Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   UConnect In the 2011 Wrangler (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/uconnect-in-the-2011-wrangler-78942.html)

vismich 02-05-2011 05:29 PM

UConnect In the 2011 Wrangler

Hi all,

I purchased the 2011 Jeep last week, and while I love it the new UConnect system isnt working properly for me.

The stereo on my Jeep has a few ways to listen to an Ipod,. Iphone or music.

First option is to plug the Iphone into a USB port in the console. When I plug in my Iphone 4 it says there is an error.

Second option is to stream it through Blue Tooth,. When I do that it's choppy and unlistenable

Another option is to load up the hard drive through a USB port on the dash. When I plug in a USB Flash Drive it doesnt recognize it. Do I need a certain kind?

I read a lot about this Iphone, Ipod problem and it;s pretty disappointing since it;s a feature that is SPECIFIC for the Ipod and Iphone according to the manual.... Has anyone figured out a way to get this to work? Can / Will Apple or Jeep update the system?

RB-10rubicon 02-05-2011 05:58 PM

Itunes format will not work it has to be mp3 or wma format

jeffk42 02-05-2011 06:58 PM

BT streaming seems to work better if your screen is locked, for some reason. It's a bug that Apple needs to fix.

I haven't used the iPhone with USB but the iPod works fine for me, other than some static that pops up intermittently for no discernible reason.

FlyinJeeps 02-05-2011 09:36 PM

The iphone 4 is not compatible with UConnect for audio...

https://www.jeep.com/hostb/crossbran...port_Rev_B.pdf

vismich 02-06-2011 06:39 AM

Why would you think it would be Apple that needs to fix this problem?

To me, as technology progresses, the company that is making the radio needs to keep up. Apple could care less if people can use there phone on a Jeep...It's not Apple that claims they work...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk42 (Post 1036058)
BT streaming seems to work better if your screen is locked, for some reason. It's a bug that Apple needs to fix.

I haven't used the iPhone with USB but the iPod works fine for me, other than some static that pops up intermittently for no discernible reason.

Benjy 02-06-2011 08:22 AM

My memory stick with mp3s plays fine. The proprietary apple system has always caused me headaches when helping out friends with tech issues. This sounds all too familiar.

spoonie 02-06-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vismich (Post 1036875)
Why would you think it would be Apple that needs to fix this problem?

To me, as technology progresses, the company that is making the radio needs to keep up. Apple could care less if people can use there phone on a Jeep...It's not Apple that claims they work...

because apple is notoriously a PITA when it comes to compatibility. they don't follow industry standards. IMO it will come back to bite them eventually (particularly as android gains market share), but that's a different discussion for a different topic ;)

FlyinJeeps 02-06-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonie (Post 1037138)
because apple is notoriously a PITA when it comes to compatibility. they don't follow industry standards. IMO it will come back to bite them eventually (particularly as android gains market share), but that's a different discussion for a different topic ;)

Although I agree 100% with what your saying, in this case it does seem to be Uconnects (Jeeps) fault..

vismich 02-06-2011 03:35 PM

Probably a bigger conversation, but I agree, this is a Jeep and UConnect problem. Apple, Blackberrry,etc... Are always going to create more innovative technology. It's not thief responsibility to make sure that it works with every product that advertises it's comparability....

At the end of the day, the entire Jeep web site and manual uses the IPod and IPhone trademark to sell this feature and the truth is that it doesn't work. How is that Apples's fault?

This is also a problem with all of the Grand Cherokees by the way.

pat@fieldsauto.com 02-07-2011 12:13 AM

No not all of the Grand Cherokees. I know plenty that work with iphone 4 either streaming or plugged in to remote USB.

Benjy 02-07-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vismich (Post 1037724)
At the end of the day, the entire Jeep web site and manual uses the IPod and IPhone trademark to sell this feature and the truth is that it doesn't work. How is that Apples's fault?

I couldn't find iphone mentioned on the Jeep website under uconnect, but I don't agree that they should mention uconnect gives you the ability to connect your ipod (via a headphone type port). I always believed uconnect was the bluetooth/speakerphone and the radio/nav/multimedia center was different. Maybe since uconnect turns down the stereo during a phone call, they say it's all one system.

Jeep - 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Interior - Uconnect
The revolutionary Uconnect™ System helps you navigate, stay in touch, or find the perfect song for the moment, quickly and easily. With GPS, satellite radio, hands-free calling, wireless web access from Mopar®, and a port for your iPod®, you‘ll be able to do everything you do at home while you‘re on the road, or on the side of a mountain.

Audio input jack
Your commute and your audio library are a good couple. Grab an adapter and plug your iPod® (or similar MP3 device) into the 3.5-mm auxiliary jack.

My vote is not against Jeep on this one as mp3s and wma files will play from a usb stick and the apple files usually won't as you need the ipod/iphone to decode apple's proprietary file format.

I can't imagine that a vehicle manufacturer would build a vehicle meant to last longer than the average phone lifespan and could possibly foresee the technological innovations the phone manufacturers will come up with. I'd suggest just plugging the iphone into the audio jack and controlling the sound via the iphone.

DanTheMan 02-28-2011 08:54 PM

For what it's worth I managed to find complete happiness with my 2011 Wrangler Radio with UConnect (RES non navigation) and my iPhone3Gs. I know the OP has iPhone4 so this may not be of any help, but somebody may find this useful to know.

UConnect Bluetooth Interface
Bluetooth streaming audio doesn't work properly unless the iPhone screen is off and that has been discussed. I will chime in and say that I think the streaming audio quality is poor even if you do get it to play properly

Using the UConnect Bluetooth interface for just the phone features and voice command does work well and it does have good audio quality. Once iPhone connects to UConnect Blutooth, the Phone and Streaming Audio switch over to Bluetooth mode and that's a problem.

UConnect USB Interface
I found that my iPhone3Gs with iOS 4.2.1 would not connect to the UConnect usb interface with any form of reliability. Connecting and disconnecting it over and over would finally allow my radio to read it and function, but it was hit or miss at best. It was totally unacceptable.

So I downgraded my iPhone3GS back to iOS 4.0.1 and it works perfectly with the usb dock interface. The small catch is, like I said above, once iPhone connects to UConnect Bluetooth, it doesn't care that you have it connected to UConnect USB, and that's a problem because iPhone will stop playing any Audio after about 15 seconds from finishing the Bluetooth connection. But the quick fix for that is to open the iPod App and tap the bottom of the screen where it says UConnect and switch it back to Dock Connector. Skip to another song if the audio doesn't turn back on and all is well. It sounds like a hassle but it really takes just a few seconds. Having all of the Voice command power for the hands free phone features, plus Voice command control for Audio Playback over the high quality USB connection, was worth the hassle of finding a fix. Ok, it was major hassle.

From what I was able to test and prove, this appears to be an Apple issue. I could reproduce the UConnect USB Error Reading problem with iOS 4.2.1 and have success with 4.0.1. So 4.0.1 is the winner in this case. Hopefully Apple can accept that this USB connection issue is fixable within their iOS.

jeepnpete 02-28-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat@FieldsJeep (Post 1038974)
No not all of the Grand Cherokees. I know plenty that work with iphone 4 either streaming or plugged in to remote USB.

True! My wifes new 2011 overland works with iPhone 4.0 flawlessly! My 2011 wrangler... not so much

mchh11 02-28-2011 09:43 PM

2011 Sahara uconnect will not sink with itouch ipod was told it would, my 2010 Buick lacrosse has no problem and it is a wonderful thing. Does anybody no if another ipod would work or mp3 player.The dealer has no clue and said it was a software problem with Apple, Chrysler better get another radio manufacturer, other car manufacturers are well ahead in this voice command UBS connection features, I should have ordered the Jeep with out a radio if I new of this problem. thanks mchh11

wsettle 02-28-2011 11:50 PM

I have a 2011 and it works great with my 3gs and iphone 4 via bluetooth or USB. Sure, it does stutter like others have said when the screen is on but once I turn it off it works great so no big deal. Once it's connected and i start my favorite app (ipod, Pandora or iheart radio) , I can control it from the steering wheel.

Also, from a blue tooth stand point, Apple and Jeep do follow the standard. I was surprised at how many of the Bluetooth APIs they used. The media center even downloaded my iphone phone book via blouetooth.

FlyinJeeps 03-01-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat@FieldsJeep (Post 1038974)

Hey Pat, quick question for ya, how does the software updates work for the stock stereo's? Is it best just to check online and update it myself or will they update all the software during services?

Thanks

snax 03-01-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsettle (Post 1089350)
I have a 2011 and it works great with my 3gs and iphone 4 via bluetooth or USB. Sure, it does stutter like others have said when the screen is on but once I turn it off it works great so no big deal. Once it's connected and i start my favorite app (ipod, Pandora or iheart radio) , I can control it from the steering wheel.

Also, from a blue tooth stand point, Apple and Jeep do follow the standard. I was surprised at how many of the Bluetooth APIs they used. The media center even downloaded my iphone phone book via blouetooth.

wsettle, Can you explain how you downloaded the phonebook from your iphone 4 via Bluetooth? I thought the Iphone could not send bluetooth files like this. I would love to figure this out.

Thanks!

wsettle 03-01-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snax (Post 1090856)
wsettle, Can you explain how you downloaded the phonebook from your iphone 4 via Bluetooth? I thought the Iphone could not send bluetooth files like this. I would love to figure this out.

Thanks!

Once your iphone is paired, press the Phone button and it will say "ready". Then you say "phonebook" and it will say the options. One of them is "download".

Or after the ready prompt, just say "phonebook download"

gregh 03-02-2011 03:40 PM

All of a sudden my USB stopped working. I plugged my ipod into the USB in the center armrest compartment. It charges the ipod, but when I switch the radio over - it does not recognize it being plugged in and wont play music. Anyone else having this problem?

Greg

snax 03-02-2011 04:08 PM

yes. Mine used to play from my iphone 4. Now it does not. Gives me an error when I connect it.

Trunz150 03-02-2011 04:52 PM

you dont have to download the phoenbook just say the name and it calls that person, i never downloaded anything and it works great

blueshirts 03-02-2011 05:33 PM

Tune4Mac-Provides best mac m4p to mp3 converter, iTunes video converter, m4v converter for Mac OS X

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjy (Post 1036937)
My memory stick with mp3s plays fine. The proprietary apple system has always caused me headaches when helping out friends with tech issues. This sounds all too familiar.

pezjason 03-04-2011 01:08 AM

you guys need to update your Uconnect. Go to this website and follow the directions:
http://mofv.com/MyGIG/

Trunz150 03-04-2011 07:25 AM

how do you get that in your jeep to update the nav media center?

wsettle 03-11-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunz150 (Post 1092630)
you dont have to download the phoenbook just say the name and it calls that person, i never downloaded anything and it works great

If I've never called a contact from my U-connect before, you are correct in that the u-connect will download the one entry required.

However, if I update a contact in my iPhone, the U-connect won't get updated automatically so I have to explicitly download the phone book to update u-connect. YMMV.

brettpa 03-14-2011 08:43 AM

Having the same type problems with my 2011 Cherokee. The Bluetooth option does work but can be annoying but cannot connect via the usb. I get a charge but it does not recognize that a device is connect so files cannot be transfered and music cannot be streamed

On a side note does anyone know where to purchase the little flip up where the usb connects. Mine popped off and disappeared. Would like to at lease replace it since apparently the slot is useless right now

tha sista 03-18-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMan (Post 1088921)
For what it's worth I managed to find complete happiness with my 2011 Wrangler Radio with UConnect (RES non navigation) and my iPhone3Gs. I know the OP has iPhone4 so this may not be of any help, but somebody may find this useful to know.

UConnect Bluetooth Interface
Bluetooth streaming audio doesn't work properly unless the iPhone screen is off and that has been discussed. I will chime in and say that I think the streaming audio quality is poor even if you do get it to play properly

Using the UConnect Bluetooth interface for just the phone features and voice command does work well and it does have good audio quality. Once iPhone connects to UConnect Blutooth, the Phone and Streaming Audio switch over to Bluetooth mode and that's a problem.

UConnect USB Interface
I found that my iPhone3Gs with iOS 4.2.1 would not connect to the UConnect usb interface with any form of reliability. Connecting and disconnecting it over and over would finally allow my radio to read it and function, but it was hit or miss at best. It was totally unacceptable.

So I downgraded my iPhone3GS back to iOS 4.0.1 and it works perfectly with the usb dock interface. The small catch is, like I said above, once iPhone connects to UConnect Bluetooth, it doesn't care that you have it connected to UConnect USB, and that's a problem because iPhone will stop playing any Audio after about 15 seconds from finishing the Bluetooth connection. But the quick fix for that is to open the iPod App and tap the bottom of the screen where it says UConnect and switch it back to Dock Connector. Skip to another song if the audio doesn't turn back on and all is well. It sounds like a hassle but it really takes just a few seconds. Having all of the Voice command power for the hands free phone features, plus Voice command control for Audio Playback over the high quality USB connection, was worth the hassle of finding a fix. Ok, it was major hassle.

From what I was able to test and prove, this appears to be an Apple issue. I could reproduce the UConnect USB Error Reading problem with iOS 4.2.1 and have success with 4.0.1. So 4.0.1 is the winner in this case. Hopefully Apple can accept that this USB connection issue is fixable within their iOS.

Real basic question here, how does one downgrade your iphone software to 4.0.1? Thanks in advance...

mchh11 03-26-2011 05:47 PM

Still have not gotten a answer to what ipod will work with my 2011 wrangler my itouch will not work! If you have a new 2011 wrangler and your ipod is working with your ubs cord PLEASE let me know what ipod you are using I love my own play lists. thanks mike

tha sista 03-26-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchh11 (Post 1139778)
Still have not gotten a answer to what ipod will work with my 2011 wrangler my itouch will not work! If you have a new 2011 wrangler and your ipod is working with your ubs cord PLEASE let me know what ipod you are using I love my own play lists. thanks mike

Mike, I have a regular iPod connected and it works with no problems. 32 gig I think. I can select my playlists and scroll through with my steering controls or radio controls...iPhone doesn't however...

Kssting 03-26-2011 08:48 PM

I couldn't get my 32 gig touch to work either until I upgraded the software version to 4.3. Now it works great.