Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   flat black spray paint? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/flat-black-spray-paint-82417.html)

rd-wrangler 02-28-2011 11:54 AM

flat black spray paint?

Im going to end up spraying my jeep flat black when the warm weather comes. The owner before painted it some kind of flat black using spray cans im guessing. Im just wondering for you jeepers who spray canned your jeeps flat black what brand did you use? and was type did you use?

thanks

jwm1986 02-28-2011 12:03 PM

Best spray paint I have found to date is the Rustoleum Professional series. Comes in flat, semi-metalllic, and gloss. The professional series primer is also pretty good stuff, nice and thick.

RustOleum.com

YJGrunt 02-28-2011 06:45 PM

never tried Rustoleum Professional Series but i use Krylon camouflage. comes in ultra flat black, ultra flat OD Green, and ultra flat Tan. check my pictures in my build thread and check the center of the hood, and hinges for the result of light sanding and a few coats.

good luck with painting and post up pics when done :thumb:

jwm1986 02-28-2011 08:09 PM

I meant semi-gloss btw... not semi-metallic

nohl75 02-28-2011 08:25 PM

Rustoleum Semi Gloss. This is my first post on this forum by the way.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j.../SSPX00152.jpg

shinysideup 02-28-2011 09:33 PM

I like the rustoleum textured; not sure what it's called exactly but it's got a picture of outdoor furniture on the front of the can. Do yourself a favor and get one of the trigger handles that fit the rattle cans.

rd-wrangler 03-03-2011 03:01 PM

i saw some Flat green under YJGrunt's thread and now im thinking ill go with green instead of black hahahah

mudhooligan514 03-03-2011 03:17 PM

I did my hard top and doors in Flat Black from Rustoleum worked great

rd-wrangler 03-11-2011 10:35 AM

should i remove the doors and hardtop to paint the body? or just leave everything on and cover them with paper?

Undead-89 03-11-2011 11:25 AM

definitely remove the doors an top. if you don't you wont get into those places and if you install a soft top and every time you open the doors you will see the old color. Even they are both "black" they may not be the same tint.

Kate 03-11-2011 11:32 AM

I wouldn't go flat, semi gloss will look better and last longer.
If you're painting the whole vehicle, check with your local automotive paint supplier or even at an O'Reillys (they sell PPG) and see what they have in larger cans than rattle cans. You may be able to save money by buying an inexpensive paint gun and shooting it that way.

Remember PREP is EVERYTHING. Poor prep means poor results.

rd-wrangler 03-11-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 1111030)
I wouldn't go flat, semi gloss will look better and last longer.
If you're painting the whole vehicle, check with your local automotive paint supplier or even at an O'Reillys (they sell PPG) and see what they have in larger cans than rattle cans. You may be able to save money by buying an inexpensive paint gun and shooting it that way.

Remember PREP is EVERYTHING. Poor prep means poor results.

what are some good prep tips? just sand it down and clean with a de-greaser?

the previous owner already stripped off the original paint, which was red. then he painted it the color it is now. id say it is a semi-gloss black of some kind right now.

im going to end up painting it flat army green.

Kate 03-12-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd-wrangler (Post 1111152)
what are some good prep tips? just sand it down and clean with a de-greaser?

the previous owner already stripped off the original paint, which was red. then he painted it the color it is now. id say it is a semi-gloss black of some kind right now.

im going to end up painting it flat army green.

Oh, well that makes a big difference. I thought you were going with black again.

If the PO already rattle canned it, you have your hands full already. :doh:

Google paint prep - google is your friend

rd-wrangler 03-13-2011 06:41 PM

Should I paint the hardtop flat black or army green to match the jeep?

Kate 03-13-2011 07:42 PM

Since it's not actually a military vehicle, IMHO the flares and trim (including the top) should be black. It makes a gorgeous contrast with OD green. Unlike military vehicles that don't always look as pretty as they do functional.

And once again. go with semi gloss, not flat black. Trust me on this one, it makes a WORLD of difference in how the end results look and last.

rd-wrangler 05-05-2011 12:48 PM

well i have an update for anyone who is interested..

i bought all the supplies i needed last weekend and was ready to go but then i remember that on my Registration there is a description for COLOR of the jeep. then i decided to check the title and yup there was a color description there. so i held off until i found out some more info on what i need to do with the DMV. i called them up and they told me i need to go to the DMV and get a duplicate registration ($5) and a duplicate title ($60). now i am just thinking about going with semi-gloss black and not army green :(. i just hate going to the DMV and then paying $65...doesnt seem worth it to me right now....but i did spend $50 on army green paint/supplies and im pretty sure you cant return spray paint so i guess im SOL. this made me a little sad inside.

Undead-89 05-05-2011 01:04 PM

You could always make it "mostly" Black with the Green accents.

Jmnem21 05-05-2011 02:11 PM

I did mine with Krylon's "Rust-Tough" Semi-Flat paint. I used 6 cans total and I go them from Advanced Auto. It was roughly $40. The only problem I have ever run into with the semi-gloss and gloss rattle cans are that they leave over-spray lines when you go back and forth. I just painted some wood furniture last week and ran into that problem. But someone may be able to tell you how not to get that when you spray.

I liked the semi-flat cause it does add a little bit of a sheen to the paint as opposed to flat. I have some pics posted under my "Jeep profile" on the site.

Kate 05-05-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd-wrangler (Post 1221358)
well i have an update for anyone who is interested..

i bought all the supplies i needed last weekend and was ready to go but then i remember that on my Registration there is a description for COLOR of the jeep. then i decided to check the title and yup there was a color description there. so i held off until i found out some more info on what i need to do with the DMV. i called them up and they told me i need to go to the DMV and get a duplicate registration ($5) and a duplicate title ($60). now i am just thinking about going with semi-gloss black and not army green :(. i just hate going to the DMV and then paying $65...doesnt seem worth it to me right now....but i did spend $50 on army green paint/supplies and im pretty sure you cant return spray paint so i guess im SOL. this made me a little sad inside.

Hey... if you have your receipt, you should be able to return it no problem!!

Sorry that DMV took your fun money http://www.thedailyscrapper.com/foru...ons_no_sad.gif

Undead-89 05-05-2011 03:25 PM

I've thought about repainting another color but I don't want to have to get a new title, since I am the original Owner and have the original title still. I kinda like looking at it and seeing MCO for previous owner and Odometer Reading 10.

Kate 05-05-2011 04:49 PM

I've never heard of anyone having to get a new title for repainting their vehicle.

I worked in body shops a long time, NEVER heard of that. They must be pretty weird at the CO DMV.

rd-wrangler 05-05-2011 08:02 PM

Yeah I haven't heard of it either....honestly I think I'm just going to change the registration and call it a day. Its weird though cuz I downloaded the Title application from the DMV website and under the Description Vehicle section there is nothing for COLOR of vehcile..... besides when you sign the title over they never see your vehicle anyways and if you get pulled over the cop doesn't ask for your title.

ItsSabby 05-05-2011 08:44 PM

The cop asks for your registration, and the registration has the color of the vehicle on it. If you have a black top you should be okay. I wouldnt worry.

crtaylor 05-05-2011 09:24 PM

Its a jeep and its yours ,dont sweat the tag color code .paint which ever color you want.

Undead-89 05-05-2011 11:15 PM

If it is dark green you could just claim you are color blind and it looks black to you. And then you could over react to the cop and bitch how you paid to have the color on the title changed to black and it is still green and tell him how your ex-wife lied to you when she sent you in to get it done.

smpsn79 05-06-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undead-89
If it is dark green you could just claim you are color blind and it looks black to you. And then you could over react to the cop and bitch how you paid to have the color on the title changed to black and it is still green and tell him how your ex-wife lied to you when she sent you in to get it done.

Fantastic!!

jakec 05-06-2011 05:48 AM

hell the cops here couldnt tell the difference in a 96 white cherokee and a 88 black yj. my cherokee was legal so i would swap tags to drive the yj and got pulled over twice by state troopers in my black yj with a white cherokee tag and they never mentioned it. theyre both legal now by the way.

Tony 76 05-06-2011 07:08 AM

I agree with Kate I Also work at a bodyshop and been doing it for years and all that will happen is if you were to get pulled over the cops would verify the vin by looking at the windshield tag and be on there on way.

rd-wrangler 05-06-2011 07:51 AM

alright well i did a lot of thinking and with the help of all your suggestions/comments im going to go for it and paint army green! woohoo! if i ever do get questioned about the color from cops i will say i just painted it and wasnt aware that i needed to change my registration.... anyways i was thinking, doesnt the VIN # have a number or letter to state the color from the factory? the original color of my jeep was red until the PO painted it the black it is now...

Undead-89 05-06-2011 10:49 AM

There is a color paint tag but the Vin covers mechanical stuff, where it was built, the serial number, the type of vehicle and weight.