Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Is it difficult to change o2 sensor? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/is-it-difficult-to-change-o2-sensor-79712.html)

Holding7RightNow 02-10-2011 04:14 PM

Is it difficult to change o2 sensor?

hey guys i've never done this before, but i think that i need to. i have an error code reading P2096, Downstream fuel system 1/2 lean. really don't know what else could be causing it. i've read that there are a few o2 sensors, how do i know which one?

Hardermods 02-10-2011 04:22 PM

02 sensor arent to hard to change. The downstream one is the sensor after the cat converter.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ensorJeeps.gif

When reading a code like you listed for the 02 sensors, P2096, Downstream fuel system 1/2 lean the 1/2 tells which one it is, 1 being bank 1 the 2 being the 2nd sensor down the line. 4.0 Jeeps only have 1 bank. if you had a v6 or v8 you run into multiple sensors (usually 4) cause you have bank 1 and bank 2

dan188 02-10-2011 04:47 PM

like said above, 02's are not bad at all... Napa, pep boys, etc sell an 02 sensor socket that is really helpful. It has a cut out of the socket so the wire from the 02 sensor doesn't get in the way. I did both of my 02's in about 30 minutes.

jeepjones 02-10-2011 05:40 PM

Before you put the new ones in apply a small amount of High Temp anti seize on the threads, that way they'll come out a lot easier the next time you have to change them.

Holding7RightNow 02-10-2011 07:11 PM

that diagram is great! thanks for the tips, guys. i plan on changing it saturday, so i'll let you know if i'm successful.

jgorm 02-10-2011 07:29 PM

You can cut the wire off the old one so you can put a socket on it without buying the 02socket. sometimes they can be VERY tight! On the real tight ones, that is what i do because the o2 socket starts to bend!

gmaat87 02-11-2011 06:07 AM

They come out much easier when hot. Run it on the highway for a bit. Then try to remove it while it's hot. Just don't burn yourself on the pipes.

trailtwister 02-11-2011 06:40 AM

Try squirting PB Blaster on it every day before trying to remove. It is a great product and is availible at most parts stores.

Victor Ward 02-11-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorm (Post 1047958)
You can cut the wire off the old one so you can put a socket on it without buying the 02socket. sometimes they can be VERY tight! On the real tight ones, that is what i do because the o2 socket starts to bend!

I wouldnt cut the wire until I know for sure I could get it loose but if you can get it loose you dont need to cut the wire. Catch 22.

Where is the upstream O2? My firewall blocks the only pic in this thread so if some one could describe where it is id be nice.

Hardermods 02-11-2011 08:33 AM

If you follow your exhaust from the manifold back, the upstream will be the first one you come to, before the cat converter.

By the diagram that puts it right about where the shifter on the transmission is.

Then the downstream, is after the cat converter, just behind the end of the transfer case.

s3nt3nc3d 02-11-2011 09:53 AM

Blow torch works great for heating up tight O2 sensors...but as mentioned, don't burn yourself on it or the exhaust around you. Just get the joint nice and hot and it'll turn right out. I was rounding off sockets on my old truck trying to break mine free with no luck whatsoever...and my buddy was like, "Heat it."

Voila!

Note: I haven't looked but if it's too close to the gas tank or any other sensitive parts, I'd go with the suggestion above to just run it a while first and get the exhaust system nice and hot.

jgorm 02-11-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Ward (Post 1048827)
I wouldnt cut the wire until I know for sure I could get it loose but if you can get it loose you dont need to cut the wire. Catch 22.

Where is the upstream O2? My firewall blocks the only pic in this thread so if some one could describe where it is id be nice.

If its bad, its got to go anyway! Just unplug the harness before you cut it.

Holding7RightNow 02-12-2011 12:12 PM

i have discovered that i have 4 sensors altogether. not sure which downstream one to change because there seem to be 2. any ideas?

JDsDream 02-12-2011 12:53 PM

OBDII Code P2096=Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Low Limit
Roughly translated it means the after Cat O2 sensor senses the presence of additional oxygen(lean condition)in the exhaust gases exiting the converter after the catalyst.
This condition can be caused by the following:
*A loose exhaust connection before the converter that's letting air in
*Faulty/failing O2 sensor(s)
*Cheap grade, low octane, high ethanol fuel

Have you tried resetting to see if it comes back on? It's quite possible that it is a temporary situation. Give it a shot before throwing money at it.

Holding7RightNow 02-12-2011 01:33 PM

yes, did try a reset, but it did not work. i just went to napa to seek some info, met a fellow jeeper there who referred me to a local mechanic he trusts. i'm gonna give him a call to see what he thinks. i may have to wait until monday tho.

Jerry Bransford 02-12-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepjones (Post 1047712)
Before you put the new ones in apply a small amount of High Temp anti seize on the threads, that way they'll come out a lot easier the next time you have to change them.

Every new 02 sensor (multiple brands) I've ever installed over the years came with antiseize pre-applied onto its threads and was ready to install. :)

kjeeper10 02-12-2011 07:33 PM

160,000 never replaced, i have 4 and only 1 downstream gave me a problem. A little PB blaster and I let the jeep heat up then cool down, In like a half hour it came right out. I was afraid to tackle this and was ready to pay good bucks for a garage to do.. It was very easy. I had the most trouble separating the plastic clips then anything else. Go for it!

Jeeper8 07-27-2011 04:00 PM

I just bought a new downstream O2 sensor and I am going to replace it on my 05 Tj Rubicon.

I am a little nervous about doing this. This post is helpful so anymore information anyone has I appreciate it. Hoping this jeep chick can do it herself!

Jerry Bransford 07-27-2011 08:22 PM

It's kind of like replacing a spark plug but an 02 sensor is normally in pretty tight due to the heat of what it is screwed into. To make the job as easy as possible, and this is no assurance it will be easy to remove, go buy an 02 sensor socket which goes onto a 1/2" ratchet drive. That type of a socket has a slot cut into its side the 02 sensor's wiring passes through which prevents damage to the wiring of the new 02 sensor. It's probably gonna take a little muscle to remove the old sensor since the heat often seizes them into place.

Most 02 sensor sockets look kinda like this one...

http://www.northernautotools.com/med...cket-chr-v.jpg

Good luck with it Jeeper8 and welcome to WF! :)

jgorm 07-28-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1415225)

If its stuck on real hard, those sockets will bend and break. I only use those sockets to install o2 sensors. For removal, of really stuck sensors, cut the wire and use a real socket.

jjthejetplane 06-01-2013 07:42 PM

I have this same problem I have an 05 jeep wrangler with 4.0. I've changed the Crank, cam and tps sensors as well as airflow sensor and I still can't rev it about 2300 to 2500, Only way I can is if I block of air and it sucks closed than it revs fine.. The only thing I have changed are the 02 sensors just unplugged one but not sure how long it takes to see if it will make a difference.. Any one have any suggestions?

BigHurt844 06-03-2013 10:08 AM

Curious as I'll need to do this to my 06, what size socket does it take?

Neil F. 06-03-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjthejetplane (Post 3815626)
I have this same problem I have an 05 jeep wrangler with 4.0. I've changed the Crank, cam and tps sensors as well as airflow sensor and I still can't rev it about 2300 to 2500, Only way I can is if I block of air and it sucks closed than it revs fine.. The only thing I have changed are the 02 sensors just unplugged one but not sure how long it takes to see if it will make a difference.. Any one have any suggestions?

I really don't understand what this says. Regardless, O2 sensors have nothing to do with engine RPMs

Neil F. 06-03-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHurt844 (Post 3820273)
Curious as I'll need to do this to my 06, what size socket does it take?

You are best off going to the autoparts store and getting an O2 wrench

Jerry Bransford 06-03-2013 10:53 AM

The 02 sensors I have changed required a 7/8" socket. But for installing a new 02 sensor, get an 02 socket from the auto parts store which has a slot machined into it for the wiring to fit through. When removing the old 02 sensor, cut the wiring off the top of it & use a conventional wrench or socket. An 02 socket sometimes isn't strong enough to remove a stubborn old 02 sensor.

jowwo 06-03-2013 11:02 AM

This might seem obvious (but not to the PO of my Jeep), unplug the sensor before you unthread it, and plug it in after you get the new one in there and tight. That way you don't twist up the wires and break one.
I had to break mine loose with a wrench, then use the socket. The socket couldn't handle the tight sensor and was trying to spread open.

Neil F. 06-03-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3820398)
The 02 sensors I have changed required a 7/8" socket. But for installing a new 02 sensor, get an 02 socket from the auto parts store which has a slot machined into it for the wiring to fit through. When removing the old 02 sensor, cut the wiring off the top of it & use a conventional wrench or socket. An 02 socket sometimes isn't strong enough to remove a stubborn old 02 sensor.

Use the O2 wrench to remove it also.

Jerry, the only thing I don't like about that recommendation is the cut the wire first. If you cut the wire, you are commited to having to replace it. I've had O2 sensors that were siezed tight and took more than a day to get out. (Not on the jeep)

Jerry Bransford 06-03-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 3820483)
Use the O2 wrench to remove it also.

That would work only if the 02 sensor isn't seized in place and a ***** to remove as many are. The slot machined into the side of an 02 socket weakens it and it can give if too much force is applied against it as happened when I had to replace one of the 02 sensors in my Toyota a few months ago. It ruined my 02 socket & I ended up having to weld a long breaker bar to a 7/8" open-end wrench to gain enough leverage to break the old 02 sensor free. Which by the way only had 75K miles on it, all in a dry southwestern salt-free enviornment.

Walkingstick 06-11-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1415225)
It's kind of like replacing a spark plug but an 02 sensor is normally in pretty tight due to the heat of what it is screwed into. To make the job as easy as possible, and this is no assurance it will be easy to remove, go buy an 02 sensor socket which goes onto a 1/2" ratchet drive. That type of a socket has a slot cut into its side the 02 sensor's wiring passes through which prevents damage to the wiring of the new 02 sensor. It's probably gonna take a little muscle to remove the old sensor since the heat often seizes them into place.

Good luck with it Jeeper8 and welcome to WF! :)

I use a spanner wrench haha