Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Manifold or Header (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/manifold-or-header-77425.html)

lifsavr 01-25-2011 07:43 PM

Manifold or Header
 
Guys...I have a 4 cyl. 97 TJ with a cracked Exhaust Manifold and was wondering what would be better put another exhaust manifold on it or put a header on it and whats the benefits on putting a header on a 4 banger. Can you give me some sites where I can find some at other than Quadratec and 4WD. Also where can I find a dummy 02 sensor at?:punk:

Mike_3303 01-25-2011 07:49 PM

Many people say that the stock manifold is just fine and you wont do anything except wasting money with a header. Not much difference in performance unless you completly rebuild your engine with performance parts such as cam, bore, turbo, ext. Save the money and put it towards some other mod for your jeep

lifsavr 01-25-2011 09:52 PM

Thats kinda what I thought but just thought I would get some input from some of you guys. Any Ideas where I can get a dummy 02 sensor so I can get the damn CHECK ENGINE light to go off its driving me nuts!!

99wranglertj 01-26-2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_3303
Many people say that the stock manifold is just fine and you wont do anything except wasting money with a header. Not much difference in performance unless you completly rebuild your engine with performance parts such as cam, bore, turbo, ext. Save the money and put it towards some other mod for your jeep

I disagree, while there may not be a whole lot of improvement, there will be some. I noticed better throttle response and slightly increased fuel mileage with my headers on my TJ. Plus they are a little cheaper or about the same money as the the stock manifold if you go with an off brand header like I did. If you want to save money stay away from brands like Hooker and Borla.

Jaxster 01-26-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99wranglertj

I disagree, while there may not be a whole lot of improvement, there will be some. I noticed better throttle response and slightly increased fuel mileage with my headers on my TJ. Plus they are a little cheaper or about the same money as the the stock manifold if you go with an off brand header like I did. If you want to save money stay away from brands like Hooker and Borla.

Hi Guys,

I recently had my cracked exhaust manifold replaced with a header. Since the install I have witnessed an improvement in power output, say 5% maybe 10%.

Cheers

Peepers 01-26-2011 07:59 AM

Ebay... picked up a "performance" header for my 6 for about $100-$150 I think

Mike_3303 01-26-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxster (Post 1014938)
Hi Guys,

I recently had my cracked exhaust manifold replaced with a header. Since the install I have witnessed an improvement in power output, say 5% maybe 10%.

Cheers

The stock Tj from 2000-2006 with the I6 has 190hp, and the 1997-2002 I4 as the OP has, has 120hp . I respectivly dissagree that you could have gained 9.5 to 19 hp with an I6, or 6 to 12 hp with on I4 with just a header swap. Though it may improve some driving and response aspects of the jeep, it's not going to be a drastic change as you say.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.