Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   no speedometer (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/no-speedometer-78450.html)

wrangler yj 02-02-2011 10:21 AM

no speedometer

I just replaced the speed sensor in my 92 wrangler along with the end of the wire harness that plugs into it and it still doesn't work. I had the gear out and it looked fine and i'm almost positive its seated right. The problem started out that i would occasionally get speedo then it would stop after a while and now i never get it at all. I don't know what to do next so if anyone has any suggestions i would gretatley appreciate it, thanks.

89JEEPYJ 02-02-2011 02:26 PM

you might have the wrong tooth thing for your truck, put the transmission in neutral. and then push down on the speedo tooth thing. and then spin the transfercase( gotta jack up ur rear pumpkin for wheels off the ground. if the speedo grips correctly and spins it is most likely a wire somewhere else. if you can run a straight wire from the sensor to the gauge and c if it works. if it does you know you have a bad wire somewhere. if it doesnt its most likely the sensor that reads the tooth spinning

Tyewilly 02-02-2011 02:26 PM

When mine did that it turned out to be the printed circuit board behind the speedometer. One of the cooper traces on it had corroded in two. I was lucky enough that it was the power to the speedometer and I ran a jumper wire from the power feed of the tach to the speedo.

wrangler yj 02-06-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyewilly (Post 1029864)
When mine did that it turned out to be the printed circuit board behind the speedometer. One of the cooper traces on it had corroded in two. I was lucky enough that it was the power to the speedometer and I ran a jumper wire from the power feed of the tach to the speedo.

how did you jump it? did you use conductive paint or solder a wire to each side?

NAVYCHIEF 02-06-2011 01:01 PM

before looking at your ckt board, see if you have power to the gear on the xfer case. the three pin plug on the gear should have: 1 pin=9vdc 1 pin=ground and one pin with no reading. the 9vdc comes from the speedo cluster. if all reads out, your cluster circuit is good.

wrangler yj 02-06-2011 01:56 PM

I tested the plug that goes into the cluster and i had no power for the speedo wire so i tested the plug that goes into the speed sensor and i had good power.I replaced the speed sensor about a week ago so that shouldnt be the problem but now i dont know what is.

NAVYCHIEF 02-06-2011 02:45 PM

i had the same problem on my 94. it took me about 10 "reseats" until i got the gear in right. i jacked mine up with all 4 off the ground. the gear can be installed a few teeth off and will not work correctly.

Tyewilly 02-07-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler yj

how did you jump it? did you use conductive paint or solder a wire to each side?

There is a stud and a nut for power, signal, and ground on the back of the speedo and tach. I simply ran a wire from the power stud on the tach to the power stud on the speedo. You can only do this for power or ground though, like I said I was lucky it was the power feed on mine.