Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Rear Control arm adjustment? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/rear-control-arm-adjustment-79980.html)

drl650 02-12-2011 05:37 PM

Rear Control arm adjustment?

Do you adjust the Control arm lenght longer to lower the pinion angle?

AzTJ 02-12-2011 05:49 PM

Why do you want to lower the pinion?

If you have a lift, you need to lengthen the upper arms.

Shortening the lowers will raise the pinion, but also shorten your wheelbase even more so and cause rubbing from the tires contacting the fender.

UnlimitedLJ04 02-12-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drl650 (Post 1051737)
Do you adjust the Control arm lenght longer to lower the pinion angle?

in the rear you can lengthen the lowers or shorten the uppers to lower the pinion angle.

CapnDean 02-12-2011 06:48 PM

Yes: It just depends on what you are trying to do. When you lift your jeep you need to point your pinion up. This can be done by lengthening the upper control arms or shortening the lowers... Get it?

drl650 02-12-2011 06:49 PM

I meant the uppers, so I need to shorten the uppers to lower my pinion. The reason is, I have a slight vibration during excelleration, It is hardly noticable but I feel it..This lift has been on for a couple of years installed before I got it. The rear shaft I rebuilt with new u joints as one was bad so I replaced all of them. This is on my Rubicon with a 4.5" RE lift. Thanks.

Gumpy2030 02-12-2011 06:55 PM

I am confused are you trying to raise or lower your pinion? If you lift it you need to angle that pinion angle up towards the t-case. Shortening the uppers should lower the pinion and making the arms longer should raise the pinion.

UnlimitedLJ04 02-12-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drl650 (Post 1051836)
I meant the uppers, so I need to shorten the uppers to lower my pinion. The reason is, I have a slight vibration during excelleration, It is hardly noticable but I feel it..This lift has been on for a couple of years installed before I got it. The rear shaft I rebuilt with new u joints as one was bad so I replaced all of them. This is on my Rubicon with a 4.5" RE lift. Thanks.

with 4.5" of lift you need a double cardan driveshaft (called a CV shaft).

While Rubicon's NV241OR's are fixed flange output, they do not come with a double cardan rear driveshaft from the factory. With a double cardan driveshaft, you will point the pinion up, typically directly parallel to the driveshaft. That will change the position of the track bar and rear shocks, both issues you will also need to address.

drl650 02-12-2011 07:45 PM

My Rubi has the double cardan ds installed. The pinion is about 2 degrees above parallel. This was why I have a slight vibration during excelleration. Thanks to all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 1051898)
with 4.5" of lift you need a double cardan driveshaft (called a CV shaft).

While Rubicon's NV241OR's are fixed flange output, they do not come with a double cardan rear driveshaft from the factory. With a double cardan driveshaft, you will point the pinion up, typically directly parallel to the driveshaft. That will change the position of the track bar and rear shocks, both issues you will also need to address.

TexasT 02-12-2011 10:42 PM

I set the wheelbase with the lower arms and then pinion angle with the uppers. Don't know if it's right or wrong but it's always worked and easy to do.