Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   hood (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hood-81706.html)

kawasakizx636 02-23-2011 05:06 PM

hood
 
hey guys, i was in an accident on jan 21st, and finally received my jeep back today. Took a long time since they were waiting for the bumper "from northridge 4x4". they are actually still waiting for it. So i told them to put the smashed one back on, so i can drive it. My question is, how much play is there on the hood adjustments? At the time of the accident. My hood shifted "that's what i think", and even after they adjusted it, it's still not perfect. One side is flush with the fender, but the other side seems to stick out past the fender. I'm guessing they adjusted it as good as they can, so i'm thinking there might be something twisted. My driver side door also needed to be adjusted, so i'm sure the body shifted a bit. I asked the bodyshop and they said that they don't see any structural damage. What you guys think?

bamajeeper 02-23-2011 05:10 PM

I would take it to another Body shop and get their opinion.

kawasakizx636 02-23-2011 05:25 PM

That's what i was thinking, but i'm gonna wait till they install my bumper first. They said they're gonna take another look at it. Sux, since my jeep doesn't even have 7k on it. I hate accidents, i'm not at fault and now i'm stuck with a vehicle that's been in an accident :(

kik 02-23-2011 05:51 PM

If you're dealing with your insurance company you should be complaining to them. That type of repair can not be acceptable. You should not have a crooked hood or anything else. Was the body shop your choice or were they referred to you? Think of it this way; there is no way you'll be able to sell it or trade it in down the road like that with an unacceptable repair without you practically giving it away because it wasn't repaired correctly the first time. I know you want your Jeep back, but taking it back in that condition regarding the hood and even a damaged bumper will cause you problems later on. If there actually wasn't that much damage, or even if there was, a good shop would be able to repair it correctly. However, since it seems like you accepted it in that condition you might be limited on what you can do now. You definately need another opinion from a shop that knows what they are doing.

kawasakizx636 02-23-2011 06:06 PM

Trust me, i didn't want the jeep back with my damaged bumper, but, i don't want to wait another week "maybe longer" to get it back. They did all the work expect mount the bumper. I haven't had it for over a month. The shop that worked on the jeep, was my choice, not the referred shop. The shop that i chose, was the dealership. It's brand new, so i'd like the dealership to work on it. I heard many bad things about the shop that i was referred to. As for the hood, i didn't notice it till my father pointed it out. It's not crooked real bad, but i'm being picky since the jeep is brand new. I'm gonna take a drive there tomorrow and show them the hood, i told them over the phone but couldn't go there since they were about to close.

JeeperJake 02-23-2011 07:00 PM

The neatest body-frame shop I've ever seen, used a laser alignment gizmo under the rig, which measured instantly and exactly to .01" the important location tabs on the frame. From that, all other issues of body panels & etc can be settled properly.

This technology has been in advanced body shops for at LEAST 10 years. Hunt one up and see what they can tell you....just for comparison before you sign off on your repair.

RB-10rubicon 02-23-2011 07:04 PM

Sorry to hear bro i work for a dealer in the parts dept and deal with body shops all the time theses guys want to do it as cheap as possible and realing the hood is probally not in there budget the man hours to do .dont ecept any thing but perfect if your hood is not lining up sounds like they used and aftermarket hood ask ? To see what they used ...good luck with it glad that your ok thats what important

kawasakizx636 02-23-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RB-10rubicon (Post 1077447)
Sorry to hear bro i work for a dealer in the parts dept and deal with body shops all the time theses guys want to do it as cheap as possible and realing the hood is probally not in there budget the man hours to do .dont ecept any thing but perfect if your hood is not lining up sounds like they used and aftermarket hood ask ? To see what they used ...good luck with it glad that your ok thats what important

thx for the reply, as for using an aftermarket hood... they didn't change the hood, they just re-painted it, the paint was a lil chipped from broken glass.
The aev bumper, took the crash on it's own, very strong bumper. I'm sure if i had the original bumper, most of the front end would have had to been changed. Only thing that they had to do, was replace windshield "cracked from impact", fender flare, bumper and ipf 900xs light. Headlights, hood, rad....weren't damaged. Driver side door and hood needed to be adjusted. I'm hoping to see the new bumper come in next week sometime. I've chatted with northridge 4x4 a few times, and they're having issues with their order. They should be expecting the bumper next week, i hope they ship it overnight once they get it, but i'm thinking i'm gonna have to wait an extra week :(

kawasakizx636 02-23-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeperJake (Post 1077437)
The neatest body-frame shop I've ever seen, used a laser alignment gizmo under the rig, which measured instantly and exactly to .01" the important location tabs on the frame. From that, all other issues of body panels & etc can be settled properly.

This technology has been in advanced body shops for at LEAST 10 years. Hunt one up and see what they can tell you....just for comparison before you sign off on your repair.

I've never heard of that, but i'll look into it. I've spoke to people about frame damage, and they say that since jeeps have a solid frame and not a unibody, u can easily tell if it's damaged. The dealer told me a few times that there isn't any structural damage, but also said that it doesn't mean that the body didn't shift. At the time of the accident, i was really hoping that they were gonna write it off :(

kawasakizx636 02-26-2011 08:53 PM

Shifter noise
 
I'm not sure how much help i'll get asking this question in this thread, but i didn't wanna start a new one. My jeeps shifter just started making noises going from first to second, and sometimes third to second. It makes a cracking, notchy noise. Here's a lil clip of what's going on.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...shifter001.jpg

mitymouse 02-26-2011 09:15 PM

A good shop would have made sure panel fitment was as good or better then new, if the repairs are done right you should not be able to tell it was ever wrecked, I cant imagine how an impact hard enough to need a door adjustment would not have any structure damage. body shops go by book time meaning their guys only get paid for the amount of time the book says they should be able to complete the repair in, so you might have to stand your ground alittle to get them to make the repair right. your insurance paid for the repair to be done right then it should be done right.
good luck

kawasakizx636 02-27-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitymouse (Post 1085036)
A good shop would have made sure panel fitment was as good or better then new, if the repairs are done right you should not be able to tell it was ever wrecked, I cant imagine how an impact hard enough to need a door adjustment would not have any structure damage. body shops go by book time meaning their guys only get paid for the amount of time the book says they should be able to complete the repair in, so you might have to stand your ground alittle to get them to make the repair right. your insurance paid for the repair to be done right then it should be done right.
good luck

i'm gonna keep bugging them till it's right. i know my jeep was perfect before the accident. There's still a bunch of glass in my dash, i can hear it slide from side to side everytime i turn. And now this shifter problem is driving me nutz, i'm gonna call them tomorrow, and see what they say. Anyone have any ideas what can be causing this?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.