Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Your opinion wanted! YJ or Rubicon? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/your-opinion-wanted-yj-or-rubicon-78173.html)

YJman 01-31-2011 01:50 PM

Your opinion wanted! YJ or Rubicon?
 
So here's the deal fellow Jeepers,
Im 17 and in high school so I don't have tons of skill or cash yet. My YJ is going to be my daily driver (once I get my license this week :D ). My father told me, that once he pays off some bills and I save up money, I can sell my YJ and buy a TJ Rubicon in the summer if I wanted to. But here's the catch. Since my mom wanted a new Jeep, I'd have to let her borrow it every so often.. which I don't mind her running to the grocery store or something with it. I just don't want her shopping in it and racking up the miles.Her car is a 2005 we bought brand new and it has about 150,XXX on it :facepalm:. I want the Rubicon for the obvious reasons, but I love my YJ and like how it's set up as apposed to a TJ. The problem is, I can't swap the axles and put lockers in it due to the fact that it can be a costly project, I don't have my own welder, and I'm not going to be able to lay it up for a week because I won't have another car to get to school or a job in.

I can use the money I get from my YJ and put it as a down payment on the Rubi and take out a loan. Then I can pay monthly on it so it won't be too bad.

With that being said, would you guys take the offer and sell the YJ to buy a 2003 or 2004 Rubicon? Or keep the YJ?

Thanks Everyone!

XJ Knight 01-31-2011 01:57 PM

Well lets look at the money aspect.. How much do you think you can get for your YJ and can you afford car payments... Depending on how much you sell your YJ for and at how many months your loan will be will affect the monthly cost on the loan..

O and yes I would.. Be a no brainer to me to go from a TJ Rubi from a YJ

XJ Knight 01-31-2011 02:00 PM

Let me add you will be looking at most likely 10-15k for a TJ Rubi

Garyk 01-31-2011 02:07 PM

If the YJ is in good condition and runs good, is paid off and you like it.....stay with it. The newer one will be a lot more $$, you will have a loan and extra cost for insurance ( you will have to have collision/comp if you finance it and if something breaks you'll be really hurting. My advice is to keep it at least till you get out of school.

Bubba68CS 01-31-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyk (Post 1025373)
If the YJ is in good condition and runs good, is paid off and you like it.....stay with it. The newer one will be a lot more $$, you will have a loan and extra cost for insurance ( you will have to have collision/comp if you finance it and if something breaks you'll be really hurting. My advice is to keep it at least till you get out of school.

I would have to agree. Car payments suck...and at your age, income isn't something you can really rely on yet. Its nice having something completely paid for.

YJman 01-31-2011 02:53 PM

Damn.. lol. My mother talked to me about it and she said she'd split the payment with me because she wants me in a vehicle with air bags and that's more road worthy lol. Does that help?

Ibuildembig 01-31-2011 02:56 PM

I vote to keep whitey....all you need is a rubi case and a lil tweaking here and there and you can go where a rubi will go. And, it will be all yours :)

Hell look at my ole man, he is ditching his 05 rubi in favor of the 95 I am doing for him.

ChicaliBroYJ 01-31-2011 03:01 PM

I say keep the YJ. It's already paid off, you've already invested in it finacially and emotionally. When you graduate HS, the last thing you need is another bill. And I love my YJ so I vote for your YJ.

4Jeepn 01-31-2011 03:15 PM

Get past college before you start taking on loans for Jeeps or cars. It will make a world of difference.

JDsDream 01-31-2011 03:15 PM

Have you ever heard the term "A bird in the Hand is worth two in the bush"? right now you have the YJ in hand. Think about the mods you could do to your YJ with the money that you would have if you don't have to make payments. Another thing to consider is the fact that Mom isn't as likely to want to borrow your YJ as she would a Rubi.
Keep the YJ.

YJman 01-31-2011 04:04 PM

But the problem is, to get the YJ where I want it, I need:

-bondo job $200
-paint job $650
-front and rear bumpers $450ish?
-POR to do the whole underside $200ish i think
-herculiner kit $90
-lift kit $600ish
-tires $600-700ish
-seat covers $200
-stainless brake lines $150
And if I do what I really want to do...
-Ford 8.8 axle in the rear
-selectable lockers front and rear $a-lot

So all this money and work (that I don't have the equipment for anymore), when I can have most of it done just by buying a new Jeep. Plus I can't lay the Jeep up to work on this stuff really. Like the axles.

Agh I'm so stuck x_x

haroldpo6 01-31-2011 04:21 PM

Why ask the question when your mind is already made up?

NHrubicon 01-31-2011 04:22 PM

Stainless steel brake lines...a lot less than $150...you can buy a spool of line and run them yourself...put the ends on, and save a ton of money...same on the bondo and painting, learn to do that yourself!
I have a 94 YJ, and an 03 rubicon...the YJ is fun, but only a 4 cylinder so not good on the highway...just can't get up to 55 easily. The rubicon is my preferred driver, on and off road...and my wife will take it off road anytime.
BUT there's a huge price difference between the 2 of them...and if you can find an 03 for under $15...that is in good shape...well....that's something you have to think about long and hard...it's going to be at the age and probably mileage where things are going to start going wrong and need fixing...just a full set of brake pads and rotors for ONE axle can set you back $600 or more. Universals going in the driveshaft? Couple of hundred $$ in labor alone, plus parts to get it done...or learn to do it yourself.
YJ looking better now?

Bubba68CS 01-31-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJman (Post 1025608)
But the problem is, to get the YJ where I want it, I need:

-bondo job $200
-paint job $650
-front and rear bumpers $450ish?
-POR to do the whole underside $200ish i think
-herculiner kit $90
-lift kit $600ish
-tires $600-700ish
-seat covers $200
-stainless brake lines $150

And if I do what I really want to do...
-Ford 8.8 axle in the rear
-selectable lockers front and rear $a-lot

So all this money and work (that I don't have the equipment for anymore), when I can have most of it done just by buying a new Jeep.

Agh I'm so stuck x_x

Take out the optional modifications and go with JUST what you'll gain with the Rubi...guarantee it'll cost you less to keep the YJ.

And trust me, you'll want disposable income when you're in college - and having a car payment and full coverage insurance cuts deeply into that. And if you're not going to college, you're going into the real world where you'll have more responsibilities and need the money just as much.

When it comes down to it, financially it makes no sense to take on that payment at your age. You're trying to backwards rationalize getting that shiny Rubicon...nothing wrong with it, we all do it...but be honest with yourself before making a decision. Either way, you'll have a Jeep... :thumb:

crunch 01-31-2011 05:05 PM

From KBB a 03 Rubi retail is just shy of 14k now that is not adding anything and figuring 100k on the odometer. Looking at your list your wanting aftermarket bumpers in the $400 and herculiner for another 100 (I know the kit is 90 but you need more than what kit contains) at 100k which is about average for a 8 year old vehicle it is also probably going to need your 6-700 in tires and a couple hundred in brakes and so on a so forth.

I'm not tryin to be a J/O or anything neither is anybody else on here we are just telling you what we think because we have been there.

XJ Knight 01-31-2011 05:40 PM

Just to give you an idea of what your gonna see in that TJ Rubi Price range i was talking about earlier 10-15k If you so go that Rubi route you are thinking about

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, $14,995 - Cars.com

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, $14,995 - Cars.com

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4x4 93k miles $249/month!!

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

ChicaliBroYJ 01-31-2011 05:41 PM

There's also something to be said for working on your Jeep all day, then step back when you've finished and know that YOU did this and nobody can take that sense of accomplishment away from you. The best way to learn that is to build the ol' YJ up. And you don't NEED some of the stuff you listed. There was a time when people wheeled across the world without $400 bumpers or herculiner or a $500 paint job. Don't get caught up in the bells and whistles.

drbandkgb 01-31-2011 06:43 PM

KIDS!

So at 17 how do you expect to pay for this?
Can you afford full coverage insurance
Would you rather have money in your pocket to spend as you please or...
Saving up that money for a monthly payment and sitting at home...

And then in a year or two your going to want and move out.. Car payments suck

Garyk 01-31-2011 07:47 PM

You live in CT, where I used to live for too many years. A 2003 will already have rust in places that might be just showing. There are a lot of older jeeps in that area and people that can give you good pointers on how to update your YJ. Hell, my brother-inlaw and nephew have 3 or 4 between them. A lot of the work that needs to be done to your YJ can be done by you a little at time.
The lift, wheels etc will have to be added to the new too unless you get lucky and find one already done but it will be big $$..

fmhyj 01-31-2011 08:24 PM

sound like your mind is made up, but if u have a PAID FOR jeep, y get rid of her? nothin wrong with that jeep, think of money youll save and little by little u can make the yj how u need it, and wont have to worry about a note!

YJman 01-31-2011 10:32 PM

It sounds like I have my mind made up but I really don't. I'm a 17 year old kid who sucks at making decisions lol. Okay let me see if i can touch each one of your posts..

haroldpo6-As said above, my mind is never made up completely :)

NHrubicon-I figured I'd do the stainless kit because I've never done brake lines before. My dad bought the kit for his vette and said he likes the kit better for simplicity. But he also spun my Jeep out going around a corner in 2wd in the snow while I wasn't home. He took me spare key.. (and he used to own a a couple of CJs with posi lock. shame on him.). The bondo, we might try ourselves. And if we screw up, then we have it fixed by someone. The painting, we calculated the cost for a decent spray gun and paint, plus tarps and poles to make a tent, and it came out to $400. I also don't have a compressor that can handle a paint gun. The price on the Rubi is the bad part. But I can do brakes and universals myself.

Bubba68cs-If I could put in the axle and put the lockers in myself, I would. But I can't. I don't have the equipment, time, or money on hand to buy lockers. :(

Crunch-I wasn't going to put bumpers on the Rubi right away :) Or bed line it right away. :) That stuff would come in the future because as everyone's saying, I wouldn't have the money right away.

ChicaliBroYJ-You're completely right. I love that feeling of accomplishment. But the thing is, I can't accomplish putting in a new axle and lockers. :[ But you also make a good point on wheeling in the past lol. The thing is though, kids around here are filthy rich. Last year, a kid's parents bought him a brand new mustang GT. Another kid, a brand new BMW. There's about 4 other Jeeps at my school, all of which have nice paint. There's no rust running down, no spray paint, no primer, and no spots where the body kawk has cracked. I mean, when all these other kids are driving 2005 Ford F250s, Lexus's, newer range rovers, mustangs, beamers, infinites, Mercedes, it's almost embarrassing to pull in with a Jeep that's half spray painted. I know it wouldn't matter to most of you, but I'm no jock in school, but I'm not a geek either. I'm just trying to keep whatever crappy reputation I have lol. When someone insults your Jeep that you've put hours of labor into like my mother, my sister, and my girlfriend, it takes the feeling of pride away. Makes you feel like you didn't do good enough.

I'm too lazy to answer the rest of you one at a time, but yes money is always in issue. Insurance, I'm on some kind of plan that I don't understand but my parents have my back on that one. They bought my sister an almost new 2010 $13,600 Mazda 3 and pay for her insurance. It just pisses me off because they have money coming out of their @$$es for my sister but when it comes to me their wallets are empty. :zap: Sorry bought that.. Okay Let me stop talking now before I make everyone read too much.

Bubba68CS 01-31-2011 11:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by YJman (Post 1026528)
Bubba68cs-If I could put in the axle and put the lockers in myself, I would. But I can't. I don't have the equipment, time, or money on hand to buy lockers. :(

Do you actually need lockers right now? I'd love to have them too, but for the way I use my Jeep, I don't need them yet.

As for this:

Quote:

The thing is though, kids around here are filthy rich. Last year, a kid's parents bought him a brand new mustang GT. Another kid, a brand new BMW. There's about 4 other Jeeps at my school, all of which have nice paint. There's no rust running down, no spray paint, no primer, and no spots where the body kawk has cracked. I mean, when all these other kids are driving 2005 Ford F250s, Lexus's, newer range rovers, mustangs, beamers, infinites, Mercedes, it's almost embarrassing to pull in with a Jeep that's half spray painted. I know it wouldn't matter to most of you, but I'm no jock in school, but I'm not a geek either. I'm just trying to keep whatever crappy reputation I have lol. When someone insults your Jeep that you've put hours of labor into like my mother, my sister, and my girlfriend, it takes the feeling of pride away. Makes you feel like you didn't do good enough.
There will always be kids with more. Its sickening the number of kids in my town whose mommies and daddies have bought them $50,000+ vehicles :facepalm: They will have to learn the hard way the value of a dollar.

There will also always be kids who'll try to put down your ride regardless of how great it is. Gotta deal with that in your own way.

Anyway, I drove this in high school - and LOVED it to death. Wish I could have kept it, but unfortunately rust was too severe...sent it to a salvage yard about a year ago :(

Attachment 36540

^^I actually had all three of those in highschool. The Camaro senior year (paid cash)...the Cutlass since I was 15 (pulled out of a salvage yard...work in progress at the time). No payments on any of them!

Attachment 36541

wellsnmj 01-31-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicaliBroYJ (Post 1025871)
There's also something to be said for working on your Jeep all day, then step back when you've finished and know that YOU did this and nobody can take that sense of accomplishment away from you. The best way to learn that is to build the ol' YJ up. And you don't NEED some of the stuff you listed. There was a time when people wheeled across the world without $400 bumpers or herculiner or a $500 paint job. Don't get caught up in the bells and whistles.

:thumb: Absolutely and nothing is appreciated more then something you do yourself versus something done for you... The wonderful thing about the want upgrades is you can do them as you can afford it don't need to be done so stick them on the back burner...you'll have alot more money for mods if you don't have a car payment

armadillo 02-01-2011 12:34 AM

Keep the PAID FOR YJ. In a couple more years it will be a classic.:thumb:

iix23 02-01-2011 12:50 AM

Your 17 years old and you already have a paid Jeep. You are ahead of 98% of the people your age. I would keep the yj.
Just remember that what ever Jeep you want, you will always want to improve it and or modify it. It never stops ;)

You have a keeper there.

YJman 02-01-2011 09:13 AM

I see what you guys are saying. I want lockers or limited slip because in my backyard, I put my front tire against an 8 inch tall rock. When I tried climbing over it, my front left tire and my rear right tire were just spinning -__- I was disappointed sort of.

But also, I can't put in a new rear axle to handle a locker or anything. I don't have a welder anymore or the knowledge to do that. Then I'd have to buy a TJ front axle with 4.10s because the ford 8.8 will probably have 4.10s. But then the vacuum system won't work with the TJ front end.

So maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Maybe my question is, how long does it take, how hard is it, and how expensive is it to throw in 2 new axles with limited slip or lockers or something?

Outlawmack 02-01-2011 09:40 AM

U can find a 4 cylinder yj front end and it has 4:10 gears stock. Just think what 15 grand can do to your yj? Spend the 600 a month on it ( cost of tj n higher insurance ) and you will have a jeep that can out do a STOCK rubi because you WON'T have the extra cash to upgrade it with a lift, tires, bumpers, winch (EVERYTHING YOU WANT FOR THE YJ ANYWAY) think long and hard about your decision but for the money (I know it's hard to imagine) it's cheaper to build up your yj

YJman 02-01-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outlawmack (Post 1027112)
U can find a 4 cylinder yj front end and it has 4:10 gears stock. Just think what 15 grand can do to your yj? Spend the 600 a month on it ( cost of tj n higher insurance ) and you will have a jeep that can out do a STOCK rubi because you WON'T have the extra cash to upgrade it with a lift, tires, bumpers, winch (EVERYTHING YOU WANT FOR THE YJ ANYWAY) think long and hard about your decision but for the money (I know it's hard to imagine) it's cheaper to build up your yj

I do agree. But I don't have the equipment needed to build up the YJ. That's what I've been trying to say. So the most I can do on it is a lift and tires. I can't play with the axles because I don't have a welder :(

But for now, I think you guys persuaded me to keep my YJ. Having a Jeep loan at this age would suck.. and although it'd be nice to have a newer Jeep, I like being able to show people how much work I've put into it so far.

If you guys could give me ideas about the axles, that'd be appreciated too.

Thanks Everyone! :)

Bubba68CS 02-01-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJman (Post 1027118)
I do agree. But I don't have the equipment needed to build up the YJ. That's what I've been trying to say. So the most I can do on it is a lift and tires. I can't play with the axles because I don't have a welder :(

But for now, I think you guys persuaded me to keep my YJ. Having a Jeep loan at this age would suck.. and although it'd be nice to have a newer Jeep, I like being able to show people how much work I've put into it so far.

If you guys could give me ideas about the axles, that'd be appreciated too.

Thanks Everyone! :)

I think you're worrying way too much about the welder. Welding on new brackets for an axle isn't a big deal...take it to an exhaust shop and they'll likely be able to hook you up for not a lot of cash.

As for setting up a ring and pinion (required for installing a new carrier) - very very very few on this site have ever even tried...so thats something you'd have a shop do anyway. And yeah, its a bit expensive (really expensive if you go with selectable lockers). But a heck of a lot less than a Rubicon. Just take your time...build it up as you have the funds.

JDsDream 02-01-2011 09:57 AM

The first thing that I would suggest is that you get together with some other Jeep lovers in your area. Check the Connecticut Forum and find a club. Go out and do some light wheeling with them and get to know them. You will find that Wrangler owners are like a family and are usually willing to help each other out. I'm sure that you can find the resources that you need. I know guys that will work on a Wrangler for pizza because they just love to work on them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.