Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Speaker Audio Foam (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/speaker-audio-foam-81498.html)

Groove60 02-22-2011 12:41 PM

Speaker Audio Foam
 
Hey everyone. First post so just going to say you guys rock as I have followed many of your write ups for various things for my Jeep and have always figured it out thanks to your help. I am going forward with upgrading my two front dash speakers to 5.25 as my left stock speaker has been blown out. I have the adapters and everything I need. The only question I have is: Would you recommend a foam or any other material to put behind the speaker to help shoot the sound forward? If so, where could I find some to get the job done? I don't know if it would help any, but these are the brackets I currently have.

Amazon.com: Speaker Bracket Pair for Jeep TJ / Wrangler 1997-UP MTX JTJ514B: Electronics

Thanks!

silver165 02-22-2011 12:56 PM

not sure how much it helped but i put some left over dynamat i had behind the speaker. i didn't try it without it so not sure if it makes a diffrence

Neil F. 02-22-2011 01:19 PM

Just stuff some baffling in the dash behind the speaker. Go to a fabric store and pick up some pillow stuffing material.

jgorm 02-22-2011 02:02 PM

If you are going to run a speaker with no box, it will sound like crap unless you can isolate the wave off the back from the wave off the front by about 4 speaker diameters.

Groove60 02-22-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorm (Post 1074023)
If you are going to run a speaker with no box, it will sound like crap unless you can isolate the wave off the back from the wave off the front by about 4 speaker diameters.

A speaker with no box? Do you mean a baffle to go behind the speaker? Sorry, I'm not the audio junkie type :P

kjeeper10 02-22-2011 06:03 PM

Yes yes yes..... I made my own plates to hold 4 in comp. And I used an old couch foam and stuffed it behind the best I could. I've never read or seen this done.
It works!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using WF Access

jgorm 02-22-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groove60 (Post 1074598)
A speaker with no box? Do you mean a baffle to go behind the speaker? Sorry, I'm not the audio junkie type :P

A lot of the adapters eliminate the stock speaker box to fit larger speakers like the 5.25". IMO going to a larger speaker, with no box is a big mistake.

kjeeper10 02-22-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Yes yes yes..... I made my own plates to hold 4 in comp. And I used an old couch foam and stuffed it behind the best I could. I've never read or seen this done.
It works!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using WF Access

Works great... Again 4 inch components

Sent from my iPhone 4 using WF Access


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.