Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   sway bar link replacement. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/sway-bar-link-replacement-81630.html)

straight muddin 02-23-2011 08:36 AM

sway bar link replacement.

well i was wondering how hard it is to replace the sawy bar link. im pretty goog with engine work, i fix my dirtbike all the time, fix cars.. how hard is it?

Dockman4 02-23-2011 12:42 PM

Super easy. Mine had a broken sway bar link when I bought it. Pretty inexpensive and took me all of 10 minutes to change it. If you work on engines, this will be a breeze for you. Do yourself a favor, if you can afford it, and go with quick disconnects. I didn't and now I've got to change mine again. Stock sway bar links cost me I think $35, and you can get disco's for around a $100 or less. Come to think of it, there are several write ups on here about how to make homemade disco's. Just look in the search bar for it.:thumb:

straight muddin 02-23-2011 03:38 PM

thanks.. can i still drive it with the sway bar broken until my part comes in or will it beak something else?

Dockman4 02-23-2011 04:30 PM

Nope, you won't break anything else, you're good. I drove mine for about 2 weeks before someone (that knows Jeeps) drove it, and told me I had an issue. Like I said, I just thought that's the way they drove. Big difference on cornering after it was fixed though, so just take it easy.

straight muddin 02-23-2011 06:53 PM

thanks for the help.

tazmangk 03-24-2011 12:31 PM

how do you get the top bolts out to put on disco's? pulled the cotter pins and nuts...can't get the bolt off......

dmacioce 03-24-2011 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some people say to use a pickle fork type of tie rod separator, but this didn't work for me, because the tapered bolt was really jammed in there pretty good. I ended up using this tool (see pic below).

After having done this, I would not recommend using the pickle fork, because you can damage the bushing on the end link. Not a big deal if you're replacing a broken part, but I was actually hoping to sell mine or at least save it so I could put the Jeep back to stock later when I sell it.

straight muddin 03-25-2011 08:31 AM

yea, i tried using a fork too but all it did was damange the end of the bolt but all i did was dw40 the bolt for like 2 days twice a day and it slipped right out.

mrobinso 10-26-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmacioce (Post 1135671)
Some people say to use a pickle fork type of tie rod separator, but this didn't work for me, because the tapered bolt was really jammed in there pretty good. I ended up using this tool (see pic below).

After having done this, I would not recommend using the pickle fork, because you can damage the bushing on the end link. Not a big deal if you're replacing a broken part, but I was actually hoping to sell mine or at least save it so I could put the Jeep back to stock later when I sell it.

What is this tool?

Slater451 10-26-2012 01:24 PM

I use a tie rod end puller the smaller of the two basic sizes they come In. Works great for me when I have to change one Also works great for the steering dampener stud end!