Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   1999 tj motor swap (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/1999-tj-motor-swap-78178.html)

TJdangle 01-31-2011 01:29 PM

1999 tj motor swap

So, having the 2.5l lil four banger in my tj, and tired of the wind being my mortal enemy, I figure I need a change... What v8, preferably fuel injected, would be the cheapest, easiest swap? Also, tranny and diffs?

Ibuildembig 01-31-2011 04:08 PM

ford explorer v8 with mustang ecm and motorsport wiring harness. Get a tranny adapter and let er rip :)

yjkid95 01-31-2011 07:03 PM

^^Trust me hes putting this in simple terms. Look at novak-adapt.com they have plenty of information on swapping V8's into jeeps. Personally I am going with a small block chevy 350 and a 700r4 automatic. I actually have the heads off right now in the parts washer and waiting for my valve stem seals to come in. But reason for me going with a GM motor instead of ford and dodge is simply the fact that I am a chevy guy and there are lots more parts out there to swap a GM motor in a jeep then a Ford motor. Personally I stay away from mopar. Basically my whole drivetrain (mopar) is getting tossed and going to have a Chevy motor transmission (whoops the only good thing on a stock jeep) and the NP231J thats on there right now. Then ford axles. 8.8 for now in the rear later on a 60 up front and 10.25 in the rear. (but thats when me and my wallet are ready to go all out) So mainly its up to what you like best. If your a chevy guy go chevy if your a ford guy go ford if your a mopar guy...well good luck.
Ian

OklaTJ 03-23-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjkid95 (Post 1026159)
^^Trust me hes putting this in simple terms. Look at novak-adapt.com they have plenty of information on swapping V8's into jeeps. Personally I am going with a small block chevy 350 and a 700r4 automatic. I actually have the heads off right now in the parts washer and waiting for my valve stem seals to come in. But reason for me going with a GM motor instead of ford and dodge is simply the fact that I am a chevy guy and there are lots more parts out there to swap a GM motor in a jeep then a Ford motor. Personally I stay away from mopar. Basically my whole drivetrain (mopar) is getting tossed and going to have a Chevy motor transmission (whoops the only good thing on a stock jeep) and the NP231J thats on there right now. Then ford axles. 8.8 for now in the rear later on a 60 up front and 10.25 in the rear. (but thats when me and my wallet are ready to go all out) So mainly its up to what you like best. If your a chevy guy go chevy if your a ford guy go ford if your a mopar guy...well good luck.
Ian

How is it going on the 350 swap or is it done? I have a 350 just need the trany and transfer case and so on to do my swap. I want to have the EFI but have no idea how to go about the wiring on that. That is what I'm tring to find out now