Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Ordered painted AEV hood from QT today

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  KC_Hawker 
#1 ·
Finally ordered my AEV hood today. After listening to a lot of people on here I was going to get bare hood and have a local company to paint it, but then I talked to 3 different auto shops in the area and realized they were making it more of a hassle then it needed to be. They all stopped short of refusing to have the hood shipped to their shop - said I would have to have it shipped to my place so i could inspect it then bring it to them. Since I really dont have a way to do all that, I just figured I would trust Quadratec and let them paint it and put it on myself.

I will update everyone and let you all know how the match is and how it all works out.

#3 ·
Man, that's cool! I LOVE that hood! Congratulations!

#5 ·
Following up with this as I know some of you are interested in the details.

The hood is being delivered today, so it took basically a month to have it painted and delivered.

Now the bad news, I am not home and will not be home for at least a month so my son is putting my hood in the basement till I get home.

I will let you know how the paint looks when I actually get to see it !

#12 ·
When I bought mine in '13, I had to order directly through AEV. Since the 13's started with the dual nozzles, QT wasn't quite ready for that change. At the time their website only referenced the single-nozzle design. Sorry, that was a bit off-topic.

I also had mine shipped to where I work. That saved me $$$ because the costs from the freight company was a LOT cheaper shipping it to a commercial address vs a residential one.

The one I bought was unpainted. Good thing, as there were several minor imperfections that the body shop had to address before painting. I think in total, everything cost around $1,500 (incl shipping) and I had the AEV hood lifts installed as well.

#15 ·
OK I FINALLY got back home late yesterday. I put the Hood on this am - see pictures below.

The good:
the color match was great
easy for anyone to put on
looks amazing

The bad:
the hood was damaged in shipping. My son didnt look at the box and something was pushed through all the way to hit the top of the hood. Small chip and small dent. Not going to worry about it, like others have said (and I originally planned on) inspect when it arrives. Need a touch up pen and I will be ok (not perfect but no use crying over it).
I need to find a way to get rid of the old hood (with the hail damage on it)

Overall I would do it again, but I am 50/50 on whether I would have QT do the painting simply due to the slight damage in shipping (not their fault).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.