Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   dash cluster problems! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/dash-cluster-problems-8148.html)

fr87hn 05-19-2007 02:31 PM

dash cluster problems!

Alrighty, well ive had this problem since i got the vehicle. The different gauges and needles on the dash dont seem to work properly. First of all, the RPM gauge always stays at around 350-400 no matter how fast the engine is really moving. It never moves what so ever. The Speedometer does not reflect smooth acceleration. When i go from 50-70 for example. It will go smoothly up to 55, stop, then jump up to 70 when i get there. Also, a new thing thats been happening is perhaps 1 in 20 times i start the car, the gas gauge stays below empty and the light goes on, if I drive it for a while it gradually goes up to where it is supposed to be. Also, if i turn it off and restart it, many times it will also go up to where its supposed to be. Thanks dudes !

Triple88a 05-19-2007 03:12 PM

Wow thats interesting.. (in a sad way) I'm guessing some bad resistors inside the cluster? If you have a buddy with a same wrangler as yours id swap clusters to see if its any different.. i've NEVER seen or heard of such problems :S Usually its the rpm thats dead (bad ground) or speedo thats off (maybe gear) but thats it..

JCS05Rubi 05-19-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr87hn (Post 83538)
Alrighty, well ive had this problem since i got the vehicle. The different gauges and needles on the dash dont seem to work properly. First of all, the RPM gauge always stays at around 350-400 no matter how fast the engine is really moving. It never moves what so ever. The Speedometer does not reflect smooth acceleration. When i go from 50-70 for example. It will go smoothly up to 55, stop, then jump up to 70 when i get there. Also, a new thing thats been happening is perhaps 1 in 20 times i start the car, the gas gauge stays below empty and the light goes on, if I drive it for a while it gradually goes up to where it is supposed to be. Also, if i turn it off and restart it, many times it will also go up to where its supposed to be. Thanks dudes !

The fuel gauge problem I had in my 97 before the fuel pump went. Although even after the new fuel pump was replaced, it never really worked 100% but it was better. 97s have a wacky fuel gauge problem. You dont have a 97 by chance do ya?

Yank your instrument panel out and make sure the connector on the back is getting real good connection and go from there. Swaping clusters is also a good idea.

fr87hn 05-22-2007 06:01 PM

Mines a 2000. If i swap clusters, doesnt that take my mileage away also? All im looking to do is fix the RPM. i dont much care about the gas

nascardude68 05-22-2007 07:14 PM

ive got a 97 and my gas guage does the same thing. been doing it for about a year now.

Triple88a 05-22-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr87hn (Post 84465)
Mines a 2000. If i swap clusters, doesnt that take my mileage away also? All im looking to do is fix the RPM. i dont much care about the gas

i wouldnt think so because if it does then the milage of the car would be reset each time battery is removed or disconected. I think its possibly in the ecu or something there with a battery of its own.