Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Carpet replacement? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/carpet-replacement-787.html)

jeeprasr 12-17-2005 07:57 PM

Carpet replacement?
 
Hello all. I'm ready to trash the original carpet in my 95 YJ and was looking for suggestions on what I should use as a floor liner. Do people suggest new carpet or something different like a spray liner? I'm leaning towards the spray because it's easier to keep clean but I've heard it can result in lots of messy wires in view. Thoughts???

1BLKJP 12-18-2005 12:58 AM

Yeah, spray/brush/roll in liners bet the most press. It's a excellent way to permanently rust proof your entire tub from the inside out. However there are other methods. Check out www.4wd.com for your year and notice some of the piece in vinyl liners and such. They look pretty tough, just haven't seen them up close.

Tacoma 12-19-2005 10:36 AM

FWIW, I bought a 95 yj 6 years ago that had been wrecked. It came with no carpets at all. I found a 1 piece front mat set (that went over the hump), added a set of custom rear floor and cargo area matts cut from a discounted PU bed liner matt. All rubber. Worked great and was easy to clean. It was a little noiser than carpet at highway speeds though. If the carpets ever go south in my latest 92' yj, I'd go that route again.

racer-xerols 12-20-2005 03:29 PM

I'm getting mine Line-X'd. Local guy here says bring it to him with nothing other than the drivers seat in it, and he'll do the whole interior tub (floors, rockers, trunk, and I'm going to have him overlap the exterior to do "entry guards" also) for $650 for me. Same as the truckbeds, 1/4" thick minimum, and I'm going to pre-run all my stereo wires along the doorsills to keep them out of sight. That way when he sprays he'll seal them all in place, leaving just the tails coming out at my amp and speaker locations.

matt22 01-14-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer-xerols
I'm getting mine Line-X'd. Local guy here says bring it to him with nothing other than the drivers seat in it, and he'll do the whole interior tub (floors, rockers, trunk, and I'm going to have him overlap the exterior to do "entry guards" also) for $650 for me. Same as the truckbeds, 1/4" thick minimum, and I'm going to pre-run all my stereo wires along the doorsills to keep them out of sight. That way when he sprays he'll seal them all in place, leaving just the tails coming out at my amp and speaker locations.

good idea, what guage/quality wires are you gonna use.
Matt

TJGreg 01-16-2006 08:46 PM

650 is a pretty good quote, especially without prepping the tub. I got quoted 800 even If i did the prep.

I'm gonna go for herculiner or duraliner this spring when I can do it when the weather is more forgiving. It goes for a little over 100 bucks for the kit (gallon of material and rollers and brushes) and is a solid weekend project.

some people say it does not resist heat as well, though many other disagree. Personally i think being able to hose out the interior is awesome though.

04moneypit 01-17-2006 05:57 PM

There may be an even better way to go about, I was looking on ebay the other day for spray in bedliners, and there is a company that sells a kit with a spray gun the standard or heavy duty (granulated rubber) liner goop for pretty cheap, and you can get it in any color just about. That's what I'm probably gonna do since I already have a compressor. This way you could spray it to the thickness you want, put it where you want it and not have to pay for somebody to do it.;)

daddyjeep 01-17-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04moneypit
There may be an even better way to go about, I was looking on ebay the other day for spray in bedliners, and there is a company that sells a kit with a spray gun the standard or heavy duty (granulated rubber) liner goop for pretty cheap, and you can get it in any color just about. That's what I'm probably gonna do since I already have a compressor. This way you could spray it to the thickness you want, put it where you want it and not have to pay for somebody to do it.;)



Well....don't leave us hanging. Do you have a link to this company? I have been leaning towards the Herculiner myself, but a do it yourself spray in kit just might be the way to go.

04moneypit 01-18-2006 05:44 AM

Don't have one right now, but I'll look it up after work and post what I find.

Felsengleiskette 01-18-2006 04:14 PM

I like my herculined tub... But when it gets wet, the herc. turns a wierd milky color. this goes away when its dry but dont know if there is long term problems...I was thinking about doing the bottom 8-to 10 inches of the OUTSIDE w/ something of this nature. to protect rust at corners and whatever. then put on some side rail gaurds over that. (this will also inhibit drill holes from rusting where the side rails mount) also help against trail branches and the like. But inside it is kool! I also installed some boat plugs in the floor pans so I can let all the water out.

04moneypit 01-18-2006 04:21 PM

Ok Guys, here it is. If you go on ebay the company name is trkspecialist and to get to it just type in: spray in bedliner , This will get you where you need to be. The kit comes with a spray gun and about 1 3/4 gallons of material. small kit (specifically says to do a jeep tub) has a buy it now price of $85 plus $20 shipping. Color will be more. Hope this info helps.

Felsengleiskette 01-18-2006 04:32 PM

kool thanks for the info...maybe i'll use that stuff on the outside

daddyjeep 01-19-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felsengleiskette
I like my herculined tub... But when it gets wet, the herc. turns a wierd milky color. this goes away when its dry but dont know if there is long term problems...I was thinking about doing the bottom 8-to 10 inches of the OUTSIDE w/ something of this nature. to protect rust at corners and whatever. then put on some side rail gaurds over that. (this will also inhibit drill holes from rusting where the side rails mount) also help against trail branches and the like. But inside it is kool! I also installed some boat plugs in the floor pans so I can let all the water out.

Thanks, two good ideas. The boat plugs...cool. And I like the Idea of using the Herculiner under the Rocker Guards. My Rocker Guards cover up the existing rust so I am concerned that it will eventually rot out underneath. This will help.

daddyjeep 01-19-2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04moneypit
Ok Guys, here it is. If you go on ebay the company name is trkspecialist and to get to it just type in: spray in bedliner , This will get you where you need to be. The kit comes with a spray gun and about 1 3/4 gallons of material. small kit (specifically says to do a jeep tub) has a buy it now price of $85 plus $20 shipping. Color will be more. Hope this info helps.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

Felsengleiskette 01-27-2006 09:21 AM

hey daddy jeep where did you find the two inch shackle lifts to go with my 4" lift? is there much lateral travel in tyhe shackles when they are lifted two inches? i found inch and a quarter but looking for 2"

daddyjeep 02-08-2006 08:01 PM

Warrior Products. I can't remember where I bought them, but you should be able to search for their site. Remember, 2" lift shackles will net you 1" of lift, they are 2" longer than the stock shackles and only lift one end of the spring. The are very beefy, welded instead of bolted together and I have no concern of them flexing or breaking.

3jeepguy 02-08-2006 10:24 PM

i run 1.25 lift shackles they are 2.5 inches longer that stock i have them in the front and the back coupled with a 4 inch bds i have no adverse handling issues


http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...fendercut1.jpg

matt22 02-09-2006 08:24 AM

do you guys jsut line your tubs with it, do you ever put carpet on top of the liner? can somebody post pics of how far up theres is sprayed. how far under the dash as well. thanks Matt

hardy1531 02-11-2006 10:22 PM

I plan on line-x ing the tub of my 03 TJ. then i will replace the front carpet over top of it. My friend had a YJ with the liner in it and the floor board got hott all the time(here in the south) plus I want to keep hwy noise to a min. just my 2 cents


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.