Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   regear stock d30 carrier (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/regear-stock-d30-carrier-7833.html)

upinar 05-04-2007 06:42 PM

regear stock d30 carrier
 
ive decided to take on the challenge of regearing my car. since i dont have enough money to buy a set of 4.88 for the back and front, im going to put 3.73 in the front to match the new 8.8 that has 3.73. im getting the front 3.73 for free so im going to put them cause ive been missing out on some good rides. this is only temporarly untill i replace all gears in about a couple months. The question is..... with the dana 30 3.73 gears fit in my carrier? i currently have 3.07 gears. i think the carriers are different. any info will help . thanks

1BLKJP 05-04-2007 06:44 PM

Hmmmm, if memory serves me correctly 3.54 is the breakover point for the D30 carrier.

upinar 05-04-2007 08:40 PM

so i need a different carriar to except 3.73 gears and up right?? i think thats correct.

my98tj 05-04-2007 10:26 PM

you are correct sir. the breakover point is 3.55 and above have the same carrier.

Triple88a 05-04-2007 10:31 PM

I'm confused.. the stock front diff is dana 30 right? Now how comes my stock rear diff is 3.73 if the front can only take 3.55?

That means the wranglers are factory made and sold with two different gear ratios? Doesnt that damage the transfer case?

upinar 05-04-2007 11:14 PM

if u have 3.73 gears stock, that means that u have the carriar that can accept 3.73 or higher. that carriar comes stock.

Triple88a 05-04-2007 11:22 PM

Cool ill take a look tomorow see if it says anything in the front tag :-P

AzTJ 05-05-2007 01:12 AM

the diff and carrier are 2 different things, but in the same place. The differential is the part of the axle that splits into the two axle shaft parts, while the carrier is the part that "carries" the gears.

http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/phot...lock_small.jpg

1BLKJP 05-05-2007 01:23 AM

Basically it means that since you are going from 3.07 to 3.73 in your D30 then you need to get the 3.55 and numerically higher carrier.

upinar 05-05-2007 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 79153)
Basically it means that since you are going from 3.07 to 3.73 in your D30 then you need to get the 3.55 and numerically higher carrier.

no........ i will need to get a 3.73 and numerically higher carrier. 3.07 to 3.55 use the same carrier. I just bought a carrier with 3.73 ring installed, and the pinion for 100 bucks, im just gonna wait for it to come in and see how that goes with the installation. Ive been practicing on my d35 i have out back. It doesnt seem to hard. Definetly not a 300 dollar job per axle.

1BLKJP 05-05-2007 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 79159)
no........ i will need to get a 3.73 and numerically higher carrier. 3.07 to 3.55 use the same carrier. I just bought a carrier with 3.73 ring installed, and the pinion for 100 bucks, im just gonna wait for it to come in and see how that goes with the installation. Ive been practicing on my d35 i have out back. It doesnt seem to hard. Definetly not a 300 dollar job per axle.

You are correct. Since D30's come in 3.07, 3.54, 3.73, 4.11, 4.56 and 4.88 I was just saying you would need the carrier for 3.55 and numerically higher.

You should be fine. Just remember to mark your bearing caps in relation to the housing and then re-install them in the exact same way. Also since you are going to be running used gears don't be surprised if they whine a little on you. It's normal with a used setup especially on coast.

Professionals get so much for a gear installation because they have high dollar tools to do the job spot on, because there's a lot of things that can get torn up if the gears are setup wrong, because there's a pretty good amount of time involved in setting up new gears from start to finish.

upinar 05-05-2007 03:02 AM

so marking the bearing caps will take care of ring gear position right? So if i mark that and put the shims to where i get the caps at that marking, then i only have to worry about pinion depth right? To do this, can i just move the yoke when carrier and pinion is bolted in and feel for play. i understand that there should be a little bit of play. So should i do trial and error with the pinion shims untill i get the same amount of play as before i took it apart, as in with the 3.07's installed? can i do that? Thanks for the advice by the way

Jerry Bransford 05-05-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 79163)
so marking the bearing caps will take care of ring gear position right? So if i mark that and put the shims to where i get the caps at that marking, then i only have to worry about pinion depth right? To do this, can i just move the yoke when carrier and pinion is bolted in and feel for play. i understand that there should be a little bit of play. So should i do trial and error with the pinion shims untill i get the same amount of play as before i took it apart, as in with the 3.07's installed? can i do that? Thanks for the advice by the way

Your description of your process scares the crap out of me. You REALLY need to get the procedure for regearing in writing from a manual or you're going to toast your gears in short order. This particular job requres far more precision than you are describing. :eek:

upinar 05-05-2007 06:55 PM

im only going to have these gears in my car for a couple months. I know what you mean, the way i explained it sounds cheapy. I have some experience with jeeps and i wont put it together if everything is not right. I understand it will take trial and error the way im doing it. Im sure it will be fine. It will just take time. gears come in about a week to im trying to absorb all the information i need to do this job.

Scotty355 05-05-2007 08:27 PM

I found this article on a dana 60 rebuild, read thru it and you will see what's involved
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...0_Rebuild.html

I suggest paying someone to set them up this time and will let you watch closely so that maybe in the future you can do it yourself

upinar 05-06-2007 12:00 AM

thanks alot for the write up, very helpfull. Im sure i can do it, I think im at that skill level to preform this procedure. just waiting for the ring and pinion and carriar to come in so i can start. I just cant wait cause its been a very long time since my jeep has seen the mud!

1BLKJP 05-06-2007 01:14 AM

Ah, good deal on the write up. With the front axle it's not quite as imperative that they are setup perfectly, but you can still cause some major damage to your axle if they aren't. Be sure to check your pattern before you put the cover on and fill it. Then after a couple weeks drain the diff and check it again.

upinar 05-06-2007 10:24 AM

does anyone know where i can find that gear compound to check the pattern??

Vector6 05-06-2007 10:44 AM

what kind of "car" are you re-gearing?

Odhinn 05-06-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 79431)
does anyone know where i can find that gear compound to check the pattern??


This is where I get it at.

http://richmond.carshopinc.com/produ...5790/55-0001-1

or here.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...8&autoview=sku

If you can't wait for the shipping, find an axle shop in your area. They should know local stores that carry it.

Jerry Bransford 05-06-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 79431)
does anyone know where i can find that gear compound to check the pattern??

Any gear supplier can provide gear marking compound. NAPA likely has it too, likely many autoparts stores as well.

upinar 05-06-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector6 (Post 79434)
what kind of "car" are you re-gearing?

????

Vector6 05-07-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 79020)
ive decided to take on the challenge of regearing my car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 79299)
im only going to have these gears in my car for a couple months. .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector6 (Post 79434)
what kind of "car" are you re-gearing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 79576)
????






Just messing with ya... about you calling your JEEP a car ..:eek:

;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.