Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   advice on soft tops (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/advice-on-soft-tops-79464.html)

rrutland78 02-08-2011 10:47 PM

advice on soft tops

i just bought my first wrangler unlimited in december. i bought it with a hard top so i could attach my rack for hauling kayaks around. but i want to get a soft top to use during the summer. i've searched online and found different manufacturers with drastically different prices on what seem to be the same product. i see some that say soft top replacement so i'm assuming that is the covering only and i would still need the hardware.

in short, i'm simply looking to go from the hard top to the basic soft top to roll down on nice days.

any advice on vendors, technical or hardware aspects, or other things to be aware of?

thanks!

daggo66 02-09-2011 12:34 AM

My advice would be to look for someone selling their soft top. Often people buy both and want to sell one or the other.

InfernoGirl 02-09-2011 07:32 AM

What Tom said...

You'll need all the hardware, plus the top and windows. Bestop or Mopar will have the best quality. Keep in mind you get what you pay for.... There are lots to choose from, just be informed before you choose.

spm488 02-09-2011 07:54 AM

I am basically in the same boat with you rrut, but I think I narrowed it down to the Trektop NX (from Bestop) that is due out for our models in the spring (although 4wd.com is offering it now). It doesn't use the traditional hardware of the softtops and has a different look but it gives you a "bikini" top style option when you remove the rear windows. It is also a bit more affordable as well.

My only question to someone would be why I have found people post that it is a pain to put up and down (the Trektop)? They seem to post that but really do not clearly explain why. If anyone can help with this, I would appreciate it (sorry, I hope you do not think I am hi-jacking your post, but it seemed that these questions meshed well together!)

daggo66 02-09-2011 07:59 AM

The traditional soft tops fold down with the frame. They are easy to stow and with a boot you can maintain what little storage there is in a 2 door. The frameless type tops come completely off. The old CJ tops used to come completely off as well. It was always a pain in the butt to fold it up in order to bring it along so I always ended up leaving it in the garage draped over a couple of saw horses.

tysalem 02-09-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spm488 (Post 1043951)
I am basically in the same boat with you rrut, but I think I narrowed it down to the Trektop NX (from Bestop) that is due out for our models in the spring (although 4wd.com is offering it now).

4wd.com does say that they have it online, however, when I called them, they said they weren't getting them in till march or april.

MajorTom 02-12-2011 11:18 PM

As mentioned in a post further down, I bought a 2011 Sahara with Dual Tops ... I had the dealership remove the soft top and I have it and will probably not use it ... If interested and you are close to Indiana maybe we can work something out as I would like to sell it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrutland78 (Post 1043550)
i just bought my first wrangler unlimited in december. i bought it with a hard top so i could attach my rack for hauling kayaks around. but i want to get a soft top to use during the summer. i've searched online and found different manufacturers with drastically different prices on what seem to be the same product. i see some that say soft top replacement so i'm assuming that is the covering only and i would still need the hardware.

in short, i'm simply looking to go from the hard top to the basic soft top to roll down on nice days.

any advice on vendors, technical or hardware aspects, or other things to be aware of?

thanks!