Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   vendor for OEM soft top? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/vendor-for-oem-soft-top-80549.html)

sinduda216 02-16-2011 10:11 AM

vendor for OEM soft top?
 
my 2010 2door sport came with a freedom hard top...no softhttp://www.jkowners.com/forum/images...es/bawling.gif, helps a lot in the winter but its almost spring and i would like to get a deal on a soft top if possible, any suggestions on vendors, type, aftermarket or OEM?

jeffk42 02-16-2011 10:48 AM

Bestop manufactures the OEM soft top, so you can't go wrong with them.

Jeep replacement soft top application guide - Quadratec

tysalem 02-16-2011 11:07 AM

If your looking for the best deal, look on craigslist in your area and find people selling theirs. I got mine brand new from a couple that took it out of their jeep that came with the dual top option. I got it brand new for 600 compared to the 1,400 you will spend any other place.

JeepAddOns-Chris 02-16-2011 11:26 AM

Check with the forum sponsoring vendors and you can get a better deal.

Geoff@Bestop 02-16-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepAddOns-Chris (Post 1059961)
Check with the forum sponsoring vendors and you can get a better deal.

Chris: I've heard that JeepAddOns has an entire secret room set up for the employees to kick puppies. Is this true?

(Just kidding! It's a great store.)

Spring is almost in the air! It's time to start planning on tops for your Jeep. Bikini tops, soft tops, frameless tops, full tops, whatever. It just aint' a Jeep without a piece of fabric over your head!

You've got tons of options, from our company and other manufacturers. And there are great places to buy those tops from, like Chris' place.

And great reviews and advice from the folks here on this forum.

It's awesome to own a Jeep.

Thanks for your support everyone.

dystynkt 02-16-2011 11:43 AM

My '11 came with the soft and I am planning on selling it. Shoot me a pm if you're interested and we can talk price.

MTH 02-16-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 1059978)
Spring is almost in the air! It's time to start planning on tops for your Jeep. Bikini tops, soft tops, frameless tops, full tops, whatever. It just aint' a Jeep without a piece of fabric over your head!

You've got tons of options, from our company and other manufacturers. And there are great places to buy those tops from, like Chris' place.

Geoff: According to Quadratec, the Bestop Header Safari Bikini top is available in "Mesh" only for 2009 and down. (Compare this with this.) Is that true? That means I'll have to get the VDP version for this summer if I want a mesh version. (See here.) I'm trying to give you my money man!! Help me out!

Geoff@Bestop 02-16-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1060046)
I'm trying to give you my money man!! Help me out!

Let's just skip all this middle-man nonsense, and send your money straight to me. Paypal works great.

-------

Call 800-845-3567 and ask them if the mesh top will work at all on a 2010.

The door surrounds changed, so the attachment point above the door will be different. If you're not using door surrounds, then you may bne able to get it to work. I'm not sure - so call our fit experts. They're going to say "no" right off the bat, so make sure you tell them you know about the door surround issue.

MTH 02-16-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 1060164)
Let's just skip all this middle-man nonsense, and send your money straight to me. Paypal works great.

Very efficient. Good point. :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 1060164)
Call 800-845-3567 and ask them if the mesh top will work at all on a 2010.

Thanks, will do. Unfortunately, I'm a soft top only kind of guy, so I've got the door surrounds. Since I'm buying sight unseen, I'd just feel more confident in a Bestop product than a VDP one.

Grog 02-16-2011 01:10 PM

I put a Bestop soft top on my rig last year, and from that experience would not buy Bestop again. The directions were not very good, and it was difficult to install because it turned out to have a manufacturing defect - a hole was drilled about 1/4" off on one of the metal frame pieces. (I was not part of this forum at the time)

I would go OEM if I were to do it again.

MTH 02-16-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grog (Post 1060190)
I put a Bestop soft top on my rig last year, and from that experience would not buy Bestop again. The directions were not very good, and it was difficult to install because it turned out to have a manufacturing defect - a hole was drilled about 1/4" off on one of the metal frame pieces. (I was not part of this forum at the time)

I would go OEM if I were to do it again.


Pretty sure Bestop manufactures the OEM. Have you EVER looked at the instructions that come with a Mopar product?? They managed to make putting on grab handles seem complicated . . . . :rofl:

sinduda216 02-16-2011 02:10 PM

will the 2011 soft top fit onto the 2010 2 door jk?

JPWheelin 02-16-2011 04:13 PM

I too have a 2010 with hard top and I have to make the same decision shortly. It is a tough decision...too many options! You can check the Quadratec softop advisor:

Jeep replacement soft top application guide - Quadratec

You could also consider a bikini top, which is much cheaper but also pretty bare bones...it's not going to keep the interior completely dry if you get caught in the rain.

To add to the confusion there is a new version of the Trektop NX due out later this year (I think around April).

Trektop NX - Tops and Accessories for Jeep & GM, Ford, Dodge Trucks by Bestop

I personally am leaning towards waiting out the Trektop NX. However, once I remove my hard top a few times I might change my mind and want somethign sooner.

JeepAddOns-Chris 02-16-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 1059978)
Chris: I've heard that JeepAddOns has an entire secret room set up for the employees to kick puppies. Is this true?

(Just kidding! It's a great store.)

Spring is almost in the air! It's time to start planning on tops for your Jeep. Bikini tops, soft tops, frameless tops, full tops, whatever. It just aint' a Jeep without a piece of fabric over your head!

You've got tons of options, from our company and other manufacturers. And there are great places to buy those tops from, like Chris' place.

And great reviews and advice from the folks here on this forum.

It's awesome to own a Jeep.

Thanks for your support everyone.

Absolutely not true!!! That would be cruel. We club baby seals back there. :whistling:

Thanks for the plug Geoff. The JK Bestop stuff is outstanding.

InfernoGirl 02-16-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grog
I put a Bestop soft top on my rig last year, and from that experience would not buy Bestop again. The directions were not very good, and it was difficult to install because it turned out to have a manufacturing defect - a hole was drilled about 1/4" off on one of the metal frame pieces. (I was not part of this forum at the time)

I would go OEM if I were to do it again.

I got a brand new OEM top this fall, similar issues... The instructions leave much to be desired, but as mentioned, they're all bestop, so get the one thats most economical. And give yourself plenty of time and cold beer:)

patastinky 02-16-2011 10:28 PM

I've got an OEM softtop but it's a fourdoor. It's brand new my jeep came with dual tops. PM me :-)

sinduda216 02-17-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patastinky (Post 1061417)
I've got an OEM softtop but it's a fourdoor. It's brand new my jeep came with dual tops. PM me :-)


needed 2 door sorry some will will want it tho

tysalem 02-17-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinduda216 (Post 1062002)
needed 2 door sorry some will will want it tho

I'll mention this again. I you really want a good deal on a brand new soft top. Look on Craigslist for dual top take offs. Thats what I did and I got it brand new for 600. You will get the top and bows already assembled(which will save you numerous hours of installation time). Two boxes will come with it with the door surrounds in one and all three windows in the other. I've seen some sold for as little as 300. Just give it a look, you never know what you can find. Oh and be patient, it took me about 3 weeks of looking before the soft top I wanted was posted.

PTaylor 02-17-2011 10:15 AM

Recently got a replacement from Best top. haven't installed it yet, waiting for the weather to get warm enough.

Not impressed with the place I ordered (JC Whitney), the quality of the top, nor the support for it. I wanted something as close as possible to the original. this thing is no where near the original, it's some type of cheap, Chinese knockoff.

It's suppose to be denim, if it's denim, It's some type of denim that's different than any denim top I've ever seen.

I contacted JC Whitney to see what they would say, or should I say, I attempted to, never got anyone. They still had Xmas music playing as of a week ago. I was able to contact via online chat. That top was the best they had to offer as a direct replacement.

I contacted bestop, not sure what's going on there but......I did finally get with someone, they were helpful, but did confirm that the thickness is different. As far as what they described, it seems like I did get the denim top (maybe, I still doubt it) but it does seems like cheap canvas type material, even though the box is labeled as denim.


I'll put it this way, this replacement is so light, so thin, I can toss it around in the box like it weighs nothing. My other top, it has some weight and thickness to it.

I would have even gladly exchanged it for the sailcloth replacement and paid the difference, but....the description of the sailcloth doesn't list denim and without knowing more about it, what I have, what I've gotten myself into..... I'll stay with this one for now and give it a try.


I guess in the end, what I wanted was the same as what I have. but according to Bestop, that isn't going to happen.


I won't be getting another one and will not be recommending it. again, it reminds me of a cheap, Chinese canvas material knockoff.


I need to look into getting a hardtop anyway....

Geoff@Bestop 02-17-2011 12:01 PM

"Denim" tops are - and always have been - made of vinyl cloth. I do not think you would want one made of cotton denim. Even the 1970's Levi's Edition Jeeps used vinyl "denim" for the seats and tops.

Sailcloth is also vinyl cloth (as are all Jeep soft tops, and virtually every convertible top on the market). It is heavier than the standard vinyl. Sailcloth is not available in "denim" print.

PTaylor 02-17-2011 12:33 PM

That's what I was trying to figure out, how to tell the difference between the Denim top and the other tops. I knew it wasn't made of denim, it was texture, but the texture and thickness is much, much different than what I'm replacing, as I thought it would be the same.

brewsnjeeps25 02-17-2011 02:46 PM

I ordered the Bestop Supertop Nx in black diamond for my 2010 2 door. Mostly because there is a special on them and they are almost identical to stock. (sunrider option). I would love to comment on it and tell you how great it is.... but its backordered until spring. But from what i have seen of other bestops they are great quality and good price. Hope to update soon.

patastinky 02-17-2011 03:00 PM

what's a new OEM soft top worth anyways?

sinduda216 02-17-2011 03:35 PM

OEM new is like $1400 . hows the bestop?

raffijeep 02-17-2011 03:57 PM

I heard somewhere that Bestop actually makes them for Jeep. True? Not true?

brewsnjeeps25 02-17-2011 04:23 PM

Mine was about $900 after shipping (I think $833 after Bestop rebate and prior to shipping) for hardware, door surrounds, and all.

InfernoGirl 02-17-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raffijeep (Post 1062677)
I heard somewhere that Bestop actually makes them for Jeep. True? Not true?

True.

Grog 02-17-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 1060744)
I got a brand new OEM top this fall, similar issues... The instructions leave much to be desired, but as mentioned, they're all bestop, so get the one thats most economical. And give yourself plenty of time and cold beer:)

Yes, the install is much longer than they say.

I would not have mentioned the instructions but the bar on the right side which attaches to the header was different than the bar on the left side, and it was not possible to assemble the top at all the way the hardware came from the factory. Had to go to the workshop and alter it so it would attach to the header. It is a supertop, and for the money it cost really aggravates me. If you see my posts I never bash anyone; this is an exception.

tysalem 02-17-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grog (Post 1062831)
Yes, the install is much longer than they say.

I would not have mentioned the instructions but the bar on the right side which attaches to the header was different than the bar on the left side, and it was not possible to assemble the top at all the way the hardware came from the factory. Had to go to the workshop and alter it so it would attach to the header. It is a supertop, and for the money it cost really aggravates me. If you see my posts I never bash anyone; this is an exception.

If you get the OEM soft top from the dual top option, it is already almost assembled. The majority of it is already assembled including the top, header, and bows leaving only a few things left to put together. When I got mine less than a week ago, it only took me an hour to put it on and I couldn't be happier.

If you have the patience, look around for a dual top take off, trust me, you'll spend a lot less money.

JeepRookie 02-24-2011 08:05 PM

I've got the three piece Freedom Top. It would be pretty cool if a company came out with a top just to replace the back part, and work with the two hard panels.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.