Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Car stereo wiring problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/car-stereo-wiring-problem-79956.html)

Nurse_Shagnasty 02-12-2011 02:52 PM

Car stereo wiring problem

Ok, I bought a new stereo to replace my aftermarket stereo and have had a huge issue with wiring...I bought a new wiring harness, but when I splice the wires from my stereo to the harness I am having issues with what to splice with...first time: wire nuts...every bump I hit the radio shorts out...second time: wire connectors that you crimp, well they end up slipping out so I put electrical tape on top of conncetors, and still every bump radio either flickers out or will power down then back up...what is my issue here?

Mclaughlin_1234 02-12-2011 03:11 PM

Check your Ground and all your wires.What could be happening is everytime you hit a bump,one of your wires could be touching something metal really quick.

DevilDogDoc 02-12-2011 03:14 PM

You must not be crimping the butt connectors right because I have installed dozens of stereos with those and the only time they slip out is when the metal inside isn't crimped down, only the plastic.

Nurse_Shagnasty 02-12-2011 03:20 PM

I am extremely amateur at this...which is my ground? and when I crimp some of the connectors, it splits the plastic...can you describe how exactly to crimp?

DevilDogDoc 02-12-2011 03:51 PM

If you look down the barrel of the butt connector you will see where the metal inside is. That's where you crimp it, if you do it before the metal all you do is squish the plastic which let the wire slip out.

cervelo101 02-12-2011 03:52 PM

the ground is the one with the large half circle clamp at the end, it should be running to a bolt thats attached to metal. If you are not sure which one that is, you might not have it set up right.

I just completed the same install and found a great site. Google wiring for your year Jeep, people have listed them all out by color.

Bobthegod 02-12-2011 05:13 PM

If you're having this many issues take it to a radio shop and pay the $20-30.00 and have them wire it up for you. Then if it shorts.....just take it back.

jefferyfghezzi 02-12-2011 05:30 PM

You may have the wrong size butt connectors.RED18/22ga,BLUE16/14 ga YELLOW 12/10ga. You can solder ir they are not insulated.Good LUCK!

Se7endust1 02-12-2011 06:21 PM

Find a video on youtube on how to solder properly...will never have problems. That is if you hooked it up right the first time...match colors isn't hard is it? :)

monkeee2002 02-12-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Se7endust1 (Post 1051705)
Find a video on youtube on how to solder properly...will never have problems. That is if you hooked it up right the first time...match colors isn't hard is it? :)

This!
I've done many stereos, and I've tried blade connectors, barrel connectors, pretty much any connecter.
I find that solder and electrical tape or shrink tubing is the best solution.

Tony 76 02-12-2011 09:25 PM

I agree with I believe its Bob if you dont know take it to a professional its cheap and you have piece of mind it's not common but I know some one personally who burned they're CJ 7 to the ground because the stereo was hooked up shady

Nurse_Shagnasty 02-14-2011 11:26 AM

Well I have connected everything...nothing slipping out, then covered everything with electrical tape so it couldn't slip...my ground wires are attached to the chassis at least the two I found...and I thought I had it...took the Jeep down the bumpiest road and did ok, then I hit a big bump and radio powered down then back up...that was yesterday...same today except now everybump powering down and back up...it's irritating because it had become a challenge, however now i will succumb to the greater powers of stereo installation...can anyone recommend somewhere? Best Buy is $50, and the whole reason I took on this challenge was to save money

jorgeII 02-14-2011 11:46 AM

Stereo Install

I hear you on trying to save a few bucks, in fact the reason so many of us love the Jeep is for the simple process of doins so many mods ourselves; and that includes stereo/audio.

I agree with previous posts, soldering etc, probably best, however I've done quite a few in the past by just twisting the wires and applying electrical tape. Plastic crimps present their own problems for the novice installer as well. I have come to really like using the twist on connectors, followed up w/ electrical tape.

My concern is why the system is powering down and up again after u hit a bump. It would seem to me that if there was a loss of contact (wires running to spkrs etc.) that u would regain "sound" immediately. It sounds like you have checked the "ground" wire, I would also suggest checking the main power wire. Otherwise, pro installer, next option. Good Luck!

gruv2ths 02-14-2011 11:47 AM

Just to to the bay at Best Buy with your stereo harness and your Jeep adapter harness and a 10 dollar bill. Tell them u just need the harness wired, that you'll take care of mounting.
Go when nobody is there, like at 10am or at lunch during the week.
Look fir a kid that doesn't look like a manager.

gruv2ths 02-14-2011 11:50 AM

I bet he is grounding through the chassis, and not through the appropriate wire.

Don't older jeeps ground the stereo through a brade??

Ibuildembig 02-14-2011 11:54 AM

Crimps are industry standard and I have used them for 25 years without issue...you just have to have the right tool to crimp them. That being said, it sounds like a ground problem to me as well.