Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Roof Rack for 2011 2dr Wrangler..what gives? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/roof-rack-for-2011-2dr-wrangler-what-gives-82374.html)

CF2010 02-28-2011 02:30 AM

Roof Rack for 2011 2dr Wrangler..what gives?

I bought a 2011 Wrangler hoping to buy a "nice looking" roof rack and throw my 10 ft. punt up there. do you think I can find a roof rack for it?. I have been searching the internet high and low and can find toilet paper with the"Jeep" logo on it...but roof rack...good luck. I like the Smittybilt SRC roof rack but they don't have it yet. no luck with MBRP, Olympic and GOBI...a little too expensive. Most racks out there have you adding racks or drilling holes into Freedom tops. In the summer, I plan on taking of my Freedom top and switching to soft top. I would like to buy the Smittybilt or something close. There are a few out there that look cheap and not as rugged as smitty. Any ideas out there?

Droelle 02-28-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CF2010
I bought a 2011 Wrangler hoping to buy a "nice looking" roof rack and throw my 10 ft. punt up there. do you think I can find a roof rack for it?. I have been searching the internet high and low and can find toilet paper with the"Jeep" logo on it...but roof rack...good luck. I like the Smittybilt SRC roof rack but they don't have it yet. no luck with MBRP, Olympic and GOBI...a little too expensive. Most racks out there have you adding racks or drilling holes into Freedom tops. In the summer, I plan on taking of my Freedom top and switching to soft top. I would like to buy the Smittybilt or something close. There are a few out there that look cheap and not as rugged as smitty. Any ideas out there?

I like Gobi. But yeah your right high as hell!

Sent from my thread killing droid!

Wolf1 02-28-2011 09:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I put on a Kargomaster Congo cage with safari basket, pretty heavy duty, and less $ than MBRP. I have it for my 2010 unlimited and I got their biggest one so I'm sure it's considerably less for a 2 door. It doesn't touch the freedom top, goes into the factory bolts @ front windows and into the rear bumpers. You might be able to just get away with the Congo cage w/o basket. Check Quadratec or 4WD websites. Good luck. (Remember this does add some considerable noise while driving and weight)

CF2010 02-28-2011 01:10 PM

Thanks Wolf for the info and pics. your rig looks good. That is what I am looking for.

Wolf1 02-28-2011 06:25 PM

Thx CF and no prob. BTW, be wary of the height also, I got stuck in an indoor parking lot when I went to the city! Looks like it'll fit but it's JUST short about an inch. Park outside!

ghendrix6 03-01-2011 04:52 AM

This is the best deal I have found.

Garage Pro Garage Pro SRC Style Jeep Wrangler Roof Racks - JCWhitney

$299.00 bucks (2 door) is a pretty good deal and it looks well built.

dystynkt 03-01-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghendrix6 (Post 1089575)
This is the best deal I have found.

Garage Pro Garage Pro SRC Style Jeep Wrangler Roof Racks - JCWhitney

$299.00 bucks (2 door) is a pretty good deal and it looks well built.

That looks pretty nice for the price. Wonder if anyone has first hand experience with it.

ghendrix6 03-01-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dystynkt (Post 1090109)
That looks pretty nice for the price. Wonder if anyone has first hand experience with it.

Here is another posters comments on the Garage Pro rack. If you search for Garagpro, you will find the thread and a pic of his rig.

I just installed a roofrack by GaragePro from JC Whitney, got it with a 20% discount for $271 plus shipping which raised it to about $377. Holds up to 350 lbs and I have two 13 ft touring kayaks that fit perfectly side by side on top. It comes with 4 cross bars that the kayaks sit on which are easily removed with round screw knobs.
The bad news is it rattles on very bumpy roads like the mountains I drive on in Denver area. Also I went from 22mpg on highway to 19. Plus the wind noise since the frame is 2" black piping. I was told to take it apart and put silicone on the fittings where the rattling noises are coming from.

SFBayArea 03-03-2011 01:57 AM

I am too looking for the roof rack, however, I want to have a freedom of taking off my hard top as quick as possible, hence, avoid additional dismount of the roof rack.
I was looking into this rack:
Garvin Industries 44014 - Garvin Industries Sport Series Track Rack for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with Hard Top - Quadratec
But can't find any first hand photos or reviews :(

retriever 03-03-2011 07:11 PM

how did you get 20% off?

ghendrix6 - how did you get 20% off? shipping is brutal on this rack, any little bit would help. Thanks.

ps. I joined this forum just to ask this question.

ghendrix6 03-03-2011 07:24 PM

I did not get 20% off. That was a comment that I cut and pasted from a different thread. I have not decided yet.

retriever 03-03-2011 07:32 PM

rats. That would have helped. Thanks.

JeeperJake 03-03-2011 09:03 PM

A buddy put a "Congo cage" on his a couple years ago.

He said it works good and installed easily....but his does make wind noise too. Don't know what he paid for it.

Personally I like the little WW2 style ammo trailers.

JIMBOX 03-03-2011 09:14 PM

:whistling: Really to bad you discount the quality/cost of the MBRP rack, cause you can getit as complete as you want it-

There's no noise/rattle/groan and will support over 700lbs-you can get a basket and front windshield support/light mount bar-

Mines just the simple rack

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...2-01-11067.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...xcooler004.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/PICT0099.jpg

It makes the top removal very easy and with a hoist, it's a one man/woman job !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Three Eleven420 08-30-2011 11:30 PM

Damn DRILLING!

I got a body color hard-top.. No drilling please! haha