011 08:39 AM

You should be fine. I just measured my TJ: 7' 1" tall as it sits in the driveway. An 11' ceiling should be more than ample.

uppidycon 02-03-2011 03:26 AM

do you want to be able to put the top down without driving from under the house? is it a soft top? i have 8" of lift and ride on 37's and i BAAARRREEELLY fit in my buddies garage.. i think his garage is 7' tall.. y'all should be fine with 11' lay the top down..

XtrmTJ 02-03-2011 08:18 AM

My TJ is 81" tall and 87" wide. :punk: He just fits in my garage by a couple inches. :D

Marsmonkey12 02-03-2011 09:51 AM

Stock Hight little bit bit wider than stock due to wide tires. But if I close the garage door and move it away from the door motor the top goes ip or down easy as pie.

babiehughie 02-03-2011 01:21 PM

I've got an '07 4 door on 35" KM2's (measure 34.25") with a 2.5" TeraFlex spring lift. My garage is 8'4" tall, and I cannot open/close the sun-rider portion of the soft-top inside - about 6" short of being able to "flip" the top. However, I can fold it down if I start at the back (pull it from the back) and fold as it slides down the sport bars. I would love to have 10' ceilings!