Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Full framed doors question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/full-framed-doors-question-8227.html)

RipStop 05-22-2007 01:31 PM

Full framed doors question

Okay, I'm new to the whole full framed doors thing. I just bought a 4-door JK and I was trying to take the doors off this weekend but my big hands were unable to unplug the wiring harness on the door to disconnect the power locks/windows. Does anyone know an easy way to disconnect these? I'm afraid I'm going to snap the plastic retaining clips off and the manual isn't very helpful.:confused:

-RipStop

Vector6 05-22-2007 05:26 PM

cut them...

no TJ ever came from the factory with power windows/locks...

install some disconnects in the wires you cut

AzTJ 05-22-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector6 (Post 84458)
cut them...

NOOOO!!!! ITS A NEW 2007 4-Door JK! They do come with power windows and locks as an option.

I'd look at project-jk.com - he might have a writeup on there or in his forums.

Vector6 05-22-2007 07:29 PM

oops..... my bad... I should learn to read sometime.......

(but you can still cut them ;) )

Absolute Offroad 05-22-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector6 (Post 84458)
cut them...

If you look under there, there is a little red locking clip that needs to be slid to the side FIRST to remove the harness. Move the RED locking clip, then squeeze the connecter and remove the plug. My god, for all reasons Dont cut the wire.:D Why would someone even SUGGEST that????:eek:

Joe

RipStop 05-22-2007 09:28 PM

Thanks

OH! Its so simple!!! You would think that the manual would mention something about that... it only says "unplug the wiring harness". Thanks! :)

JCS05Rubi 05-22-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RipStop (Post 84541)
OH! Its so simple!!! You would think that the manual would mention something about that... it only says "unplug the wiring harness". Thanks! :)

Wire connectors are a PITA. There are roughly 100000000000 of them, and all unplug in their own quirky ways, which means that unless you work on the same car every day, you are basically garunteed to break a connector or two messing with something :) My best advice when it comes to connectors of any kind, is to be gentle, and if it doesnt pop off fairly easily and quickly, there is some quirkey saftey lock you are over looking. A small nipple holding them together, a flap, a T snap thing, something holding it together that will break easily, and will cause numerous problems when it does :D

Glade you got it figured out. I am dying for a pic of the new 4 door with the doors/top off. Care to oblogue me? :p

Jeepluv07 05-25-2007 10:38 AM

It only took me about 45 min to figure out the red lock. Especially since its really hard for a big guy like myself to get under and see the connection.