Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   burning smell??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/burning-smell-8017.html)

k123 05-13-2007 01:16 PM

burning smell???

For the past month or so, every time I get out of my 04 sahara there is a distinct smell of burnt tire? I drive the tj normally on the road and still after I get out of the car there is this smell.
I have about 12000miles on the current bridgestones.

Any advice???

Thanks

Mike001 05-13-2007 01:21 PM

I would start by checking around the exhaust and headers to make sure a wire or some rubber ain't contacting it somewhere.

Odhinn 05-13-2007 01:37 PM

X2 on mike001

Check the rear wheel wells, there is a useless rubber thing, (Its a flap that runs from the tub to the frame) back there that sometimes grabs the tires. Because I am running MT/r's the last time mine did it the sound was like a playing card in a set of bike spokes. While your under there you might want to look at the entire exhaust. I worked on a 1 ton that had a similar smell. He had run over and inner tube and it wrapped around his exhaust pipe.

Triple88a 05-13-2007 02:08 PM

Where does it smell from.. front/back? Odhinn that useless rubber thing you refer to (if i'm thinking of the right thing) is there to cover the frame from stuff that gets spun by the tires such as pieces of rocks, mud, or my worst enemy so far.. salt...

When you get the smell check under the hood, check the tires, exhaust, the catalystic converter hanger by the tranny, wires near the exhaust manifold (just a sniff.. dont touch when hot!!!)

One of my buddies had smell like that on his mazda mx-3, that ended up being a belt.. No squeeks of anykind either just a slip here and there and the smell would get moved back from the wind right into the cabin..

Odhinn 05-13-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 81518)
Where does it smell from.. front/back? Odhinn that useless rubber thing you refer to (if i'm thinking of the right thing) is there to cover the frame from stuff that gets spun by the tires such as pieces of rocks, mud, or my worst enemy so far.. salt...

When you get the smell check under the hood, check the tires, exhaust, the catalystic converter hanger by the tranny, wires near the exhaust manifold (just a sniff.. dont touch when hot!!!)

One of my buddies had smell like that on his mazda mx-3, that ended up being a belt.. No squeeks of anykind either just a slip here and there and the smell would get moved back from the wind right into the cabin..

Yeah... you are thinking of the correct one. They are there to prevent damage/buildup in case of a blowout or debris. I personally have never had them function like the design was suppose to work during wheeling or a blowout but that is just my experience. Someone else might have actually had them work for them in similar situations.;)

Trip made a good point. you might want to find out what part of the jeep the smell is coming from.:)