Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   '95 YJ Hard shifting into 2nd only??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/95-yj-hard-shifting-into-2nd-only-7966.html)

DaveC 05-11-2007 10:41 AM

'95 YJ Hard shifting into 2nd only???

Recently had all my fluids changed with included the trans, transfer case, etc. The shifting has always been a bit notchy on my '95 YJ Sahara which now has 50k mi on it. But with the fluid change, when I start off with a cold motor, I often need to rev the engine to get it to slip into 2nd. It won't slip in at all if I don't! After it warms up a little, say a couple of blocks driving, pretty much back to normal. I suspect the viscosity of the new fluid used has something to do with it, but it probably is just showing a problem that the old fluid was masking?

Around three years ago I put 31 10.50 R15 tires on which were as big as I could go on the stock jeep with stock wheels (they rub a little on the springs unfortunately), but they didn't seem to be so much different that they would actually put a strain on the drive train?

Any idea what the problem could be? Could it be the clutch? Transmission problem? Anything I might be able to correct or adjust myself?

Odd is he 05-11-2007 10:57 AM

Mine always does that in the winter time, I usually just skip 2nd, untill it the engines warm, or just slam it in to 2nd at it will go.

I have no clue what could be causing the problem

ursandal 05-11-2007 01:14 PM

If your'e not already using it try some REDLINE MT90 in your tranny. I switched and it has smoothed out my shifting on cold mornings. What type of lube did you put in the tranny???

Al

DaveC 05-13-2007 01:52 PM

Don't know what was put in. Just took it to a local lube place that has ben changing the oil since I got it.

Triple88a 05-13-2007 02:10 PM

try removing the stock booth and the little thing under it.. In the winter that thing gets stiff and it contributes to harsh shifting.. just put a screw driver on the back side of the shifter booth and it should pop right out as you pull the booth upwards..
..image.. ashtray/cupholder side of the shifter.. in the "crack" right where the rubber black booth and the brown plastic meet..
http://surfbbx.no-ip.org/files/1st.jpg

I'm currently driving without a booth..just a hole there.. and will be making my own leather booth.

rebelBullDawg325 05-13-2007 03:45 PM

the boot is different on a YJ

stlwkr2 05-13-2007 11:21 PM

My yj did it right after I bought it new, and it was the second gear syncro. Seems to be a common problem. A friend of mines, tj does it also.I haven't had any problems since that was fixed, and that is over 300,000 miles later.

Triple88a 05-14-2007 08:16 AM

good call ^ syncrose is a good recomendation.. i'm just wondering whats the price to fix it? :) I dont have this problem but i'm still curious.

ursandal 05-14-2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveC (Post 81526)
Don't know what was put in. Just took it to a local lube place that has ben changing the oil since I got it.

You might want to make sure that the lube joint didn't put in a GL-5 rated gear lube in your tranny. GL-5 was initially recommended for the ax-5/15 but was updated to use a GL-3. Supposedly the GL-5 stuff will eat up your synchro's due to the sulfur content in GL-5 lubes.

Try some REDLINE MT90 and see if that works, it's a GL-4 but will not eat your tranny.

Al

scootertrash19 05-17-2007 07:39 PM

Hard 2nd gear shift

I just got my '94 back from the trans shop, $1400, had to replace the second & third gear synchro's, the shop owner, a avid 4 wheeler said the wranglers have a terrible problem with 2nd gear synchro's and shift forks. The price was steep but got a total rebuild and new clutch, shifts like new. He also said the toyota p/u also uses the AX-15, but has a different spline input shaft.

DaveC 05-21-2007 06:12 PM

Sigh..bummer. $1400 bucks is more than I am willing to pay at the moment (or ever). I agree that synchos makes sense, but why would the problem go away when things warm up. Again, I am only talking about driving for about 5 min or less, and not talking about driving for an hour. It is in the 70's and 80's in So Cal..so I am not talking cold as in winter cold, just a engine that is below operating temp as far as the oil temp goes. I think I will try finding the Redline MT90 and see if that changes anything. Is there any additive like those super slippery additives that anyone has tried?

Triple88a 05-21-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveC (Post 84182)
I think I will try finding the Redline MT90 and see if that changes anything.

And watch you switch oils and it shifts perfectly :flipoff:

DaveC 05-21-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursandal (Post 81682)
You might want to make sure that the lube joint didn't put in a GL-5 rated gear lube in your tranny. GL-5 was initially recommended for the ax-5/15 but was updated to use a GL-3. Supposedly the GL-5 stuff will eat up your synchro's due to the sulfur content in GL-5 lubes.

Try some REDLINE MT90 and see if that works, it's a GL-4 but will not eat your tranny.

Al

Just checked with the Lube shop and they did say they used GL-5. I check my service manual and that is exactly what it calls for. If that was changed to GL-3, can anyone point me a Tech Bulletin or a Chrysler web page or the like where that change in specification can be found?

DaveC 05-21-2007 07:04 PM

btw - The only TSB's I could find on-line are for the A/T, and not the Manual transmission.

ursandal 05-22-2007 08:01 AM

I went thru all this a few months ago when changing the fluids in my recently purchased 95 w/ax5. Supposedly the sulfer in the gl5 will eat the brass synchro's in the ax5/15. Hayne's manuals and owners manuals recommend the gl-5 and this is supposedly a misprint. I don't have one but I was told that the factory service manuals have the "correct" info, gl3.

I spoke to a local Jeep guy and he told me not to use gl-5. So based on his recommendation and reading thru forums I went with the redline mt90. Others also use Penzoil Synchromesh and GM synchromesh.

The closest thing I could find to official is this...
http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/JeepTrans%20Fluids.pdf

You can find Redline products at local hot rod shops supposedly, the typical auto parts chains don't carry it. I got mine online from Jegs, got it in 2 days.

Al

DaveC 05-23-2007 06:24 PM

Well..went back and had the trans fluid changed again. They put in a synthetic GL-3 and bingo...back to shifting as it always has...which is far better than before. Amazing how much difference a different fluid makes! Not certain what Brand they put in since they pumped it from a 5 gal tub ..and didn't charge me. Next time I'll do it myself with Redline MT-90, but for now...all is good again!

nick94yj 05-25-2007 12:53 AM

I'm having the same problem since the oil change I did I also used gl-5. Can some one tell me how many quarts it takes I can't remember thanks....