Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Suspension Lift Suggestions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/suspension-lift-suggestions-79970.html)

Creeper 02-12-2011 03:18 PM

Suspension Lift Suggestions

Hey everyone, I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.. I purchased some 33 12.50 BFG AT's today and 15x10 Ultra (Model 164) Matte Black wheels this morning. I knew this would be the best place to come to for general knowledge on this so here goes. This is my first suspension lift. I am here to get some suggestions on a lift kit, and I would be most satisfied on a price around $1,200 if possible. So I'm figuring I will want a 3" suspension lift, 4 is just a bit much for me. As a side note, I made up my own opinion in case you would like to agree with me or let me know if I'm going the wrong direction. I was considering BDS 3" suspension lift.. Thoughts?

Idea's please? :] Thank you all.

Red Neckerson 02-12-2011 03:48 PM

I have a 3" Black Diamond lift on mine with a 1" Daystar bodylift, along with 33 12.5 15 tires. I have had it for about 5 years and like this set up for what I use it for.

Just visited BDS' website. http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...5&yr=1997-2006 One thing I would strongly recommend is getting an adjustable front track bar.
Is this the one you are looking at?
EDIT: Sorry that's the budget boost, but the 3" is there.

Jeepoffroad04 02-12-2011 03:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You should really consider lookin at a 4" lift they are made to fit 33s under your jeep a 3" with add weight will have you rubbin the finders. My first lift was a 2.5" lift with 33s but after drivin around town It started rubbin my finders so I went and bought a 4" lift and made a world of a difference. Heres a pic of a before and after of my 2.5 to 4" note: 1 inch makes a hell uva difference

Sent from my SGH-T959 using WF Access

Creeper 02-12-2011 04:44 PM

Neckerson, yeah that's the one I was looking at.

Creeper 02-12-2011 04:47 PM

Jeepoffroad04 okay, that helps a lot. And do i need to add anything specific to the lift kit (above) I'm considering? Is the steering stabilizer necessary? I'm a suspension lift noob so i was curious if it was all there. Oh, and If I'm upping it to a 4" suspension my other choice of the two I was considering would be Old man Emu... the guy that is going to install it for me recommended that.

T2000J 02-12-2011 04:51 PM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/zo...cts-74536.html

yjkid95 02-12-2011 04:57 PM

Old Man Emu makes a great lift kit. Youll find they are very popular here. They provide a very good ride. With a 4 inch lift youll need to have these upgrades (they are necessary at this point) Adjustable Upper control arms in the rear, CV driveshaft, Slip yoke eliminator. If you don't do those upgrades you most likely will get some driveline vibes and be throwing u joints. Next up is the tracbars. Trac bars are used to keep the axles centered under the jeep. They have a top mount on the frame and bottom on the axle. When you lift the jeep your making the distance from the frame to axle bigger. This pulls the trac bar to a more vertical position which will pull the axle to one side making it drive very wierd and unsafe. To correct this you will need adjustable trac bars, front and rear. A aftermarket steering stabilizer is not completely necessary but it is recommendded. Good luck with your project,
Ian.

Creeper 02-12-2011 04:58 PM

& What about Rough Country?

Jeepoffroad04 02-12-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creeper (Post 1051653)
Jeepoffroad04 okay, that helps a lot. And do i need to add anything specific to the lift kit (above) I'm considering? Is the steering stabilizer necessary? I'm a suspension lift noob so i was curious if it was all there. Oh, and If I'm upping it to a 4" suspension my other choice of the two I was considering would be Old man Emu... the guy that is going to install it for me recommended that.

ya steering stabilizer is a must have. no lift comes with it and old man emu is a great brand lift but expensive i would recommend the skyjacker 4'' sport lift its cheap and gives you awsome off/on road performance for a low low prise of around like $500 plus it comes with everything you need right out of the box including shocks. the second picture of my jeep is with that lift kit

Creeper 02-12-2011 05:03 PM

Okay, Skyjacker was also recommended but I didn't see any that cheap :o. I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of off roading, just occasional fun stuff with friends ya kno?

Creeper 02-12-2011 05:06 PM

I REALLY like the price on that skyjacker sport lift. Anyone have an opinion on that specific kit? Not that I don't trust you offroad04, it's just I'm really trying to get something reliable and more feedback would make me feel better. That price just feels too good to be true :P

Jeepoffroad04 02-12-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creeper (Post 1051688)
I REALLY like the price on that skyjacker sport lift. Anyone have an opinion on that specific kit? Not that I don't trust you offroad04, it's just I'm really trying to get something reliable and more feedback would make me feel better. That price just feels too good to be true :P

i understand thats what i thought at first aswell:cool: good luck with your decision

T2000J 02-12-2011 05:23 PM

better built than skyjacker just my 2 cents
4" TJ Suspension System

Creeper 02-12-2011 05:35 PM

I looked that up and I read that IRO was recommended over that... Thoughts?

AzTJ 02-12-2011 05:42 PM

To really fir the 33's properly, you'll need at least 4" of lift. At that height, you'll need an SYE and rear upper adjustable control arms. Or, you can get a 3-3.5" lift and a 1" body lift. You may still need to lower the transfercase skid to alleviate possible driveline vibes. The Zone kits have become very popular, and they don't seem like bad kits, but they just are not complete IMO.

I mean, why install a lift, and then have to install a t-case drop? Seems counter productive.. am I right?

If anything, I'd say get a decent 3" lift and get yourself some adjustable upper arms to help with the driveshaft angles.

Jon M 02-12-2011 05:53 PM

Creepers, in the same boat as you. Been looking for a lift for months and have figured out there are too many different variables. Have heard rough country has gotten better on their quality. I've been eye balling Rustys Offroad. They seem to have good prices.

MikeMTJ 02-12-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creeper (Post 1051677)
& What about Rough Country?

Stay away from Rough Country

BDS is very reputable, as is Old Man Emu. Just pay the extra money for a quality lift. It's worth it in the end.

Jeepoffroad04 02-12-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ
To really fir the 33's properly, you'll need at least 4" of lift. At that height, you'll need an SYE and rear upper adjustable control arms. Or, you can get a 3-3.5" lift and a 1" body lift. You may still need to lower the transfercase skid to alleviate possible driveline vibes. The Zone kits have become very popular, and they don't seem like bad kits, but they just are not complete IMO.

I mean, why install a lift, and then have to install a t-case drop? Seems counter productive.. am I right?

If anything, I'd say get a decent 3" lift and get yourself some adjustable upper arms to help with the driveshaft angles.

You dont need a slip yoke I dont have one and I do some seriose offroading sometimes. skyjackers kit comes with everything you need just like the zone kit its all about how much you want to spend

Sent from Iphone 4 using WF Access

Gumpy2030 02-12-2011 06:49 PM

No one has mentioned Rubicon Express but that would be first on my list. With a budget of $1,200 you can get a pretty good set up. Rubicon Express Superflex 3.5" kit with adjustable control arms, & adjustable track bar ran me about that price. This is where I bought mine and really liked working with them. They will work with you and customize the kit for what you want.

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rub...ocks-p-42.html

AzTJ 02-12-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepoffroad04 (Post 1051770)
You dont need a slip yoke I dont have one and I do some seriose offroading sometimes. skyjackers kit comes with everything you need just like the zone kit its all about how much you want to spend

Yeah, buy you installed a t-case drop huh?

Jeepoffroad04 02-12-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 1051839)
Yeah, buy you installed a t-case drop huh?

ya it will save you about $300:crash: plus its included

just4fun 02-12-2011 07:21 PM

Rough country has a 4" long arm with adjusting control arms upper and lower for around $1000 I have a 6" from them and have been wheeling hard for a year now and no issues.

AzTJ 02-12-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepoffroad04 (Post 1051853)
ya it will save you about $300:crash: plus its included

Yeah, and you just lost 1" of your lift. :)

MikalCarbine 02-12-2011 07:51 PM

Stick with the BDS 3" and get a 1" BL, this will give you some options in the future, mml, tummy tuck, etc if you so desire. The BDS 3" is one of the most complete lift kits you can get for that price.

Personally I just pieced together a custom AEV 3" lift kit and I'll be doing a 1" BL myself once I go 33's. If you want a list of everything I used in it let me know, it can be done for around $800-$900 and is pretty quality

Bubba68CS 02-12-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 1051917)

Not really. Compare a 3" lift with 33's and a TC drop to a 2" lift with 32's without the TC drop:

Approach and departure angles - better on the 3" - 33 combo
Minimum ground clearance - better on the 3" - 33 combo
TC height - still a half inch higher on the 3" - 33 combo

While I certainly understand the reasoning behind a SYE and CV driveshaft with adjustable control arms...is it NECESSARY with only 3" of lift? Seems like if you want to lift a Jeep around here the advice is going to be either a budget boost or a $2000 lift. And why is it all of the sudden you need 4" of lift to fit 33's? What happened to an inch of lift per inch of tire diameter...seemed that was the accepted recommendation for the first few months I was on here...now its suddenly changing to higher and higher?

I guess I just don't understand why there's no middle ground with people around here...why can't you get the thing up and worry about adding the expensive but not necessary (but recommended) stuff later?

Sorry for the rant http://www.gracecentered.com/christi...hit_smiley.gif Not really directed so much at you as it is the forum at large...its quite frustrating for those of us who are actually on a budget when you start mixing in people telling you what would be nice as opposed to what is actually necessary...those of us without the experience have no idea what we actually NEED.

Jeepoffroad04 02-12-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ

Thanks for letting me know. commen sense ;)

djw97tj 02-12-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creeper (Post 1051515)
Hey everyone, I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.. I purchased some 33 12.50 BFG AT's today and 15x10 Ultra (Model 164) Matte Black wheels this morning. I knew this would be the best place to come to for general knowledge on this so here goes. This is my first suspension lift. I am here to get some suggestions on a lift kit, and I would be most satisfied on a price around $1,200 if possible. So I'm figuring I will want a 3" suspension lift, 4 is just a bit much for me. As a side note, I made up my own opinion in case you would like to agree with me or let me know if I'm going the wrong direction. I was considering BDS 3" suspension lift.. Thoughts?

Idea's please? :] Thank you all.

I have heard nothing but good about BDS but I can't give a personal opinion. I have the 2.5" Rough Country and I love it, a few people curse RC lifts but mines been doing just fine. With a 3" lift its usually recomended that you get a SYE and CV driveshaft. This requires rear upper adjustable control arms. Theres a link to an extensive write up on here somewhere. You also do need a steering stabalizer to help with the larger tires and lift etc. With a 3 or 4" lift you will more than likely need an adjustable track bar. Its also a good idea to get bumpstop extensions with 3" or more lift. With that $1200 you should be pretty good to go.
Personally this is what I would do:
Jeep TJ Suspension Lift
then get a MML and an adjustable front track bar and a steering stabilizer.

Creeper 02-12-2011 09:32 PM

I am really liking that Rubicon Express 3.5... I was curious about those but the prices were over 2,000 on each of the ones i saw so it ran me off. But the one you left a link for is looking good... sadly I'm not educated enough to know what a SYE and Tom Woods Drevish are or do... Nor do i know what track bars do... yeah I'm a pretty big noob at this but I am completely in love with my jeep and i can recognize a beautiful ride when i see one, so i'm trying to get my own haha... just need a bit of assistance.

Creeper 02-12-2011 10:03 PM

Do i need the Slip yoke eliminator on a 3.5 inch lift? I'm not going to be doing a lot of offroading at all honestly. Id like to keep my jeep looking clean...nothing serious. Just need to fit those 33 12.50's under it and ride nice as possible and be durable.

AzTJ 02-12-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creeper (Post 1052146)
Do i need the Slip yoke eliminator on a 3.5 inch lift? I'm not going to be doing a lot of offroading at all honestly. Id like to keep my jeep looking clean...nothing serious. Just need to fit those 33 12.50's under it and ride nice as possible and be durable.

You don't need it. But like I said, installing a transfercase drop is counter productive to the lift you are installing.

The SYE is not necessary if you make the correct modifications.

I just don't like t-case drops. :whistling: