Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Heat & Durability Questions For CB Mounting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/heat-and-durability-questions-for-cb-mounting-81107.html)

TexasWheeling 02-19-2011 11:58 PM

Heat & Durability Questions For CB Mounting

I just got my Cobra 29 LTD BT CB radio and I'm trying to figure out where I want to mount it. I'm debating between getting the Arizona Rocky Road overhead mount, or just mounting it on top of the dash just above the stereo. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping y'all could help with.

If I go with the overhead mount, will my CB be too heavy for this mount and bounce around when I'm on the trails? I haven't seen this mount in person, so I'm not sure how sturdy it will be with a larger CB on it.

If I go with the dash mount, should I have any concerns about running the defroster on high heat with the cables for the CB and the back of the unit being blasted with the heat?

Also, should I worry about heat in general when it comes to the CB? I live in Texas and it's close to or over 100 degrees outside for much of the Summer, so would I need to put the CB away and out of the sun during the high temp days?

Thanks in advance for your help!

mingy 02-20-2011 09:24 AM

I would suggest on the rollbar facing forward. You could put a few velcro strips on the top and attach a rectangular piece of aluminum to extend a bit past the front, back, and sides, to give some sun/H2O protection.

It WON'T bounce around there. You can see the channels in the RV mirror. Also there will be a bit of airspace between the top and the shield which should help. Be sure to paint the top WHITE.

If your heart is set on the dash or another type of mount so be it. I would not go with a dash mount myself on a CB that big.

jeffk42 02-22-2011 06:32 AM

Heat might be an issue on the dash, but it will almost certainly mess with your compass if you have it mounted there. From what I've heard, the ARR mount is a good, sturdy option. There seem to be some downsides to it though, from what I can tell.

First, I see you have a hard top. The ARR mount will not fit with the hard top without modification. Now, to see where the CB radio will sit, take off the Freedom Top panels and look on top of the sport bar that runs along the top of each door. You'll see the two holes on each bar that are used to mount the soft top door surrounds. The holes closes to the front are where the ARR bar will mount to. Take your CB (with mount bracket attached), and hold it up as if its bracket were attached to the invisible ARR bar, and you'll see about where the radio will sit.

Some are fine with it, but I find that the radio is too far back for me to see the display and operate the controls easily. I want something that will mount the CB closer to the front windshield.

Also, and this is just personal preference, I think the ARR bar removes an unacceptable percentage of open-air visibility when the top is off.

After all is said and done, though, I'm still looking for a mount myself. The longer I look without any results, the more I think I'm going to have to pay someone to fabricate something for me. Oddly, it's a simple matter to find a bracket for the small radios like the Cobra 19, but not a single manufacturer seems interested in making a full-size bracket.