Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   help,, clutch issues, bout to buy jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/help-clutch-issues-bout-to-buy-jeep-80019.html)

jeepskala 02-12-2011 11:21 PM

help,, clutch issues, bout to buy jeep

so i am about to buy a 97 tj with a 4.0 5spd. apparently he has a new tranny and new clutch with only a few thousand miles on it. but recently the clutch has no pressure, goes right to the floor.

he says the master for the clutch is full, is it still possible that the slave went? or do we have major issues?

any suggestions or test i should do before i buy this thing?

jdhallissey 02-13-2011 11:43 AM

No pressures means throwout bearing is gone. If you start it up go to put it in gear can you or is it stupid hard too. Does it make any noise? Replacing the clutch and putting it in right is about a 4 hour job. That is what it took me yesterday not working very fast lol

Sgt.Smith 02-13-2011 08:31 PM

My 2008 Mustang had the same issue where the clutch drops straight to the floor, and would stay in gear. It cost me $690 for a new slave cylinder and throwing bearings. So it maybe an easy fix. My was in the shop for 4 hours.

CapnDean 02-13-2011 09:10 PM

Hmmm.... my Korean friend SumTangWong answered this one.

New Tranny, New Clutch, bad throwout bearing? I say something fishy.

ANYBODY worth their salt that changes a clutch, is gonna change out the pressure plate, clutch disc AND throwout bearing simultaneously. TOB is too cheap to re-use.

I am not saying that it is impossible to get a bad throwout bearing from the manufacturer.... but you might want to check that NEW transmission NEW clutch claim.

rrich 02-13-2011 09:22 PM

With a bad throwout bearing you'd still have pedal.

Sounds like the slave cylinder is gone. It's easy to replace and not expensive. Look underneath it to see.

Get a quality one - NAPA, CarQuest, etc, not a Chinese knock off at Autozone.

jeepskala 02-13-2011 11:03 PM

i was thinking also, maybe the master could of took a crap, maybe its just not building the pressure, either way, when i go to buy it, im going to remove the master line and slave as a whole from my 4cyl tj and bring it with me and ill try swaping it over if i find that the slave does not move when i remove it from the tj im buying. god i hope its a slave,

and i know the kid im buying it from he had the tranny and clutch done at reputable shop here on long island that does nothing but trannys and such,

hookuspookus 02-14-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepskala (Post 1052334)
so i am about to buy a 97 tj with a 4.0 5spd. apparently he has a new tranny and new clutch with only a few thousand miles on it. but recently the clutch has no pressure, goes right to the floor.

he says the master for the clutch is full, is it still possible that the slave went? or do we have major issues?

any suggestions or test i should do before i buy this thing?

have someone get in the jeep and have them push the pedal, do you see the slave moving ? if its not you have a slave or master cyl problem . is the slave rod still in place or is it missing ?