Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Loud popping, front right side. Help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/loud-popping-front-right-side-help-81479.html)

PatriotTJ 02-22-2011 09:13 AM

Loud popping, front right side. Help!
 
So yet another problem has presented itself since I installed my lift this past weekend. I am getting a loud pop on the driver side front suspension area whenever I go full lock to the right with my steering wheel. It's only when turning to the right and the noise only comes from the DRIVER (left) side.

My initial thought was maybe sway bar link? Or something to do with that? I can't put my finger on it, and it's driving me up the wall! Any insight on the issue would be much appreciated! Thanks in Advance :thumb:

PatriotTJ 02-22-2011 04:52 PM

Anyone??

Rubicon2 02-22-2011 04:56 PM

Crank your wheel all the way to the right and look to see if the tire is hitting anything. After that I would check all connections and joints on the drivers side. Most times after adding a lift, a problem that has been there for awhile becomes magnified by the extra height and stress on a worn out part.

Edit: Something else you could do is go to a parking lot with a buddy and have him do slow circles to the right while you walk by the left front tire to listen for the noise.

TexasT 02-22-2011 11:18 PM

Does it just pop once or does it continue the entire time the wheel is turned?

PatriotTJ 02-23-2011 02:25 PM

I tried having a buddy turn it while I listened, still cant locate it exactly. sounds more like under the middle of the jeep?

And it only pops 1 (one) time when turning to the right only. I'll add that its when moving forward, in reverse, or stationary.

Rubicon2 02-23-2011 03:18 PM

I guess I would look at your trackbar and check the control arm joints. Look and check for looseness in all the front suspension components.

PatriotTJ 02-23-2011 03:20 PM

Would a pitman arm help?

Rubicon2 02-23-2011 03:37 PM

Yeah check the joint where the pitman arm connects to the drag link.

mtbikbob 02-23-2011 03:38 PM

Yes, but that would not explain the popping. find it first. Its one of those connections mentioned above. Track arm, control arms, tire limiter.......

TexasT 02-23-2011 06:43 PM

Check all your TREs by having someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you get under the front and look at the suspension. If they're going out they will often pop but you can see it too. As suggested, the track bar needs to be tight and show no movement at all. The next thing is to have someone get on the passenger or drivers side and rock the jeep and look at all the control arm bushings as well as the rear track bar (sound can be deceiving as to where it's coming from). Also look at the axle ujoints to see if there is movement at the joint. Good luck.

orange05tj 02-23-2011 06:47 PM

i had the same problem a while back (plus many others), took the lift out and sold it. problem solved.

PatriotTJ 02-23-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasT (Post 1077396)
Check all your TREs by having someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you get under the front and look at the suspension. If they're going out they will often pop but you can see it too. As suggested, the track bar needs to be tight and show no movement at all. The next thing is to have someone get on the passenger or drivers side and rock the jeep and look at all the control arm bushings as well as the rear track bar (sound can be deceiving as to where it's coming from). Also look at the axle ujoints to see if there is movement at the joint. Good luck.

TREs?? Sorry not sure what that means? I will be checking all of these things tomorrow as well. Thanks for your help

TexasT 02-23-2011 07:08 PM

TRE=Tie Rod Ends.

PatriotTJ 02-23-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasT (Post 1077460)
TRE=Tie Rod Ends.

Ahhh thank you. Could needing an alignment bring up any issues? I am waiting to align it when I put my new wheels and tires on.

TexasT 02-23-2011 07:24 PM

An alignment can always bring up issues because most check tolerances and measured settings so if they are off there is something wrong. I have diagnosed so many problems just by doing the simple two tests I provided above. Turning the wheel and rocking the jeep. My wife has gotten very good at both...she really rocks!

PatriotTJ 02-23-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasT (Post 1077497)
An alignment can always bring up issues because most check tolerances and measured settings so if they are off there is something wrong. I have diagnosed so many problems just by doing the simple two tests I provided above. Turning the wheel and rocking the jeep. My wife has gotten very good at both...she really rocks!

Thanks so much again. This forum has been very helpful to me.

so could an alignment maybe rid me of this problem possibly? or just bring the problem to the surface so i can fix it?

Either way I'll be getting an alignment within the next week.

2002Apex 02-23-2011 07:55 PM

had the same problem with my jeep after lift. i installed a 4in skyjacker with skyjacker adj trackbar. the track bar was the last to go on and i didnt have time to do all the fine tune adjustments. come to find out i was like 1.5" off (left to right) in my front end alignment. it was causing it to pop on the driver side. never figured out where though. anyways, i finally unbolted the track bar and adjusted it appropriately and bolted it back up and no more popping. good luck.

PatriotTJ 02-23-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002Apex (Post 1077595)
had the same problem with my jeep after lift. i installed a 4in skyjacker with skyjacker adj trackbar. the track bar was the last to go on and i didnt have time to do all the fine tune adjustments. come to find out i was like 1.5" off (left to right) in my front end alignment. it was causing it to pop on the driver side. never figured out where though. anyways, i finally unbolted the track bar and adjusted it appropriately and bolted it back up and no more popping. good luck.

Again I'm a noob, but you mean the rear track bar? if not how do i adjust the front?

PatriotTJ 02-23-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatriotTJ (Post 1077799)
Again I'm a noob, but you mean the rear track bar? if not how do i adjust the front?

Never mind. I'm assuming you mean the front. I found a picture so I know what you mean now. How do I fix that if its not adjustable?

mtbikbob 02-24-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatriotTJ (Post 1077809)
Never mind. I'm assuming you mean the front. I found a picture so I know what you mean now. How do I fix that if its not adjustable?

You want to make sure that the connections to the track arm are tight and there is no movement there.

I am suspecting that the popping your hearing is more likely from a control arm bushing that is not working properly. Either broken or not fitted correctly. Yeah, its going to take some time to find it, but you may have to take them apart one by one and inspect them till you find the offender.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.