Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   '03 Rubicon Lift Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/03-rubicon-lift-question-82201.html)

wyojeep1961 02-26-2011 08:38 PM

'03 Rubicon Lift Question
 
Need some clarificaiton from the experts. I just got a stock '03 Rubicon that I was considering putting a 2" lift on. Until I found out that the Rubi is already lifted 1.5"? vs a stock TJ and the 2" lift would only net .5". Is that the case and does anyone know what the new Rubi ground to body measurements were with 31" tires? Thanks for the help.

Rubicon2 02-26-2011 08:43 PM

Nope no lift on a stock Rubicon its just a little stiffer spring. With that said a good 2" lift is the Old Man Emu. Not sure on the body measurements.

wyojeep1961 02-26-2011 08:56 PM

So if I decide to go with a 2" lift such as the OME lift, I would get 2" of lift from the suspension kit over where I am now. I had been considering the OME lift or the Teraflex lift to get the 2" lift. Just don't want to lift too much and have to deal with the geometry issues.

Rubicon2 02-27-2011 12:20 AM

I have the OME lift on mine with no issues. Everything needed came in the kit. I bought mine from Quadratec but others will tell you you can get it cheaper else where. I got the heavy duty springs because I just installed a winch and have a hardtop in the winter and to help out when I have gear loaded in the back. I run 32" tires with no problems of rubbing in the fenders at full flex. Its a very good suspension system.

wyojeep1961 02-27-2011 05:30 PM

So when you added the OME lift, how much actual lift did you get vs. the stock height?

Rubicon2 02-27-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyojeep1961
So when you added the OME lift, how much actual lift did you get vs. the stock height?

That's a great question and I wished I could tell you but I didn't do any before and after measurements or they are written down in the instructions and I have no idea where they're at. lol I do believe the kit said 2-2.5" and I am pretty sure I got around 2" when all was said and done. It was noticeable and my 32's fit alot better than they did at stock height. OME recommends max tire size be no more than 32".

Tomb Raider 02-27-2011 07:04 PM

I would be very curious to the end of this as I have an 03 stock too, and want to a 2-3" lift! PLEASE post info after all is said an done! Good luck!

kjeeper10 02-27-2011 07:05 PM

I bought a set of moabs off a guy on craigslist. When I was at his house my tj sport and his tj rubicon sat side by side. My jeep with a 2" BB was taller then his. there was a very noticeable height difference.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using WF Access

wyojeep1961 02-27-2011 08:09 PM

Thanks for the additional info. When I make a decision and get a lift, I'll post before and after pics and measurements. Think I'm leaning toward the OME 2" lift.

Rubicon2 02-27-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyojeep1961
Thanks for the additional info. When I make a decision and get a lift, I'll post before and after pics and measurements. Think I'm leaning toward the OME 2" lift.

It's a good lift. I have no disappointments with it what-so-ever.

wyojeep1961 03-04-2011 02:21 PM

I have a little more information and measurements from my Rubicon and two other stock TJ's.

My Stock 2003 Rubicon Hard Top - no lift

Tire Height - 29.75"
Ground to rocker below door - 19"
Ground to front flare bottom - 33"
Ground to rear flare bottom - 33.5"

1999 Stock TJ Soft Top - no lift

Tire Height - 28" Diff of .875" vs Rubicon
Compensated ground to rocker below door - 19.125"
Compensated ground to front flare bottom - 32.625"
Compensated ground to rear flare bottom - 34.375"

2002 Stock TJ Hard Top - no lift

Tire Height - 31" Diff of .625" vs Rubicon
Compensated ground to rocker below door - 18.875"
Compensated ground to front flare bottom - 33.375"
Compensated ground to rear flare bottom - 34.375"

Overall I would have to say the subtle differences are related to simply the differences in the Jeeps histories. I don't believe there is any additional lift in the Rubicon package vs. the stock TJ other than tire height. So, I am going to pursue getting the OME lift and do expect to see a 2" lift gain after putting it on.

argenwler 07-04-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyojeep1961 (Post 1096664)
I have a little more information and measurements from my Rubicon and two other stock TJ's.

My Stock 2003 Rubicon Hard Top - no lift

Tire Height - 29.75"
Ground to rocker below door - 19"
Ground to front flare bottom - 33"
Ground to rear flare bottom - 33.5"

1999 Stock TJ Soft Top - no lift

Tire Height - 28" Diff of .875" vs Rubicon
Compensated ground to rocker below door - 19.125"
Compensated ground to front flare bottom - 32.625"
Compensated ground to rear flare bottom - 34.375"

2002 Stock TJ Hard Top - no lift

Tire Height - 31" Diff of .625" vs Rubicon
Compensated ground to rocker below door - 18.875"
Compensated ground to front flare bottom - 33.375"
Compensated ground to rear flare bottom - 34.375"

Overall I would have to say the subtle differences are related to simply the differences in the Jeeps histories. I don't believe there is any additional lift in the Rubicon package vs. the stock TJ other than tire height. So, I am going to pursue getting the OME lift and do expect to see a 2" lift gain after putting it on.

Thanks for take your time and post this measurements!
It helped me find out how many inches is my '03 Ruby recently bought.
It's in needs of new shocks and this helped me to find out I have a 2.25 lifted (probably is a 2.5 lift kit).

PStov98TJ 07-04-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyojeep1961 (Post 1096664)
I have a little more information and measurements from my Rubicon and two other stock TJ's.

My Stock 2003 Rubicon Hard Top - no lift

Tire Height - 29.75"
Ground to rocker below door - 19"
Ground to front flare bottom - 33"
Ground to rear flare bottom - 33.5"

1999 Stock TJ Soft Top - no lift

Tire Height - 28" Diff of .875" vs Rubicon
Compensated ground to rocker below door - 19.125"
Compensated ground to front flare bottom - 32.625"
Compensated ground to rear flare bottom - 34.375"

2002 Stock TJ Hard Top - no lift

Tire Height - 31" Diff of .625" vs Rubicon
Compensated ground to rocker below door - 18.875"
Compensated ground to front flare bottom - 33.375"
Compensated ground to rear flare bottom - 34.375"

Overall I would have to say the subtle differences are related to simply the differences in the Jeeps histories. I don't believe there is any additional lift in the Rubicon package vs. the stock TJ other than tire height. So, I am going to pursue getting the OME lift and do expect to see a 2" lift gain after putting it on.

What do you mean "compensated" when you're talking about those measurements?

TheDesertOutlaw 07-04-2013 01:37 PM

2003! The greatest year of the Rubicon! :thumb:

Jeep Rubicon Commercial - YouTube

Scamp 07-04-2013 01:55 PM

[IMG]http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...-21_144130.jpg[/IMG]
One on the left is a Rubicon, and the other is a TJ, both stock height at the time


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.