Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Texas driver need winter weather driving advice (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/texas-driver-need-winter-weather-driving-advice-78298.html)

dfwislander 02-01-2011 09:14 AM

Texas driver need winter weather driving advice

Sleet/snow/ice in DFW. Wife had to go to work and is stuck, I'm going to have to try to go get her. So, for winter covered roads, any recommendations (besides the obvious drive slow). I mean more setup logistics with the jeep. 4whi or lo? ESP on or off? Thanks guys, us southerners don't have experience in this stuff!!

BlackMountain 02-01-2011 09:18 AM

4 wheel hi should be fine. Leave the ESP alone.

Slow steady pressure on the gas and you'll get to where you need to go.

Be careful on ice though, unless you have chains on your tires that can still send you out of control.

Drive slow and safe and you will be fine in 4 Hi

InvertChaos 02-01-2011 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Give yourself waaayyyyyy more room than you need to stop the same thing with the vehicle in front of you. 4WD will get you going easier but you will still have the same braking and steering issues as anyone else. Also only drive the speed you are comfortable at. Don't let the guy in the Prius behind you pressure you to go faster. Either make him deal with it or let him pass. You'll probably find him stuck in a ditch down the road. Goodluck! I know snow is a big deal in Texas. I used to live in west Texas and we got an inch of snow once the whole time I was there (since birth) and the town pretty much shut down lol. Here in northern VA we are a little bit more equipped and it takes just over a foot of snow to cause issues. Anyways be safe!

clear lake jeepn 02-01-2011 09:25 AM

Chains on tires in texas? HAHA thats funny!!

BlackMountain 02-01-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clear lake jeepn (Post 1027212)

If you are referring to my post, i was just pointing out that nothings going to save you if you hit a patch of ice unless you have chains on. I didn't actually expect him to have chains on his tires

JIMBOX 02-01-2011 09:33 AM

:D Good advice on speeds and braking, but

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfwislander (Post 1027178)
Sleet/snow/ice in DFW. Wife had to go to work and is stuck, I'm going to have to try to go get her. So, for winter covered roads, any recommendations (besides the obvious drive slow). I mean more setup logistics with the jeep. 4whi or lo? ESP on or off? Thanks guys, us southerners don't have experience in this stuff!!

You didn't mention whether you had auto/manual, it makes a difference !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

dfwislander 02-01-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackMountain (Post 1027218)
If you are referring to my post, i was just pointing out that nothings going to save you if you hit a patch of ice unless you have chains on. I didn't actually expect him to have chains on his tires

Yeah, I think he said that in jest. Your point was well understood and appreciated. I've frankly never seen a place in Texas that even sells such things!

derfC 02-01-2011 09:35 AM

ugh...

I lived in Austin in the early 90's... the whole city shut down due to a 3-day ice storm! Southern states just don't have the resources needed (salt/ sand/ something) to get that stuff off of the roadway.

So yeah... 4hi, go easy on the gas pedal, brake early (& gently), avoid ice at all costs, & you should get there fine.

*yeah, I know that I'm a southern boy as well, but I spent a few winters in and around KC learning how to navigate through the white stuff... didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, though ;)

dfwislander 02-01-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1027236)
:D Good advice on speeds and braking, but

You didn't mention whether you had auto/manual, it makes a difference !!

Sorry Jimbo, I seem to repeatedly forget that! It is an auto, thanks for schooling me once again! Now that you stuck your nose in, tell me the difference, or rather, what I need to know for an auto!

dfwislander 02-01-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derfC (Post 1027243)
ugh...

I lived in Austin in the early 90's... the whole city shut down due to a 3-day ice storm! Southern states just don't have the resources needed (salt/ sand/ something) to get that stuff off of the roadway.

So yeah... 4hi, go easy on the gas pedal, brake early (& gently), avoid ice at all costs, & you should get there fine.

*yeah, I know that I'm a southern boy as well, but I spent a few winters in and around KC learning how to navigate through the white stuff... didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, though ;)

Yup. That's it here. Everything shut down. Except my wife's surgery center where she works as an RN, apparently the lady coming in REALLY wants that face-lift!

JIMBOX 02-01-2011 09:42 AM

:flowers: Thanx df, if your auto is still stock, then if you have to drive in shallow snow (6"-less) and at speed-stay in 4hi and don't shift out for short pavement spots, but

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfwislander (Post 1027244)
Sorry Jimbo, I seem to repeatedly forget that! It is an auto, thanks for schooling me once again! Now that you stuck your nose in, tell me the difference, or rather, what I need to know for an auto!

If yiou have to drive in 1'-2'-3' of snow and stay at 15 mph or less--stay in 4lo, you can leave in 2nd or "D" and the 4lo will take care of it--

This will keep the tranny heat fairly low-if the coolant sys has been modified (aux cooler)--forget the 4lo advise-unless the snow is deep (3'to 6') or more !!

Good luck

TJ922 02-01-2011 09:44 AM

My suggestion would be if you do not have to go out in it don't. Some folks have no clue how to drive on ice, snow, or in southern california rain. I grew up in Upper Michigan, (I am a Yooper). What I learned about driving in nasty weather was don't do anything too sudden, and you are fine. When approaching an intersection, remove the drive from the wheels by dis-engaging the clutch on a manual, or putting the automatic in Nuetral. Never lock up your brakes just turns your vehicle into a ski.
Jeeps are short wheelbase vehicles, great for climbing over things. However, a short wheelbase vehicle will also come around quick, (I had a 1966 International Scout for my winter car, 100' wheelbase), the good news is once you go into the ditch, (providing you don't hit anything too big, or too hard), you can drive right back out again.
Good luck, I heard it was pretty nasty.

ammoniaman 02-01-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfwislander (Post 1027240)
Yeah, I think he said that in jest. Your point was well understood and appreciated. I've frankly never seen a place in Texas that even sells such things!

We have them in the northern Texas panhandle. It's only 57 miles from my house to the Colorado state line.

dfwislander 02-01-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1027266)
:flowers: Thanx df, if your auto is still stock, then if you have to drive in shallow snow (6"-less) and at speed-stay in 4hi and don't shift out for short pavement spots, but

If yiou have to drive in 1'-2'-3' of snow and stay at 15 mph or less--stay in 4lo, you can leave in 2nd or "D" and the 4lo will take care of it--

This will keep the tranny heat fairly low-if the coolant sys has been modified (aux cooler)--forget the 4lo advise-unless the snow is deep (3'to 6') or more !!

Good luck

Thx! It's more sleet than snow, so very little depth (1 inch or less). Most crunchy/ice stuff. Still haven't taken care of the aux cooler, but, haven't had an issue with heating in it yet.

PTaylor 02-01-2011 09:57 AM

Watch out for others, that is the biggest problem. You can drive fine all day long and all it takes is a few idiots who think they can drive normal to ruin your life. Ice is gonna be the biggest problem, I don't think 4WD matters when it comes to ice. Then again, my experience is about like yours when it comes to snow and ice. Snow, no problem, ice, no way.

We recently got snow and ice here is SC. I was doing pretty good going down the highway, really slow, you know? was going up a hill and hit a patch of ice, and the jeep did a 360 like God grabbed the top and spun it with his/her hand.

I'm sure the yanks would have handled it better but it scared the hell out of me how fast it happened and nothing I did made any difference.

Texas is relatively flat so maybe not a problem like mine, but still, ice is a b!tch and other drivers makes it far worse..
good luck!

Cleric73 02-01-2011 10:08 AM

Houston here - They say 2" of Snow Friday. Maybe a little ice. Here's my rules for unseemly weather driving. (ie Flooding, Hurricane, snow...Looters)
1. Drive only where you have to (work - home, Academy for more Ammo)
2. Drive slow/cautious... it's not you it's them, that will most likely cause an accident.
3. Don't be a wuss... If you commit to something carry on. Don't get half way in the puddle and stop. Jeeps are made for fording water. (with in reason of course)
4. You have 4 wheel drive...use it. On the street, in your neighbors yard, over the Prius/Leaf or guy carrying your neighbors TV.
5. Under no circumstance accept help from someone driving a FJ or H3. :-) You may of course help them for a small fee.

wnesbit13 02-01-2011 10:16 AM

Don't go too fast, give yourself plenty of room, 4wd, don't use your breaks when you are going too fast but just back off of the gas and take your time. If you hit your breaks you're going to slide. And if you see a open field snow off roading is the best

Black and Tan 02-01-2011 10:35 AM

Hi guys and Girls.

This is my first post on the forum.

And here's advice from a Canadian driver who's used to getting 1 to 2 feet of snow in a 24 hour period.

-If you have decent A/T tires, you should be fine on snow and ice. If you have M/T's, I would seriously watch out when braking on an icy surface.

-Stay in 4 Hi. Unless you get stuck.

- ESP is a personal thing in my opinion. It's part of my ritual to turn it completely off if they're is any amount of snow on the road. But then again, I'm used to driving on snow/ice. So try it out in a parking lot or on an empty street. Especially when taking a tight corner on a street...those electronic nannies can be frustrating and dangerous if you don't know what to do when they kick in.

- Be especially careful if you're passing other cars in a multiple lane road. Wider tires will not ''cut'' as well through snow drifts and tracks left by previous passing vehicles.

- If you have diff locks...DO NOT LOCK THEM ON THE ROAD! Only if you get stuck.

- I don't think you'll need those chains.

- Look up rally driving techniques on youtube. The main one to try and practice is the clutch kick. I apply a lot of techniques from my pro stock rallye driving days in the winter, regardless of the vehicle I'm in. (Just read that you have an automatic. If you take a tight turn at low speed and your vehicle starts to understeer, take your foot off the gas, do not hit the brakes unless you have to, shift into neutral and coast through the turn...for standard tranny, pushing down on the clutch will have the same effect)

- And finally, you might not get much time to do this but PRACTICE...get to know your vehicle and how it handles, responsibly of course. Have fun and drive safe.

-Clear all snow and ice from your widshield, all windows and lights. I hate those lazy mthrfckrs that don't. You'll see better and will be seen by others.

-Your engine will warm up faster if you turn your temp control knob to cold and the fan to off.

Frank

arrowhead 02-01-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clear lake jeepn (Post 1027212)

It's obvious you haven't been to the Panhandle or South Plains in winter. :)

Driving on ice? Get some chains if you are going to do much of it.

Shifting into neutral when stopping really helps, especially with an auto.

Texas jeremy 02-01-2011 11:04 AM

10 , arrow head, I have chains, and know how to use em. It's not often, but it does happen

kylep 02-01-2011 11:08 AM

winter wheather

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfwislander (Post 1027178)

If ur nervous put in 4wd.drive slow and DON'T RIDE THE BRAKES!!!!

dfwislander 02-01-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowhead (Post 1027431)
It's obvious you haven't been to the Panhandle or South Plains in winter. :)

Driving on ice? Get some chains if you are going to do much of it.

Shifting into neutral when stopping really helps, especially with an auto.

The panhandle is a whole different world from the rest of Texas :)

chp23 02-01-2011 11:36 AM

I have lived in Colorado mtns and NC. Based on my experience, just about anybody can learn to drive in the snow, but nobody can drive on ice. It really depends on the how much freezing rain/sleet etc is on the road.

- Slow down before bridges, don't brake on a bridge.
- If you can see an ice patch, look ahead for the end of the ice patch and wait to brake or turn.
- If you hit black ice like Ptaylor did in SC, hold on, I have no idea what to do.

Darryl_F 02-01-2011 11:53 AM

Hi, new here. Canadian driver in Manitoba. Stop behind the driver in front of you about 2-3 car lengths. This is to insure you have room to move up when you see the driver behind you not stopping well. If will give you the room to avoid the rear end and give that driver time to stop. Very useful when the conditions are bad.

smoke 02-01-2011 07:15 PM

Stupid question here.

I got out in it today for a little bit, im not used to driving in the really deep snow. I shifted it into 4 low and the display on my 2011 wrangler said ESP off,
What is ESP?

does it automatically turn back on when I shift it into 4 high?

Hammerwalk 02-01-2011 07:29 PM

Yeah, today was an interesting day. Wife and I are both from colorado, but I mostly grew up in texas. I would take a foot of snow over an inch of ice. Just go slow and allow plenty of time and watch out for the idiots with trucks in 4wd not realizing that 4wd will help with traction, but doesn't do squat stopping on ice. Since you have an auto, try to down shift the auto as much as you can when coming to a stop. I have a manual. I live in haslet and work downtown. I literally never had to touch the brakes. Nothing sudden. Take it slow. Snow and ice here is a whole differnt ball game!

I did see a couple of plow trucks this afternoon on I35 , they must have borrowed them from Oklahoma or something.

swingtail82 02-01-2011 07:33 PM

we get a lot of ice here in arkansas and 4wd=4 wheel slide unless you have chains.....drive real slow and be EASY with the throttle, avoid cadillacs(1 hit me a few years back), put a blanket in your rig(too late), and like I said drive real slow and be EASY with the throttle

doclouie 02-01-2011 07:39 PM

I am so mad that Utah did not get an inch of this snow. Like some have said take it slow and assume everyone around you will not be able to stop their vehicles because one of them will not be able to. If your vehicle is outside and has a soft top remember to remove the snow when it gets deep or you may find some damage to the soft top frame.

tx_barrett 02-01-2011 07:42 PM

I live in the DFW area as well, and I got around fine all day in 4HI. My best advice is to downshift when slowing down or coming to a stop, let the drivetrain slow you as much as possible then use the brake if needed...

tuff2010 02-01-2011 07:54 PM

I live just West of Ft. Worth and spent the whole day working I-20 in Arlington pulling people up the hill at Green Oaks to keep traffic moving....4hi and I had my ESP off and had zero issues....fun part of the day was when I hooked up to a 18 wheeler and was able to give him just enough bump to get him rolling and kept the snatch strap tight all the way up the hill....bet it looked funny and jeep unlimited pulling a big truck , LOL!!