Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   Questions concerning lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/questions-concerning-lift-81931.html)

ncossey 02-24-2011 10:48 PM

Questions concerning lift

Friends!

Gonna resume dropping doe into the money pit starting the middle of march. Right now I am running a 2 inch spacer lift, 35s, and chopped fenders, which works out fine offroad, but I really feel like I am outgrowing the factory suspension. In march I am having some Gussets welded on my front Cs, and getting new 35s, and I am also debating on pulling the trigger on a 3 inch zone offroad lift. I really like their products, its all made by BDS right here in the good ole US of A. Now after the backdrop, here is my real question.

Do you guys think I could run a 3 inch lift on a factory driveshaft, or will 3 inches destroy it? I get my jeep offroad pretty often, but I am also extremely persistent with performing maintenance, and I haven't seen anything starting to wear and tear at 70,000 Miles.

Another question - When I have the shop weld on the gussets, will they have to remove my ball joints to avoid heat damage, cause if so I think I am gonna go ahead and have them put in some new ball joints (need some good aftermarket greaseable ones too!)

Thanks for your time and I look forward to the input!

rics1997 02-24-2011 11:55 PM

I think 3" is like putting 285's on. Depending on the brand the lift can be a little higher then some other lifts. Since Zone is made by BDS you may be fine but I hate to recommend it knowing that fatal angle is possible starting at 3". But my off-road shop uses 3" BDS and claims they never had a fatal angle with BDS 3".

ncossey 02-25-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997
I think 3" is like putting 285's on. Depending on the brand the lift can be a little higher then some other lifts. Since Zone is made by BDS you may be fine but I hate to recommend it knowing that fatal angle is possible starting at 3". But my off-road shop uses 3" BDS and claims they never had a fatal angle with BDS 3".

Very good info, I assume as with most lifts there will be some sag, and I have some heavy metal on my jk so Im sure it will sag some.

daggo66 02-25-2011 06:35 AM

You might be safe if you have a manual transmission. The automatics can't handle as high a lift because of something that rubs the driveshaft. I don't remember what it is but it's in that article.

I would definitely replace the ball joints while they're out. I read a lot about stock ball joint failure due to the added stress of 35's.

ncossey 02-25-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66
You might be safe if you have a manual transmission. The automatics can't handle as high a lift because of something that rubs the driveshaft. I don't remember what it is but it's in that article.

I would definitely replace the ball joints while they're out. I read a lot about stock ball joint failure due to the added stress of 35's.

Definitely rocking an auto, I believe the issue you were talking about is the front driveshaft hitting the tranny skid plate, which can be notched to work.