Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Brake light trouble (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/brake-light-trouble-79596.html)

kirkland14 02-09-2011 08:10 PM

Brake light trouble

My brake lights seem to be giving me a bit of a fit. I noticed they were out so I checked the bulbs and that wasn't it so I put a new brake light switch in and then they started working again. Then I noticed the drive side rear wasn't getting both filaments lit when the brakes were applied but it did come on slightly, but not nearly as bright as the right. Now it seems like my brake lights are out again. I have a multimeter but don't really know how to use it to track down the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

It's a 94 YJ

I also checked the fuse and the hazards work.signals work. just no brakes

89JEEPYJ 02-09-2011 09:04 PM

u got a bad ground where the light connects to the body. a lot of them have this problem. make sure all the bolts are tight and if that doesnt work just say screw them and buy the LED lights from pep boys

kirkland14 02-09-2011 09:24 PM

that's kinda what I was figuring as well. So that's how they ground? by where the screws go into the tub right? This has been annoying me for about a week now. Thanks

91SaharaYJ 02-09-2011 09:54 PM

thats what was wrtong with mine when i got it, i just took some sand paper to where the bolts contact the light housing and then loaded it up with dialetric grease (so it wont rust and will keep connection)

kirkland14 02-09-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91SaharaYJ (Post 1045743)
thats what was wrtong with mine when i got it, i just took some sand paper to where the bolts contact the light housing and then loaded it up with dialetric grease (so it wont rust and will keep connection)

Thanks. I guess I can find this grease at the local Kragen/oreilly's/autozone?

91SaharaYJ 02-09-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkland14 (Post 1045766)
Thanks. I guess I can find this grease at the local Kragen/oreilly's/autozone?

yep its everywhere, and good to have to use on random plugs and wires that get a bad connection or are exposed to water

kirkland14 02-09-2011 10:41 PM

Great. I'll give that a shot and maybe even a ground from the battery post for some added insurance. Thanks

91SaharaYJ 02-09-2011 10:48 PM

no prob, you should be fine with just the grease/sanding...make sure the bulbs are new also, check the front turn signal and marker lights they sometimes effect how the brake lights work

kirkland14 02-09-2011 11:54 PM

actually the front left socket is out and it's the next thing on my list. I had brought this point up to some other people before but they all said that probably wasn't it and that it was the grounding.

91SaharaYJ 02-10-2011 12:09 AM

it most likely is just the ground but sometimes when front bulbs are out people develop problems with the tail lights, it takes 5 mins to fix and is good security to clean the grounds cause you will just have to do it eventually so why not now lol