Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   buying jeep for my kid... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/buying-jeep-for-my-kid-7728.html)

tiny terror 04-29-2007 06:55 PM

buying jeep for my kid...

Ok guys, I'm in the market for a used jeep for my son. Problem is I've never purchased a used car in my life so I'd like a little advice. Here's one that I saw today on Craigslist....

jeep yj for $3000

I'd like an auto and a 6 but I'm assuming this one is not a 6. Would three grand be a good price? What are some of the years I should avoid or look for, or any other things I should stay away from??

Any advice would be appreciated, including horror stories :D

amerijeep 04-29-2007 07:24 PM

It might be worth $3000. There is a good chance it is, but I would need a mechanic to check it out to be sure.

Hard to find an auto YJ. I peronally would no go older than probably 92 if I were in the market for a YJ. Preferably, I would go with a 95.

4.0l sahara 04-29-2007 07:57 PM

If you get a yj try for a 95.How old is your son? If he just started driving I would get him a early tj because it has air bags and would be safer for him.I'm only 15 and my dad bought me a jeep to work on over the summer and he wouldn't get me a yj because they don't have air bags.:(

mrbigjeep 04-29-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.0l sahara (Post 77346)
I'm only 15 and my dad bought me a jeep to work on over the summer and he wouldn't get me a yj because they don't have air bags.:(

well your very lucky :D

tiny, no that jeep is not the 6 so your assumption is correct.

4.0l sahara 04-29-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep (Post 77366)
well your very lucky :D

tiny, no that jeep is not the 6 so your assumption is correct.

lol
Ya i wouldn't get a 2.5 go for a 4.0 it's better engien and should last longer.:D

debruins 04-29-2007 09:07 PM

ya same here my parents would only let me buy a TJ, up here though a good 97 TJ w/out rust is about 7-8k. Maybe for a first jeep an 97 XJ for about 3000, sooner or later he will smash it up and with the insurance $$ and him being a little older you/he will buy a TJ, or a YJ, but if he just smashed a Xj up you probably would want him w/ air bags idn.

debruins 04-29-2007 09:10 PM

wait ur dad bough you yours
damn you are lucky!!

and if you want to get him/her what he really wants, get a CJ-7 w/ a V8 in it, i have been begging my parents to let me buy this

1975 Jeep CJ Custom Built.
but they wont , it will flip, no airbags, to much $$, you will crash, blah blah blah ERRGH

4.0l sahara 04-29-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 77378)
wait ur dad bough you yours
damn you are lucky!!

and if you want to get him/her what he really wants, get a CJ-7 w/ a V8 in it, i have been begging my parents to let me buy this

1975 Jeep CJ Custom Built.
but they wont , it will flip, no airbags, to much $$, you will crash, blah blah blah ERRGH

Ya I wanted one to work on because I go to a tech high school and take auto and i'm always am working on a car.I also got good grades all year so he bought me a tj.:)

amerijeep 04-29-2007 10:50 PM

Man. I guess none of your parents drove until recently seeing as how air bags are relatively new

amy 04-29-2007 10:59 PM

When I was a kid, we didn't even have seatbelts...

Good luck in your search, Tiny. If it were me, I'd get him the 4.0, 6 banger, just to make sure he has the power to make the trails you know he's gonna want to try.

tiny terror 04-29-2007 11:23 PM

I'm not worried about an airbag, I wrecked my mustang three times, bent the frame twice, and walked away without a scratch. (I liked to race)

I'm actually pretty interested in a YJ for him (but not set on it), needs to be a 6, and I've found one or two in auto, but they were just too much. I figure I can look for a bit longer and see if something shows up.

amy 04-29-2007 11:30 PM

Yup, keep looking until you find what you want. I don't know what it's like in Cali but, up here, by mid-summer, there are just about jeeps for sale on every car lot.

Dare2BSquare 04-29-2007 11:38 PM

Is this the kid in the picture with you that looked like he was about 6 or 7 years old?

tiny terror 04-29-2007 11:42 PM

:D haha, course not. This is for my 17 year old. He needs a job and I don't wanna have to drive him to it. The little one's getting a machine gun.

Dare2BSquare 04-29-2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 77463)
:D haha, course not. This is for my 17 year old. He needs a job and I don't wanna have to drive him to it. The little one's getting a machine gun.

... and a lightning rod?

tiny terror 04-30-2007 12:01 AM

Nope, never been worried about lightening strikes.

1BLKJP 04-30-2007 03:54 AM

Tiny, honestly the 2.5 wouldn't be bad for a kid to have. He wouldn't be hot rodding it around much that way. :D Plus if he wanted to build it up later gearing can overcome a lot of that lack of power.

richp 04-30-2007 08:03 AM

Both my kids got wranglers, about 5 years ago son got a 89YJ, 6 auto, hard top, ran good till he was hit head on by an infinity while he was stopped at a stop sign. 25ft of backwards skid marks, infinity in two piece, nose/engine and body, jeep, bent bumper, grill, fender, broken marker lights, he drove if for two months then sold it for a TJ. The woman tried to blame him too...
Daughter in her TJ had a girl make a left turn in front of her from the other direction, she was doing 40, it was a saturn, her TJ tboned it, broke the saturn in half, it had a big crack in the roof from b pillar to bpillar, blew all the airbags, windows and shot it like a croquet ball into a power pole. Nobody got hurt though the guy in passenger seat probably had 7 slot grill nitemares for a while. TJ had bent warn front bumper, crumpled fender chin, broken marker lights and fender flare. They are tough trucks and there is nothing wrong with a 2.5L 5 speed, they already have 4:10 gears :D and handle 30's with no problem.

skeeter 04-30-2007 08:26 AM

Air bags kill!!!
Wear a seat belt.

Mike001 04-30-2007 08:53 AM

Must be nice having parents buy your vevicles for you. Airbags aint that great anyway. What are the odd of getting in a head on collision thats the only time they should go off right.