Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   dana 44 upgrade question? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/dana-44-upgrade-question-77376.html)

Droelle 01-25-2011 12:37 PM

dana 44 upgrade question?

I have found this Dana 44 Rubicon front axle for Jeep jk's. It has 4.10 gears with no locker witch is what I want. I plan to 4.88 gears with ox lockers front and rear. My question is even tho it says Rubicon front axle, will it still fit under my sport? Would I have to do any special mods to the axle or the Jeep, or should it just pop right into place?

Sent from my thread killing droid!

GREEN-MACHINE 01-25-2011 12:41 PM

should bolt right up.

4Jeepn 01-25-2011 12:46 PM

Make sure to remove the cover and look inside the diff for damage to gears etc. Seems odd they would remove the locker.

Droelle 01-25-2011 12:57 PM

Its like they took the locker out and might have sold it separately or something. Onnly problem I'm having now is that I wanted to run ox lockers but they don't make a locker for the Dana 44 on the jk. I liked the whole cable idea cuz I don't want to have to run air. But the axle wont be put on the Jeep until I go to regear and lock her out.

Droelle 01-25-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEN-MACHINE
should bolt right up.

Thanks that's all I needed to hear! LOL!

Grog 01-25-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droelle (Post 1013141)
Its like they took the locker out and might have sold it separately or something. Onnly problem I'm having now is that I wanted to run ox lockers but they don't make a locker for the Dana 44 on the jk. I liked the whole cable idea cuz I don't want to have to run air. But the axle wont be put on the Jeep until I go to regear and lock her out.

I have never used an Ox locker, but everyone I know of has used Ox switched to another locker.

D44 housings come in two types, Rubi lockers, and aftermarket. I don't know what the difference is, but there is a difference. Could just be the diff cover.

Ibuildembig 01-25-2011 02:55 PM

Yeah arb or electric over OX, the ox won't engage if your already hung up and can't spin the tires.

Droelle 01-26-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig
Yeah arb or electric over OX, the ox won't engage if your already hung up and can't spin the tires.

What about Detroit? Air/electric/or cable?

Ibuildembig 01-26-2011 09:01 AM

the only ones that will engage that I know of for a fact if your already stuck and cannot spin the diff to get it to engage are an arb and an electric locker. Everythign else your gonna have to be able to turn the diff over a little so it can engage and sometimes thats not always the case. I personally like the ARBs best.