Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   MP3/Cd player help-warning, this is kinda vague... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/mp3-cd-player-help-warning-this-is-kinda-vague-77598.html)

ilmjumper 01-26-2011 11:09 PM

MP3/Cd player help-warning, this is kinda vague...

So I have an Alpine cd player that has a seperate 6 disc changer hooked up in the back, in my 99 tj. I'd like to get rid of the 6 disc and hopefully add a input for a mp3/ipod. SO, when I pull my radio out, there's the normal plug with all the speaker wires, and the power plug (guessing?) and then there's a large jack pluged in on one side that I'm guessing is the 6 disc? And then over the plug there are 4 possible inputs, 2 white, 2 red. Are those inputs that I could just plug a jack in and play it? Is it possible to add an input for an mp3 or should I just scrap it and buy a new head unit?
....does anyone use 6 disc changers anymore?:nonono:
I think I'm pretty smart and should be able to figure this out...but i gotta say, wires seem to confuse the mess out of me!

Jaydogg25 01-27-2011 12:31 PM

the white & red RCA jacks are outputs for amps. what you would have to do is check w/ Alpine to see if the make a jack, & see if your radio can support, one for a AUX and/or I-Pod hook up...most companies have one and it used the cd change input.

Jaydogg25 01-27-2011 12:34 PM

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

here are their accessories. just ahve to make sure your radio can take one of these..when i doubt can always contact them and ask

Peepers 01-27-2011 12:42 PM

x2. I have a 6 year old JVC head unit that can use the cd changer connection for a 3.5mm input. I have not seen one (that I remember) that would directly connect an Ipod that would let you charge/control it.

Jaydogg25 01-27-2011 01:04 PM

alot of companies maybe getting away from jacks that pluged into changer input. last several years most radios have a usb input on them..even the cheap $100 (or so radios)

i know when i sold JVC they had one but havent seen it in about 2y or so. i havent worked our stereo side of company for a couple years and things change alot

ilmjumper 01-27-2011 01:38 PM

yeah, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off (or atleast save myself some time) with just getting a cheapie that already has an usb input on it. Afterall, it is in a jeep ;)

Jaydogg25 01-27-2011 03:10 PM

thats what i did w/ my YJ...and bring a flash drive as well...i can plug a flash drive into my usb and play music..i love that. that way no risk of gettin i-pod stolen etc

ilmjumper 01-27-2011 03:22 PM

:eek: That's the best idea ever! lol does play right off the flash drive?

YHSublime 01-27-2011 03:58 PM

Yeah, it should play right off the flash drive. I usually connect my Droid X to my car mount with just the aux and use it for pandora and whatnot, but when I want to hook my iPod up, this works great for me, and I can navigate it with the head unit, or the remote. This is what I have:

Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-4200UB CD Receiver with OEL Display and USB iPod Control: Electronics

Jaydogg25 01-27-2011 05:37 PM

yea works great off flash drive...depending on head unit depends on how much you can split music up... i normaly have the bands folder then music under it.. i'm sure alot anymore will let you have Band folder > CD > music (maybe even more). that way you can scan through music faster.