Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   New rear brakes shoes for 2001 Wrangler (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/new-rear-brakes-shoes-for-2001-wrangler-78556.html)

Gorving3 02-02-2011 11:23 PM

New rear brakes shoes for 2001 Wrangler

I'm going to need to replace the rear brake shoes on my 2001 Wrangler so started looking for a source. O'Reillys has their brand for about $16 and Wagner for $80. NAPA has one set for $22 and one for $65. Doesn't seem to be anything inbetween. Always hate to buy the cheapest of anything but don't see the need to buy the most expensive either. May not have a choice here though, anyone have any suggestions?
I've replaced the front pads twice in the 59,000 miles so far and this will be the first rear ones. Always use Wagner pads but maybe for the rears the best isn't necessary.

Gorving3 02-04-2011 02:55 PM

Reading the Rockauto web site I noticed they have riveted lining (which I didn't think even existed since back in the 50's & 60's before bonded became popular) and bonded lining on their rear Jeep shoes.

Other than losing the use of a fraction of the lining due to the rivets, and if the lining is worn down to the rivets they will definitely leave groves in the drums even before the lining is gone, does anyone see any advantage of one way of attaching the lining to the shoes over the other?

jasonwrangler 02-04-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorving3 (Post 1033982)
Reading the Rockauto web site I noticed they have riveted lining (which I didn't think even existed since back in the 50's & 60's before bonded became popular) and bonded lining on their rear Jeep shoes.

Other than losing the use of a fraction of the lining due to the rivets, and if the lining is worn down to the rivets they will definitely leave groves in the drums even before the lining is gone, does anyone see any advantage of one way of attaching the lining to the shoes over the other?

I doubt it will wear down to the rivets. my rear drums had riveted shoes when I took the old ones off and they barely down to the rivets.

Gary2 02-04-2011 06:37 PM

wont really matter as the rears don't do much on our TJs . Biggest problem is keeping the self adjusters working correctly. Get EBC Yellow or Black magic on the front and you will see an improvement

doclouie 02-04-2011 06:59 PM

I heard from Mr. Blaine and the black magic pads should be in stock next week. I will keep you posted.

Gorving3 02-09-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonwrangler (Post 1034021)
I doubt it will wear down to the rivets. my rear drums had riveted shoes when I took the old ones off and they barely down to the rivets.

Did you replace the rears that same time as the fronts? If so, that would be the reason the rears weren't down to the rivets. I'm on my second set of front pads in 59,000 miles before needing the rears replaced, and the rears are down low enough the drums would have been polishing the rivets had they been there. Front pads are a walk in the park but I'm afraid the rears are going to be a nightmare. Most Chrysler mechanicals have a tendency to be that way.