Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Connecting CB radio to battery (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/connecting-cb-radio-to-battery-79175.html)

MikalCarbine 02-07-2011 11:03 AM

Connecting CB radio to battery
 
Currently in the process of wiring up my CB radio. I'd like to connect it directly to the battery to avoid noise issues, my problem is what connector to use to terminate onto the battery? My battery only has 2 posts which are taken up from the main cables. How do you guys do this? I was thinking of eye connectors but couldn't find any big enough. Can anyone recommend a good junction or fuse box?

Vroooom 02-07-2011 11:15 AM

Radio Shack:
Wheatsone Bridge will filter electical bussing sound.
Tell 'em what you got...they'll tell you what you need. Should be under $10.
If you wire into an accessory circuit you wont have to worry about accidentally letting your CB drain your battery.

Ageless Stranger 02-07-2011 11:20 AM

There shold be two extra wires in the loom behind your glovebox. One is key switch controlled and one is hot all the time. (Mine were labeled.)I used the latter to wire my CB so I can have it on when the key is off. :cool:

Rubicon2 02-07-2011 03:07 PM

Well your battery cables have bolts that help to close the clamps on the battery, you use eye connectors on the bolts not over the batter terminals. Just take the nut off the bolt or back the bolt out, put the eye connector over the bolt and tighten it back up on the battery.

wasurfer86 02-07-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon2 (Post 1040146)
Well your battery cables have bolts that help to close the clamps on the battery, you use eye connectors on the bolts not over the batter terminals. Just take the nut off the bolt or back the bolt out, put the eye connector over the bolt and tighten it back up on the battery.

previous owner did that on mine and ended up ruining the eyes. just pick up two extra nuts to put on after the eye.

MikalCarbine 02-07-2011 05:04 PM

I did some searching and have seen lugs that connect to the battery and have poles for accessories, although expensive. I may go this way because I need to mount my winch this or next week also

Rubicon2 02-07-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikalCarbine
I did some searching and have seen lugs that connect to the battery and have poles for accessories, although expensive. I may go this way because I need to mount my winch this or next week also

Yeah I have been looking at those as well but I figure that for the price they want me to pay I can make my own for cheaper.

WVRUBI 02-07-2011 06:47 PM

If you pop the top on your fuse box (under the hood) you will find that the hot wire from the battery jumps straight to a post in the box with a much small stud you can connect to. This will not create any noise issues.

tjike 02-07-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikalCarbine (Post 1039744)
Currently in the process of wiring up my CB radio. I'd like to connect it directly to the battery to avoid noise issues, my problem is what connector to use to terminate onto the battery? My battery only has 2 posts which are taken up from the main cables. How do you guys do this? I was thinking of eye connectors but couldn't find any big enough. Can anyone recommend a good junction or fuse box?

I am currently doing the same thing but i am using this link for the set up i will let you know how it works in a couple of days when i finish. CB Wiring Basics

s3nt3nc3d 02-07-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVRUBI (Post 1040509)
If you pop the top on your fuse box (under the hood) you will find that the hot wire from the battery jumps straight to a post in the box with a much small stud you can connect to. This will not create any noise issues.

This right here is how I wire my smaller accessories up^^^

Jerry Bransford 02-07-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVRUBI (Post 1040509)
If you pop the top on your fuse box (under the hood) you will find that the hot wire from the battery jumps straight to a post in the box with a much small stud you can connect to. This will not create any noise issues.

That's a very good place to get power from, that particular box is actually called the Power Distribution Center (PDC). It sits right in front of the battery and that stud is on the battery side of the box. That stud is connected directly to the battery only a few inches away so it's a good source for clean noise-free battery power. :)

sparky 02-08-2011 09:33 AM

I'll add another vote to using that stud in the fuse box.

Best practice is to place the inline fuse within inches of the conection. Definitely before passing through the firewall.

MikalCarbine 02-08-2011 09:48 AM

Going to upgrade my lugs and cables to NAPA military spec. Found these part numbers online for pos and neg

728222

728223

Why does the fuse need to be so close to the battery? My Uniden came pre-inline fused about 3 inches from the radio. Realistically aren't we talking nano or microseconds of difference?

Also, does anyone have info on how to set up a relay so the radio can only be turned on when the key is on ac/on? Debating if I want to do this

Kykid 02-08-2011 09:54 AM

I'm wired directly to my in cab fusebox and don't have any noise issues, quiet as can be.

hambubba 02-08-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikalCarbine (Post 1041736)
Why does the fuse need to be so close to the battery? My Uniden came pre-inline fused about 3 inches from the radio. Realistically aren't we talking nano or microseconds of difference?

Where do you want the fire to start? Inside the firewall or inside the Jeep? If, in case the wires get shorted, there is NO protection past the fuse. I don't know why the factory harnesses mount their fuses by the radio other than protection of the radio ONLY. They aren't concerned about wiring safety in the cars, apparently.

MikalCarbine 02-08-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hambubba

Where do you want the fire to start? Inside the firewall or inside the Jeep? If, in case the wires get shorted, there is NO protection past the fuse. I don't know why the factory harnesses mount their fuses by the radio other than protection of the radio ONLY. They aren't concerned about wiring safety in the cars, apparently.

Ooooh very good point! No harm in double fusing if I add an inline by the battery also?

Rubicon2 02-08-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikalCarbine (Post 1041826)
Ooooh very good point! No harm in double fusing if I add an inline by the battery also?

That's what I did. I added another inline fuse right next to my battery connection.

MikalCarbine 02-08-2011 04:00 PM

I picked up some supplies today. My plan is to cut up the existing CB wire right where the Uniden-supplied inline fuse is. Here I will be adding a quick disconnect if I ever need to yank the CB. On the battery side I'll be adding an inline 2A fuse as close as I can. Now I just need to find some information on how to make new battery cables..

sparky 02-08-2011 04:20 PM

Double fusing is fine.

Not all vehicles are like Wranglers with a large rubber covered hole through the firewall, where you can raoute wires neatly. If you put a wire through an unprotected drilled hole there is a chance of rubbing and insulation failure. With the fuse outside all you get is a popped fuse, with the fuse inside you get a burning wire.

Kykid 02-13-2011 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally a picture of my setup and where my power runs to.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.