Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Can't decide 275/70/17 or 285/70/17

34K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  ULAlum93 
#1 ·
Need help deciding between a BFG AT 275/70/17 or a Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17. These will be going on a 08 stock 4 door sahara auto with the 17" moab wheels. Which will be best with the stock set up with no mods. I want to stock as well. Thanks for the help

#2 ·
Both are great choices. I love my 285's and the very slight rub didn't bother me really but I did end up getting wheel spacers in the end and even though 275's will not rub and won't need wheel spacers in the end a new wheel with better backspacing or wheel spacers gives you more choices and looks great because your tires don't hide as much under the fender

#15 ·
JWS I really like them. They do not rub, but again i don't do any serious off roading. I've had them in the snow in the virginia mountains and they did fine. They are pretty quite on the road. I paid $1,600 OTD for five at my local Jeep dealer. This included recalibration of my computer so the TPMS would function properly.

#16 ·
JWS I really like them. They do not rub, but again i don't do any serious off roading. I've had them in the snow in the virginia mountains and they did fine. They are pretty quite on the road. I paid $1,600 OTD for five at my local Jeep dealer. This included recalibration of my computer so the TPMS would function properly.
Oh ok cool thats a pretty good deal I think for 5. Can you elaborate a little more on the recalibration. I've never heard of a recalibartion for the TPMS..

#17 ·
my jeep is a 2011. the 285/70/17s are almost an inch taller in dia than the stock 255/70/17s. the tech that mountd them told me that the 11s have two settings for tire size and he set it at the larger size after mounting the 285s. he used a hand held device and plugged it in under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. you can see the port there. my TPMS is working fine(no light).

#18 ·
I don't think that's quite right.

My understanding is that what the tech did was recalibrate your speedometer, so that it's calculation of speed (distance covered per unit of time) based of the wheel spin will be accurate. A vehicle on 31" tires will travel less distance per rotation than a vehicle on 33" tires.

Your TPMS however will self-calibrate and automatically adjusts to new tire sizes. Pixie dust I think.

#21 ·
ESP123 said:
You are correct sir and for the record... a service department can calibrate your computer to any size tire not just two.
No they cant calibrate anything past a 33 last time I checked, atleast they will tell you that they cant.

#22 ·
ncossey said:
. . atleast they will tell you that they cant.
I think that's it. Surely they've got the technology--heck a ProCal would do it. I think they've either been told not to do it or their equipment has been "limited" somehow. Whatever drives it, most dealer techs seem compelled to stick with stock sizes. (Were the sizes that started this little tangent stock?? I don't think so . . . .)

#23 ·
MTH said:
I think that's it. Surely they've got the technology--heck a ProCal would do it. I think they've either been told not to do it or their equipment has been "limited" somehow. Whatever drives it, most dealer techs seem compelled to stick with stock sizes. (Were the sizes that started this little tangent stock?? I don't think so . . . .)
Ive found that chrysler says that cant do a lot of things that they really can.

#24 ·
this is what i know: my jeep came with 32s. i had 33s installed and the tpms light came on(correct tire pressure). the tech recalibrated it as i stated above, and now the speedo is accurate(gps) and the tpms functioning properly. i'm satisfied. also, this dealer installs lifts, larger tires(35s) and a lot of offroad stuff under the warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.