Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

popping out of 1st gear

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  vismich 
#1 ·
My 2010 Unlimited pops out of 1st gear regularly and sometimes out of 5th gear. The dealer says they will check the shift boot (inner?) and adjust it if necessary. Never had a problem like this with my 04 Wrangler. Dealer also says it's not widespread and no recalls. I'm thinking bad synchros.
Anybody have similar issues?

#5 ·
Felt kind of bad sending the OP to that long of a thread, but that seems to be the center of knowledge on the issue here. I think there's a few other threads too, that's the current one though.

It's either "great minds" that think alike or "guys who spend way too much time on this forum" . . . can't decide which . . . . :D

#8 ·
The mopar manual must be junk as many on here say they have jumping out of gear problems. Mostly fifth gear problem I hear. Make them fix the junk SOB or buy it back under the limon law. I wouldn't have a grind box anyway, really didn't want a old 4 speed auto either but I ordered the lesser of 2 evils and will be getting a super 4 speed auto without a cooler. If I burn it up it will be while under warranty so who cares. Maybe the 12 with the super high powered pentastar will have a 8 speed auto with a cooler and they can sheit can the manuals for good like ford as done. A 6 ot 8 speed auto would be sweet!

#9 · (Edited)
My manual works fantastic, as do the vast majority of them. However, every single one of the automatics will overheat without an axillary cooler. They won't burn any more due to the "limp" mode.

#12 ·
I had the EXACT same problem almost from day one on My 2008 Wrangler "X". I took it to the shop and they couldnt get it to do it, but they documented the problem.

A year or two later it started doing it a few times a day. It would pop out of first gear so violently it would feel like I was rear-ended. I always worried it would happen in an intersection and I would get hit.

Anyway, I took it to the dealer, who was able to replicate it. They had to replace the entire transmission. The way it was explained to me (and I know nothing about mechanics of a car), is that they teeth of the gears werent lined up properly, so it would spit the stick out sometime.

They replaced it for free, I think because it was documented the first time. If it's warranty, take it in ASAP. If it's not, I would make a case that this is a known problem and should be fixed.

Personally, I read so many people having the problem that I think they should consider a recall. It;s really dangerous, and eventually will kill someone trying to speed through an intersection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.