Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Chip it? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/chip-it-80169.html)

agirardin 02-13-2011 10:40 PM

Chip it?

Is a performance chip honestly a valuable benefit? I just saw this ad:
JEEP WRANGLER GF Peformance Chip

That is really cheap and sounds like a good upgrade, but I have never installed a chip on anything except for my brothers VW GTi and that was only for a horsepower increase. also that was quite significantly more expensive. Has anyone done this with their jeep? and is it worth it?

s3nt3nc3d 02-13-2011 10:56 PM

Don't waste your money...all it does is trick your intake air temp sensor into thinking the air entering the engine is colder so it starts dumping more fuel into your engine. You could build your own for about $1.50 at Radioshack...they're also notorious for throwing a check engine light during the winter months...I think because they make the computer think it's running too cold for too long.

hookuspookus 02-14-2011 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 1054277)
Don't waste your money...all it does is trick your intake air temp sensor into thinking the air entering the engine is colder so it starts dumping more fuel into your engine. You could build your own for about $1.50 at Radioshack...they're also notorious for throwing a check engine light during the winter months...I think because they make the computer think it's running too cold for too long.

do you have a schematic for this ? i would like to try it for laughs

s3nt3nc3d 02-14-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookuspookus (Post 1054485)
do you have a schematic for this ? i would like to try it for laughs

Nope...I used to have a diagram of it somewhere...I think all they actually use is a resistor packaged inside a little box so it looks fancy with two wires coming out of it that you splice into that sensor. They usually find a resistor that works in most conditions.

A guy on our old Dakota forum who was basically the Jerry Bransford of Dodge Dakotas actually used a similar setup on his main race truck/daily driver but instead of using resistors he got a second intake air temp sensor and wired it up so it was reading the outside air temperature before it hit the radiator (I think that's the location). It worked great for him during the summer months...and he had it wired into a switch with his stock one, so when the outside air temperature got cold enough for it to throw a code, he'd flip the switch before it would throw the code and it'd read from his stock sensor in the factory location.

A common mod on the Dakota was to relocate that sensor from the intake manifold (plugging the hole where it once resided) to the tube going into the intake. It would read slightly lower temperatures in that location without tripping a check engine light in most climates. He just took it a step further.

agirardin 02-15-2011 01:33 PM

Im most likely not smart enough to build my own, and it seems unnecessary anyway. Thanks for the imput

perkalator 02-15-2011 02:02 PM

Save the money for something else.